OT Weather....how cold is it where you are.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
On the road back in the day, I remember arriving in Canada in the winter, and I stopped for gas. The guy at the gas station asked me if I had an engine block heater. Being from Florida, I had never heard of such a thing. He said if you were parked outside all night, your engine block could freeze and crack.

I couldn't believe it, but I told the guy to install one. When I got to the hotel I was gigging at, every parking space had an AC outlet for engine block heaters. I also noticed that all the parking meters along the streets had AC outlets. And everybody's car had an AC cord hanging out of the grille.

I felt like I was on another planet!

That might be old technology. It was back in the 70's.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
On the road back in the day, I remember arriving in Canada in the winter, and I stopped for gas. The guy at the gas station asked me if I had an engine block heater. Being from Florida, I had never heard of such a thing. He said if you were parked outside all night, your engine block could freeze and crack.

I couldn't believe it, but I told the guy to install one. When I got to the hotel I was gigging at, every parking space had an AC outlet for engine block heaters. I also noticed that all the parking meters along the streets had AC outlets. And everybody's car had an AC cord hanging out of the grille.

I felt like I was on another planet!

That might be old technology. It was back in the 70's.
My first car was a 1979 Peugeot 504 diesel. It had a glow plug you had to use all winter long. If you didn't wait for the light to go off, the engine didn't start. All my friends laughed at me...also because top speed on the thing was like 73 MPH.

Cosh

Reaction score
Its currently sitting at 1 Celsius, but about to drop to -18 tomorrow.
Calling it an "East Coast Weather Bomb"

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Gulf coast of Florida, an hour north of Tampa.

Last night it was 25.

My 'heat pump' (reverse-cycle ac) would have run all night without pause if I didn't set the 'stat down to 66.

Using a couple of small stand-alone radiators in the bedroom and den to keep it comfy.

Could be worse: I arrived back home from NJ only yesterday. They have 18" already...

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Going down to minus 30 with 51km per hour winds tonight. Going to be a brisk one!

Personally, I love the winter. It's all about having the proper gear and knowing when to stay home.

"There is no such thing as bad weather. Just inadequate clothing and transportation." Ron Swanson

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Snowing in Savannah, GA.
Man, Ill bet thats going well! I lived just north of there many years ago and I remember an ice storm that shut everything down.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's pretty cold here in Toronto right now. The temperature itself wasn't too bad this afternoon by Toronto winter standards - about -10C (14F) but the wind started to really pick up and the wind chill downtown was killer - the sort of wind that actually makes your whole head hurt when you're walking into it. Lows for tonight are supposed to be about -23C (-10F), with the wind feeling like -35C (-31F). Yikes.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Major storm on the east coast, with winds, going to be super cold tomorrow....but other Than that.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
In Lafayette, IN, lows have been -5 to -19 every night for well over a week with highs mostly single digit.
8 to 10 inches of snow frozen solid. We have two heated water bowls out and have been feeding wildlife massive amounts of bird seed, nuts , corn, suet and more.