OT: what do you think of where you live?

tomo221

Reaction score
The wife and I are sorta kinda halfway maybe perhaps possibly considering making a move from New England - where we’ve lived for most of our lives - to somewhere else (for several reasons), but we’re unsure where exactly we’re hoping to end up. We have a few places in mind that intrigue us, but we need to know more about what’s out there.

So tell me: where do you live, what do you like about it, and what don’t you like?

Climate, population, diversity, school system, art scene, social scene, traffic, red/blue state, job market, real estate market, general vibe, anything you can think of!

(We’re looking to stay within the US, by the way ...... though parts of Europe do seem pretty nice.)

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
socal where rent is through the roof for a dump, gas is high as the sky, its very crowded , taxes are sky high , electricity is sky high with blackouts, its best to know 150 different languages, the cost of living is high , everyhting is high , but we do have Pro Drum Shop so tis not that bad, yet !

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I've lived in L.A. my whole life except for the 6 years in the 1970s I was on the road in the midwest trying to become a rock star.

I love L.A. because:
  • It's my home town. I grew up here and I'm comfortable here.
  • The weather is warm. (After loading equipment in 38 below-zero weather in Minnesota I vowed to NEVER AGAIN live where it snows.) It never snows (well, once in 2012 here in Burbank) and temps rarely fall below 42 at night. Southern California is an irrigated desert, so it doesn't rain much, either.
  • It's cosmopolitan, with social, ethnic, cultural and political influences from all over the world. It's easy to feel like a part of something bigger than you, if you want to.
  • It's also segmented, so it's easy to withdraw from the larger scene into your local area, if you want or need to.
  • The predominant political orientation is blue, but things get redder the further away you go from urban areas. (CA state government is as blue as it gets.)
  • You can spend the early morning surfing and the late afternoon skiing (if you're willing to do a bit of driving). Every sort of outdoor activity is available year-round.
  • If you're willing to deal with crowds there's lots of world-class entertainment.
  • You can find quality restaurants of every ethnic stripe.
  • In normal (non-Covid) times, the bigger the city the more job opportunities there are of just about any type (well, except maybe coal mining). An area with over 10 million people should present lots of employment opportunities.
    • If you mean jobs playing drums, that's a different story. You'll be a very small fish in a very large sea, competing with some of the very best in the business. If you want to make a living playing music you must have your connections and network firmly established before you move here.
and...
  • Professional Drum Shop in Hollywood is the best drum store on the planet!
I hate L.A. because:
  • It's crowded and it's very spread out at the same time. There are lots of areas (the places where people most want to live) that are horribly congested and difficult to navigate.
  • There's no public transportation to speak of. If you want to get anywhere except for downtown Los Angeles city, you're driving. Jobs are spread all over the area, making being able to commute by mass transit strictly a matter of luck. Until I retired last year I spent between 3 and 4 hours a day driving to and from work, which was 59 miles from my home. My previous employer was only 26 miles from my home (in a completely different part of town), but I still spent at least 2 hours a day driving. There was no way to use public transportation to get to either job.
  • Housing prices (purchase or rent) are astronomically high. This is the premium we pay for the nice weather.
  • School quality varies depending on the local school district. L.A. Unified School District schools as a rule aren't very good, so if you have kids in K – 12 you need to do your research about schools before selecting a place to live.
  • Police and fire services within Los Angeles city and its unincorporated areas are spread pretty thin. The smaller independent communities are usually better. I live in Burbank (a completely independent city from L.A.) and the one time I had to call 9-1-1 for a medical emergency there were three 6-foot tall EMTs in my living room in 4 minutes.
  • Although the air quality is many, many times better than it was before we created the Air Quality Management District in the '70s, we still have the most consistently crappy air quality in the USA. (I realize that saying "But, you should have seen it before!" don't mean dick, but trust me — you should have seen it before! There were days in the '60s we were sent home from school early because taking a deep breath would cause sharp pains in your lungs. I grew up in a valley surrounded by 6,000-foot tall mountains that you could not see 300 days a year. Things are way better now.)
Good luck in your quest! I hope you find the perfect place that you'll love to call "home".

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you move to lost angeles the san fernando valley is one of the best places to live. It is similar to Houston neighborhoods, nice 4 lane straight 10+ mile long flat streets. Small shopping centers everywhere. 2 Big shopping malls. Some famous musicians like here. David Garibaldi lived about 5 miles from me in the late 1980's. a guy that played guitar for Cooper lives about 2 miles away. Glen Sobell was in the local GC several years ago as was Rick Allen. Crime is low in the valley. Also Waynes World movie music store is about 5 miles from me. There a bar about a mile away that use to have open jam night once a week that will hopefully come back. Lots of parks. I can drive 15 minutes and be in another world in the mountians. i can drive to the Santa Monica beach in about 20 minutes in light traffic. Magic mountain is about 20 minutes north of me.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in South Jersey, and love the rural open spaces and the proximity to both Atlantic City and Philly. A person from SOUTH Jersey will always use that distinction rather than saying they're from New Jersey, because anything north of Gloucester County might as well be Mars. It should really be a separate state. We pay dearly for the foolishness of the northern part of the state (highest property taxes and car insurance in the nation). I could save over $12K a year simply by moving 25 mins. over the bridge, but the urban sprawl that has infected Delaware keeps me from making the move.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Austin, Tx everyone wants to move here! lol Lots of live music of pretty much every genre pretty much every night (except for now) Housing is high within the city, better in the smaller surrounding towns. Traffic sucks (except for now) I have an 18 mile commute to work takes 30 to 40 minutes....the good though lots of Tech jobs and average to above average pay.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve lived all over the US. Best quality of life for me was Minneapolis. Great music scene, lots of arts and culture, very diverse population, not too expensive. The only downside was the weather: too hot and mosquito-y in Summer, and the rest of the year is winter.

