OT: What Is Your Favorite Rolling Stones Song or Album?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Favorite songs:
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Rocks Off
Bitch

Favorite album:
Exile (it really isn’t even close)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rocks Off is hard to beat. I find most of their albums spotty, but both Sticky Fingers and Exile are pretty damn solid.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beast of Burden for me. In my opinion, that is the perfect rock n roll drum sound, and I'm not really a huge Stones fan.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
'Sympathy for the devil" as the most fun to play but I have never been into their albums to be honest."

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Slave is my jam.

Bitch is up there. So is Rocks Off. Really dig Just My Imagination (Running Away w/Me), especially Charlie's sublime work on the intro.

I'm really just discovering his drumming after dismissing it for many years.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My top 3. All pretty atmospheric.
1.Gimme Shelter
2. Paint it Black
3. Sympathy for the Devil

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stones' Trivia - We all know Jimmy Miller handled drumming on a few iconic Stones'hits, but did you know that's Kenny Jones on ' It's Only Rock n Roll ' ?

Yes. I think it was discussed on this thread? Or perhaps on the Charlie Watts “Sympathy For The Drummer” thread.

It’s Only Rock N Roll (the song) was written and recorded at Ronnie Wood’s home studio while Ronnie was still in the Faces and when him and Mick wanted to lay down a demo, it was Kenney on drums and Willie Weeks on bass. They later had Charlie take a pass but everyone, including Charlie, liked the original rhythm track so they kept it. It works because it sounds like Charlie... sort of ;)

Last edited:

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently have become a big fan of the Rolling Stones. I know, I'm way behind a lot of you guys/girls. I'm a big Prog Rock and Heavy Metal fan. Couldn't tell how I recently got hooked on the Stones.

I think I read somewhere that Charlie Watts is another great that never took drum lessons. He has certainly put a good spin on a lot of their songs. I certainly appreciate his style on each and every Stones song, and has a unique style and grace.

I'm still figuring out my favorites.

So, what is your favorite Rolling Stones Song? What is your favorite Album/CD?
I like the groove and sound of the original Suzie Q

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it obvious, or true, but I always thought that Let it Bleed was a take off on Let It Be? "Take my arm, take my leg, aw baby, take my head. LOL!
Although Let It Be was recorded before Let It Bleed, Let It Bleed was released in December 1969, five months before Let It Be (May 1970). The similarities in titles are coincidence. Two extremely different records.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s Only Rock N Roll (the song) was written and recorded at Ronnie Wood’s home studio while Ronnie was still in the Faces and when him and Mick wanted to lay down a demo, it was Kenney on drums and Willie Weeks on bass. They later had Charlie take a pass but everyone, including Charlie, liked the original rhythm track so they kept it. It works because it sounds like Charlie... sort of ;)
Kenney's toms just kill on that song. They sound so great.

J

jaymandude

Exile. No question. I mean the damn thing opens with Rocks Off. That's just too bad azz

espillier

Reaction score
I love it when they play the blues. Special mention for the third side of ‘Love You Live’. Also their version of Little Red Rooster from Flashpoint (with Eric Clapton).

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have found myself continuously returning to "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I absolutely love the a capella choir and the french horn intro.

I love that song.

I like how on the live DVD's they get local a capella choir to sing during the concert.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that song has become too political to play. Last time we covered it some folks started chanting four more years. Some for, some against... So we decided to drop it entirely

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is "You Can't Always Get What You Want" political? I just read through the lyrics and don't get it.
I think he's referring to 'someone' playing it at their campaign rallies (even though Mick & Keith asked them to stop) which in itself, is ironic i.e. playing a song about not getting what you want.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite song is Jumpin' Jack Flash. I have always enjoyed playing that one in bands too.

Favorite album is Sticky Fingers, so many great songs on that record.