OT: What is this squidart dude about anyway? Warning. Brady Bunch Content

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave/Squid preceded me in the money band I've been in for the last 21 years, through which (in addition to my day gigs) I managed to put 2 kids through college. He is indeed a great player, whose shoes were a challenge to fill. He's also the funniest drummer I know. The guy can crack jokes with his drums in the midst of a song, and actually GET AWAY WITH IT. Many have tried, few have succeeded.

Dave, I'm glad we could reconnect here on DFO.
AH
Why didn't Mark just call it the Money Band? Lol!

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Squid, Great work. What did you carve/make the mold out of? Have always liked your avatar pic.
Thanks Green Glass! I sculpt a rough in plasticine clay. Then make a mold of that with silicone. A casting is made in that mold with a hard tooling wax which I can really carve into to get the tight details and textures.
The lettering is done in a reverse rubber stamp and embedded into the plasticine before making the mold. Here's the plasticine model before the type was added:
7A7A3434-4B60-4177-B060-F7AC5680E2B8.jpeg

2EF9F5CB-2AC8-4F2F-93E8-0BF5DD2E5DF1.jpeg

9DFCD317-140F-4EF3-80E6-A6CDB9BB0486.jpeg

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work!!!
Now, where can I get one of those Kansas City Drumworks shirts?
Weren't they a boutique drum builder back in the 80's?

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work!!!
Now, where can I get one of those Kansas City Drumworks shirts?
Weren't they a boutique drum builder back in the 80's?
Yep. Gary Boyle and Darren Henderson were the owners and they made some very nice stuff. Not sure when they actually folded. I'll see if I can get you hooked up with a friend who recently reprinted those.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Gary Boyle and Darren Henderson were the owners and they made some very nice stuff. Not sure when they actually folded. I'll see if I can get you hooked up with a friend who recently reprinted those.
Thanks!
I used to play in K.C. quite a bit back in the 80's and have vague memories of someone raving about them.
But then again, the 80's are kind of a blur.
(sorry, I hope I'm not crapping on your thread)

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I used to play in K.C. quite a bit back in the 80's and have vague memories of someone raving about them.
But then again, the 80's are kind of a blur.
(sorry, I hope I'm not crapping on your thread)
No worries. My threads are already full of crap! :)
Where did you play in KC?
I played at Howard Street Tavern in Omaha a few times back then. We probably did a lot of the same midwest joints.

Last edited:

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries. My threads are already full of crap! :)
Where did you play in KC?
I played at Howard Street Tavern in Omaha a few times back then. We probably did a lot of the same midwest joints.
Wow, small world. I was in the house band at the Howard St. Tavern and I also tended bar when I wasn't on the road.
Used to play at the Grand Emporium in KC, and a place in Westport....Blaineys maybe??

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, small world. I was in the house band at the Howard St. Tavern and I also tended bar when I wasn't on the road.
Used to play at the Grand Emporium in KC, and a place in Westport....Blaineys maybe??
Yep. Blaney's the dankest basement in town. Fun times there. Grand Emporium was a great place.
Played Howard Street around 79-80 in Camerata Band. Council Bluffs at some place I can't recall. Des Moines at So's Your Mother, Ames, Lincoln...
I'm tired just thinking about the drives at 3:00 am. Haha!