OT: What Was The Last Concert You Saw?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A night with Jeff Coffin featuring Nir Felder, Felix Pastorius and Keith Carlock... what a night!

20191204_191426.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw Tommy James and the..
Shondells a couple years ago. Sounded just like the record. And on youtube (recent performances)
enjoyed some in the crowd better than the show. hung out mostly at the lobby bar.
That was it.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was my last show. Wow, doesn't seem like 4 1/2 years ago.

I was never able to travel around the country with Phish, like so many used to do back in the day. I did get to see them in NYC in 1998 for the Dec 29th, and New Year's Eve shows. It was actually a really horrible experience considering I was around my girlfriend and all of her idiot friends.

But the 16' was great! My buddy had never seen Phish live.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Right before the pandemic hit I was volunteering doing drum tech/stage hand work for the big jazz festival in my town, the Portland Jazz Festival. I ended up working a whole lot of shows within a couple week period and did mostly the kind of newer, up and coming acts that were playing small venues. I saw a lot of really great, really creative, forward thinking music, giving me the feeling that jazz music is having a bit of a renaissance. I remember a younger woman at one of the shows that I was talking to was telling me that jazz is something that's very popular among her group of friends...

I can't quite remember which show was the last in a string of them that I worked at (and took in) but amoung them were two groups led by really fantastic young drummers, Kassa Overall and Jonathan Barber. The first one of which was doing music that was more on the experimental side that incorporated everything from rap to, funk electronic, etc and the second was a more straight ahead affair but with really great original compositions and particularly tight, empathetic band.

Before you all have me pegged as some sort of a jazz snob, I'll mention here that the most eagerly awaited show on my calendar for a number of years was Kraftwerk... who unfortunately was cancelled due to the pandemic. I had great seats too, cheap ones but on a spot where the sight and sound would have been perfect (no need to get closer, more expensive ones IMO). It was to be this tour were they were doing a full-on multimedia thing with 3D graphics and was in a really nice venue where the sound and signtlines are great from just about any seat.

Last edited:

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Vulfpeck, Madison Square Garden. 9/28/19.
I like what I've heard from that band but I had no idea that they were a big enough thing to play the MSG. Nice to know that it isn't just big rock legacy acts and shiny new pop groups aimed at the pre-teen crowd that can fill up those big stadiums...

Cpb282

Reaction score
I like what I've heard from that band but I had no idea that they were a big enough thing to play the MSG. Nice to know that it isn't just big rock legacy acts and shiny new pop groups aimed at the pre-teen crowd that can fill up those big stadiums...
Yeah, I think some folks came from pretty far away. Impressive feat given that they don’t have a record label supporting them though. Chris Thile (mandolin) was there too, which was a special treat. Very high energy show.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
"The Pineapple Thief" featuring the great Gavin Harrison. His playing continues to inspire. And he's quite the amateur conjurer!

JBludwig

Reaction score
I took my family to see Steely Dan at the Orpheum in Boston before the shutdown. They were on a four or five night stint. They played the entire Donald Fagen Night Flight album and then a bunch of hits. The sound was incredible! Both my kids loved it. My 17 years old daughter said it was the best show she’d ever seen! (Wasn’t hard to top Taylor Swift and Five seconds of Summer)
We had tickets to Elton John in NYC (cancelled) My son and I were supposed to see Tower of Power in Plymouth Mass in October. (Cancelled)
Hopefully we’ll see some live music by next summer.

Floyd 2112

Reaction score
What was the last concert you saw before the pandemic hit and shut everything down?

For me it was Opeth in the middle of February at Cleveland’s Agora Theatre .
Man I've somehow managed to make myself unavailable every single time Opeth have been to Australia! How were they, amazing?

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a friend from work to go see the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio and Lettuce in Harrisburg on Jan 31. Got to the venue early and were the first ones in the door. Stayed front and center all night!

IMG_20200131_210202889.jpg

IMG_20200131_210827054.jpg

IMG_20200131_225717640.jpg

IMG_20200131_225745293.jpg

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David Byrne American Utopia in Tucson......seems a couple lifetimes ago.

Regards
Don

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my memory ain't what it used to be. I can tell you the last four concerts I attended, just not sure which was the last.

Kansas/Styx/Foreigner at what was originally called Deer Creek, an outdoor venue near Indy
Psychedelics Furs at the House of Blues in Chicago (though I don't recall who, one of our DFO members was playing with them at the time with a vintage Rogers kit)
Yes in Merrillville, IN (Squire was still alive)
Alice Cooper in Merrillville, IN - The Dragontown tour - 2007

At any rate, it's been a while.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Can’t remember, it was either Kiss at the Boston Garden or Steely Dan at the Wang Center. I think they were around the same time. First time seeing Kiss, Probably 20th time seeing Steely Dan.