header.nohb.html

OT What books you reading??

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I got "Cream" bio on go.. "War of the world's" and "Life" by Keith Richards .. Artemis by Andy Weir next ( author of The Martian)

Gerry

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just finished "Democracy in Chains," and rereading "Shock Doctrine," by Naomi Klein while waiting for Amazon to deliver some Gregory Benford science fiction.

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just ran a post on "Another Season". It's Charlie Calello's autobiography and goes into his years with The 4 Seasons, and other groups, plus a lot of inside stuff on the NYC music biz in the 60's and after. It was a great read...made you feel like you were there.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I prefer movies to books, but I'm currently reading kind of a post-apocalyptic novel about what happens to the Amish (and their cellars full of canned foods) when a solar flare knocks out all electricity, electronics and most cars and machines.

It's called When the English Fall by David Williams.

New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice A July 2017 Indie Next Pick LibraryReads Selection July 2017 Amazon Top 10 Best Book of the Month

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JKHTN8I/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer movies to books, but I'm currently reading kind of a post-apocalyptic novel about what happens to the Amish (and their cellars full of canned foods) when a solar flare knocks out all electricity, electronics and most cars and machines.

It's called When the English Fall by David Williams.

New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice A July 2017 Indie Next Pick LibraryReads Selection July 2017 Amazon Top 10 Best Book of the Month

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JKHTN8I/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Interesting...I just finished "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen (also an NYT bestseller). In this book it was multiple EMPs over U.S., parts of Asia and Eastern Europe. It is set Black Mountsin North Carolina. Not the best dialogue but im my opinion he did a good job laying out the ramifications of such an event (albeit a "worse case scenario"). Good enough I ordered the second of the three part series "One Year After."

No Amish though....lol. I will have to check out your suggestion.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I normally have a few on the go ,

Enduring the Whirlwind ,The Wermacht in Russia 1941 - 43 .... Gregory Lietdke

Here There and Everywhere ... Geoff Emerick

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds a great title... Worth checking out??

Gerry
It is if you're intrigued by Leonardo's broad expanse of knowledge. His talents went far beyond painting. Isaacson doesn't skimp on background details.

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
A few of my " still to reads"
You can never have enough books...

Gerry
IMAG0571.jpg
IMAG0571.jpg
IMAG0570.jpg
IMAG0572.jpg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
We have an emerging reader in the house. I'm tuckered out reading aloud 45 min to an hour a day.(More on sick days and rainy saturdays). I hate to say I'm looking forward to reading on my own again, because it will be a little sad when he no longer wants us to read to him. But I am looking forward to picking my own books again.

Tolkien might be a nice change from Betty G Birney's Humphrey the Hamster books.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Im reading Mark Twains Autobiography.
He wrote it but specified it was to be published 100 yrs after his death so specific people that he talks about are already dead like him,so no ones around to call him out on it!
Very clever man

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im reading Mark Twains Autobiography.
He wrote it but specified it was to be published 100 yrs after his death so specific people that he talks about are already dead like him,so no ones around to call him out on it!
Very clever man

" I never let school interfere with my education " .... one of favorite Twain-isms .

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just ran a post on "Another Season". It's Charlie Calello's autobiography and goes into his years with The 4 Seasons, and other groups, plus a lot of inside stuff on the NYC music biz in the 60's and after. It was a great read...made you feel like you were there.

badknees

Reaction score
Slow Getting Up by Nate Jackson. Life in the NFL from the bottom of the pile. He went to a small school, training camp and practice squad fodder. Good book if you're in to football.

The Match by Mark Frost. It's about a golf match in 1956 where Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson played amateurs Ken Venturi and Harvey Ward. Goes into the careers of the four participants and the Crosby Clam Bake at Pebble Beach. Very good book if you are in to golf history.

Currently reading On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides. It's about the Chinese getting into the Korean war and how they caught the UN troops off guard. Seems pretty good so far but be prepared to expand your vocabulary.

Next up: The Birth of Loud by Ian S. Port. It is about the history of Leo Fender and Les Paul and their rivalry. I loaned it to a guitar playing friend of mine while I finish the above book. Should be fun.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just finished 1491 - Kind of a study of the Americas before Columbus arrived.

Just started 1493 - How the Americas changed as a result of Columbus' arrival.

Some pretty heady stuff, but I've grown more interested in history as I get older. Fascinating reads.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Currently reading Meet Me at Jim & Andys by Gene Lees.