OT: What's for dinner?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like the title says: What's for dinner? Shows us your meals and recepies.

Tonight I had an open bottle of Chianti in the kitchen as well as some nice pancetta, and pecorino, left over from carbonara-night yesterday, in the fridge. So the obvious choice for today was spaghetti amatriciana (or rather my take on it, as purists would say I use entirely too many ingredients).

Anyway it starts with garlic, celery, carrot, shallots, and pancetta:

Sauté away:

And about 30 minutes (and some chili flakes, half a glass of white wine, a tin of tomatoes, a generous handful of pecorino, some herbs, etc.) later:

Not the best pics (I'll never win Instagram), but the content was delicious!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, I'd like some garlic bread with that, please, extra butter, and for dessert, some port and a nice cigar, and a fat cannoli and a double cap........

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
Out to my favorite Thai joint for Panang: Peanut curry sauce, pork, green beans, red and green sweet peppers, carrots and of course, Thai peppers. THAI HOT, please!

I'm the only one who gets it Thai hot and it took some convincing to get them used to my high resistance. Now, they call me "Mr. Spicy."

panang.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CSR

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tequila carnitas

Prep oil, cumin/chili powder/cinnamon/garlic powder with dried chilies and about 3lbs of pork loin. Sear the loin, Deglaze with tequila and grapefruit juice and cook for 2hrs.shred in the liquid and eat.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
We did meatball onion bombs, apparently all the rage with upperwardly mobile gastro kind of peeps !! :wink:
Hint, smaller onions, more betererererer, raise temp after BBQ glaze for last 20 minutes to crisp the porky pig goodness !! :wink:

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
mkelley said:
Tequila carnitas

Prep oil, cumin/chili powder/cinnamon/garlic powder with dried chilies and about 3lbs of pork loin. Sear the loin, Deglaze with tequila and grapefruit juice and cook for 2hrs.shred in the liquid and eat.

That looks great, I would have to test the tequila first to be sure it was high quality, then test again just to be sure....maybe even a third time, better to be safe than sorry ;)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife does all the heavy lifting when it comes to cooking anything fancy. My cooking is all pretty simple quick stuff, so I cook during the week usually and she cooks on the weekends.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's the 3rd Thursday of the month, so tonight my band plays our monthly gig at LT's Grill, in Niskayuna, NY.
Part of the deal is meals + drinks for the band.
I will probably order their excellent pulled pork, and a couple bottles of Lake Placid Ubu Ale.
(Although we get our food & beer or free, we always tip our waitress generously ... they take good care of us musicians.)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mashed turnip, kale,spinach and red onion salad, shake and bake pork chops .

Cherry cheesecake with coffee

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
IMG_20151108_164318.jpg
IMG_20151108_183648.jpg

bone in pork roast with baby potatoes, onions and garlic. pork seasoned with s&p, fennel seed and granulated garlic.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm the official chef in our house. My wife can make a few dishes, but I'm the one that likes to experiment with recipes and such.

Here are a couple recent ones:

Panko breaded shrimp. This was my first time making it and it turned out amazing, if I say so myself. Sides are salad with lemon ginger dressing and chow mein noodles, and steamed veggies.

Panko shrimp.jpg

This was from a couple days ago; fajitas. Found a marinade on the Pioneer Woman's blog and let the meat marinade for a few hours. It's mostly hidden by the peppers and onions, but it's there. Homemade guacamole and refried beans.

Fajitas.jpg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tonite. Pork steaks grilled over mesquite. Tapit IPA, brewed just up the street. Coleslaw. Nothing more needed! image.jpeg

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I made veal chops last night stuffed with: fontina cheese, lightly parboiled spinach, and prosciutto and marinated with balsamic vinegar dressing a couple hours beforehand. Grilled properly with the Weber Grill !!! Fresh grilled asparagus, and bite size red skin 1/2d potatoes in a foil pack with rosemary and secret marinade. Wife and I enjoyed some Sam Adams Octoberfest beer along with it !! :wink:

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha! This is one of the weirdest O.T. threads ever.

But Buddy like Italian and Nathan's hot dogs.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hawker said:
Ha! This is one of the weirdest O.T. threads ever.

But Buddy like Italian and Nathan's hot dogs.
I don't know, eating is on the very small list of things that we all 100% surely have in common.

I do about 75% of the cooking when I'm at home (the wife is a good cook, and perfectly willing, but since I'm on the road for work a lot, I like getting in the kitchen when I'm not stuck in a hotel)

Saturday night we used some tomaotoes from our garden and some fresh pasta from a local producer, as well as garlic, red pepper flakes and some freshly grated parmesan (the real deal Parmiggiano Regianno)

Tomatoes in Sieve.JPG
Tomatoes in pan.JPG
Tomatoes with pasta.JPG