OT: What Is Your Favorite Rolling Stones Song or Album?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I recently have become a big fan of the Rolling Stones. I know, I'm way behind a lot of you guys/girls. I'm a big Prog Rock and Heavy Metal fan. Couldn't tell how I recently got hooked on the Stones.

I think I read somewhere that Charlie Watts is another great that never took drum lessons. He has certainly put a good spin on a lot of their songs. I certainly appreciate his style on each and every Stones song, and has a unique style and grace.

I'm still figuring out my favorites.

So, what is your favorite Rolling Stones Song? What is your favorite Album/CD?

Last edited:

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Favorite song is paint it black. Favorite Album is voodoo lounge.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Album: Some Girls. Favorite track is a lot more difficult. I you asked me today it's Sympathy for the devil.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My band recently worked up Tumbling Dice, and it's a ball to play.

With that said, Charlie's unique approach to Honky Tonk Women is so far outside what any other drummer would have played, that I'm impressed every time I hear it.

To me, Exile on Main Street is the perfect desert island album. First of all, all the tracks are pretty dense and seem to have been recorded without giving particular prominence to any one instrument. I've heard it hundreds of times, but it still yields surprises with each listen -- Oh, there are two saxes on this! Wow, pedal steel on a Stones track! Is that Keith Richards on the organ?

Also, the vocals are not particularly prominent in the mix and Jagger and Richards (who sings Happy) didn't enunciate sharply on any track -- so I'm still surprised by some of the lyrics.

In fact, I'd never considered what the lyrics to Tumbling Dice are until we started rehearsing it a couple of weeks ago. Just for a sample, here's a random verse:

Honey, got no money
I'm all sixes and sevens and nines
Say now baby, I'm the rank outsider
You can be my partner in crime.

I had no idea.

In a similar vein, it wasn't until I saw "20 Feet From Stardom" (a great documentary about back up singers) that I knew that Merry Clayton was singing "rape, murder. It's just a shot away."

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sticky Fingers is awesome. Also love Exile. Not really a huge fan of the albums per se

However they have a ton of killer songs: Midnight Rambler, Can You Hear me Knockin, Bitch, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Jumping Jack Flash, Monkey Man, Paint It Black (RIP Brian Jones!), Gimme Shelter.....just too many songs! Both early and mid/late!

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Give me shelter
Waiting on a friend
Monkey man
Angie
Can you hear me knocking
Daddy you’re a fool to cry
Not necessarily in that order but
all classics that bring me back,
daddy your a fool to cry was my first 45 I brought at Sam Goody

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Oh, I also love Star Star, The Under-Assistant West Coast Promotion Man and Live With Me:

Live With Me
got nasty habits, I take tea at three
Yes, and the meat I eat for dinner
Must be hung up for a week
My best friend, he shoots water rats
And feeds them to his geese
Don'cha think there's a place for you
In between the sheets?
Come on now, honey
We can build a home for three
Come on now, honey
Don't you want to live with me?

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Count me in for "Exile On Main Street." Partly because I started playing drums in 1972 (when Exile was released) and my sister played it day and night. I was hooked. But also because it's a masterpiece.

There's no denying the Jimmy Miller and Mick Taylor era was their most productive period: Beggar's Banquet (pre Mick Taylor), Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll (post Jimmy Miller). Those are all records you can listen to from start to finish.

In the post Mick Taylor era Black And Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You are their best records.

Hard to pin down a definitive favorite song. It's probably "All Down The Line" but there are so many... "19th Nervous Breakdown" still astonishes me. "Monkey Man" is a masterclass on drum set orchestration... "Let It Loose" and "Loving Cup" from Exile... and "Tumbling Dice" of course.

I strongly urge you to delve into some of their bootlegs, which have been remixed and made commercially available. "The Brussels Affair" from their 1973 European tour is the Stones during the peak of their superpowers. Also "L.A. Forum Live 1975" from their '75 US tour and the first tour with Ronnie Wood. Sonically great and the band was in great form.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, Memory Motel is probably one of my favourites . Ends on the prettiest cymbal ever recorded - 602 Paiste , 16" I think .