I ended up settling down in Portland Oregon, been here 13 years. I don’t recommend it. Only staying because the climate suits my wife. It’s expensive, homogenous, and overtaken by millionaire property developers. But there is one huge upside: close proximity to a wide range of beautiful outdoors areas. Mountains, rivers, woods; even in the center of town you’re only a few minutes away from a nature trail.

musicman64

Reaction score
After living in Seattle, Portland, New Haven, San Francisco, Houston, Portland again, I am finally in a place I really feel comfortable in..Southern Arizona...yes it's HOT for 3-4 months..but the rest of the time it's sooo comfortable. so I look at it like 3-4 months of air-conditioning, verses 5-6 months of heating bills...no contest.

Reactions: JDA

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've lived all over the US east of the Mississippi river. I did not like the what I call the "Upper East Coast" or the Metropolis that is Northern Virginia north to New England.
That being said, the Midwest is where I gravitate to. Towns like Minneapolis, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis have surrounding suburban areas that offer all the amenities of "big city" living, rural charm, yet not traffucked, at a far less cost of living than where you are.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in South Jersey, and love the rural open spaces and the proximity to both Atlantic City and Philly. A person from SOUTH Jersey will always use that distinction rather than saying they're from New Jersey, because anything north of Gloucester County might as well be Mars. It should really be a separate state. We pay dearly for the foolishness of the northern part of the state (highest property taxes and car insurance in the nation). I could save over $12K a year simply by moving 25 mins. over the bridge, but the urban sprawl that has infected Delaware keeps me from making the move.
Yep...the 'other' New Jersy-SOUTH JERSEY...lol "Jersey Born (Camden) Jersey Bred...(Medford)."

A lot to complain about...but more to appreciate than many other places.

Pretty much my backyard-looking over the Pine Barrens towards Long Beach Island on the Jersey Shore.

Apple Pie Tower.jpg

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We're very close to the geographic center of NY State here, not far from Syracuse and Cooperstown. I'd agree with bongomania that our overall quality of life was best in the Twin Cities, and that the summers there were awful regarding the weather and the mosquitoes. I liked the winters better there, though-- it was cold but it was sunny, unlike the overcast skies here.

Anyway, the area where I have lived for the last 20 years is rural, quiet, beautiful. The winters are long and snowy and-- the worst part-- overcast, but May through September is usually glorious. Taxes are too high and a lot of the money goes to NYC. Rural and urban poverty upstate is pretty rough in places, especially in the towns decimated by the loss of manufacturing jobs.

We live in a college town, which means that it's pretty, well-resourced, and full of restaurants and stuff, good farmer's market, not too many chain stores. We basically like it here, though I will admit we'd happily move to Vermont if we could. I could certainly imagine moving to Iceland or somewhere in Scandinavia to get away from the toxic culture here. The feeling of knowing you're not going to get mass-murdered is pretty intoxicating.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I am in Boise. It was the no1 moved to city last year. Please do not come here and tell everyone else the same. Not trying to be mean, but we have enough and I don't really want to see the price continue to soar on homes or the traffic to get bad.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I can say this much...stay out of Jersey. this state is such a financial mess, our taxes are out of control. There's also very little going on except in the exceptionally overly crowded areas.

If I had my wish, it would be northern California, on the coast north of San Francisco.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep...the 'other' New Jersy-SOUTH JERSEY...lol "Jersey Born (Camden) Jersey Bred...(Medford)."

A lot to complain about...but more to appreciate than many other places.

Pretty much my backyard-looking over the Pine Barrens towards Long Beach Island on the Jersey Shore.

View attachment 442922

I'm from Willingboro and always make the "South Jersey" distinction. Now I live over the bridge in Levittown PA.

The pluses-

It's convenient. I live 3 miles from 95, the turnpike and closer to Route 1. My girlfriend works in Princeton and I worked in Philly (Yardley now), so she could head north and I headed south. Everything is literally around the corner, including live music if you're a gigging drummer. If you want to see a concert, you can catch your favorite band in Philly/Camden, Atlantic City or I'm 10 minutes from the Trenton train station where I can be at MSG in a little over an hour. If you want to go to the beach you can head due east and be there in less than an hour. If you would prefer a lake or mountains, you're not far as well.

The negatives-

Levittown itself has gone down hill and the heroin epidemic has really hit hard. For those that grew up here, the conveniences I mentioned above only equal more traffic and lots of strip shopping centers. You can move to a higher rent zip code a few miles away, but you still can't escape the traffic.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ottawa's OK . No heavy industry here , lots of trees, parks, huge river and I like to fish . World class skiing in the Laurentians , 980 klms. of paved and well maintained bikeways , violent crime not an issue if you know which areas to stay clear of and how to recognize it coming your way , health care if you need it , police are generally law abiding , clean water out of the tap .

I've been to far worse places in this world . Ottawa's better than most, not as good as some others . Shannon Ireland and Zurich Switzerland if I was half the age I am now .

Last edited: