OT - What was the best "golden age" decade in music?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I was a teenager in the 90's, but my preferred era was and still is the 50's/60's, though it now includes the 70's through 90's, and some modern. I don't think any era is "the golden age," because they all had genre defining music and some duds. There's likely to be something enjoyable for most people in any era.

WLVN

Reaction score
I think of it in terms of the golden age of a particular genre i.e. the fifties for rock 'n' roll, the forties for swing, the thirties for jazz. Something about "golden" makes me think of the point in time where a particular genre initially started and flourished. My favorite era for rock was the sixties and seventies with the early seventies (71-75) having the most really standout rock records released.

124706661_10224252034438737_713580014491886256_n.jpg

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Perhaps mot my personal favorite but I don’t know how you beat roughly 64-74. From the Beatles to Zeppelin and everything in between.

claytronica

Reaction score
Rock, blues, jazz - the standard variety of popular music genres.

Since 1900 what has been the defining "golden age" of music that has passed and evolved/devolved into something else? Or is evolving now? However you look at it.

Discuss.
For rock and pop, I've always thought 1971 was particularly prolific. Sure enough, a book came out in 2016 by David Hepworth, called Never a Dull Moment - arguing that 1971 was THE year for pop and rock. Doesn't matter if you agree or not, it's a really entertaining read.

Monday317

Reaction score

Since 1900 what has been the defining "golden age" of music that has passed and evolved/devolved into something else? Or is evolving now? However you look at it.

Discuss.
The music you grew up with and liked of course. I was a Beatlemaniac in my youth; my teenagers just Pat me on the head with a withering sneer these days.

We can revere the past and appreciate the present. Arguing is pointless.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strictly speaking rock, it's golden age to me was the 60's, 70's and the first half of the 80's.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Golden Age of music was when the whole band could all walk in and lay down a recording, walk out and then have it released as they played it. And when you went to their concerts that's when they did their variants to their music before their audience. Grid-manipulated, overly-processed, auto-tuned, soul-less, robo-noise canned for what I call an ignorant audience is what's almost always been released for two decades now. I've always been a staunch proponent of only buying recordings of live concerts. It's live or nothing with me. A musician proves their weight in live performances. We're at the Lead Age of music the way I see it.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
For drums it was the early sixties starting with Motown, the drums were moved from the back to the front.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Discuss.
if you weren't born in time to hear the 40-50-60's music development- then you like the 80's.. I grew up listening to Big Band (Dad liked it- his stereo- his station)- while in HS band, Jazz was the thing- watching Jazz develop and then the fusion.. meanwhile Rock and Roll was hot... Country still didn't have drums :not true:but that was the Grand Ole Opry/ Bluegrass influence. Scary thought- Kids of the 90's- 10's 20's will think Rap and C-Rap is normal music.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If we must limit ourselves to one 10-year interval, I'm going to go with something like 1958-68. Although on the assumption that answering this question is like booking an airline ticket, I need to add that my dates are flexible.

What I'm trying to capture chronologically is a decade when popular musical genres overlapped, influenced each other, and to some extent representative examples of each were played on the same radio stations. I think that during the late 50s and into the mid 60s we find this. Jazz, country, blues, rock, and tin pan alley all kind of coexisted.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t see any greater output than the 1967 to 1979 period.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mid 60’s to mid 70’s and a short 60’s revival in early 90’s grunge.
There was and there is plenty great solo acts in between, but never again such influential as “era”

Last edited:

Whitten

Reaction score
Nothing since 1990. I would say 1970 to 1980 (actually to about 1985).
That was when some of the most adventurous, innovative music was made. Also, when albums most people cherish (long term) were made.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a preference for the 70's and the 90's. The 90s were my teenage years, so it will always be #1 for me. You're basically doomed to prefer the decade in which you turned 14 or 15.
This statement is the most accurate one I've read regarding this topic. I'm have the exact same opinion. And the 90s were my teenage years as well.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This statement is the most accurate one I've read regarding this topic. I'm have the exact same opinion. And the 90s were my teenage years as well.
It's not my idea. I got it from an Adam Neely video, and as I recall, there is research to confirm this phenomenon. Adam says he'll always love Nu Metal. So it's scientific... or something.

Drummertist

Reaction score
Basically anything from the 30s to the mid 90s. After that everything became cookie-cutter and awful. Ever heard the term “everything’s a remix”? It came from any music after the mid 90s.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me

the hard bop era of the late 50's - early 60's (this is what I listen to the most now, and probably would not have if I had never taken up the drums late in life)
the prog era of the early 70's.
the late 70s' early 80's punk era. (The Clash is still the GOAT rock & roll band IMHO).
the blues revival of the 80's (no small credit to SRV).
the grunge era of the early 90's (still play Soundgarden regularly)
any year Depeche Mode released a record but late 80's early 90's were my fav's.
any year Steely Dan released a record, but late 70's were their golden years.
Opeth after Mikel ditched the death metal Cookie Monster vocal styling in favor of pure prog rock. He has a really good voice when he sings normally and he's a damn good guitar player.

Just my 2 cents. There is no one good decade. Every one has it's good points and its bad points.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gotta be the 70s. This tune is so good, and the drums sound like the typical 70s dead drum sound, but are a feature and add to the vibe.