OT: What's for dinner?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favourite tapas place was sort of on the way home from picking up a new retro saddle for one of my bikes.
So I had to have a couple of pinchos - tuna salad, and pata negra ham with aioli

And pulpo

Reactions: TPC

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^Albarino?
I think so, but I can't say for shure. I just asked for a glass of something crisp and fruity to go with the octopus. And this place only serves good wine. So I just take whatever the server suggests, without looking at the label.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a couple of rough days at work, so I couldn't be bothered to cook anything tonight. I also didn't feel like take-out. So I went to the restaurant downstairs from mine for dinner.

I got the stuffed quail, which is probably the best dish I've had there. But the wine was all kinds of wrong - I asked the head waiter (who is one of my flat-mates) for whatever he thought would be good, and he brought me a glass of rosé, which was way to crisp and acidic for that dish. A nice, mellow pinot noir would have been perfect, but they don't sell those by the glass, so I settled on a glass of merlot.

I had to get some cheese as well. Tomme de Savoie, Morbier, and Compté, laid up in the wrong order.
It's a shame, really. The food is very good. But the attention to detail is so poor that if I didn't get half of my drinks-tap comped, I wouldn't be coming there.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I spent the entire day yesterday making a giant pot of pasta sauce. It's been a few years since I've made a sauce, and I never did one like this before -- starting with grated carrots and diced onions. I put lamb, pork and beef ribs in, chopped basil and parsley -- and of course a healthy smack of grated garlic. I also made 51 mozzarella stuffed meatballs. So that is what's for dinner tonight. Though I'm so sick of tasting the sauce, I may wind up not eating. LOL

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the stuffed quail, which is probably the best dish I've had there. But the wine was all kinds of wrong - I asked the head waiter (who is one of my flat-mates) for whatever he thought would be good, and he brought me a glass of rosé, which was way to crisp and acidic for that dish. A nice, mellow pinot noir would have been perfect, but they don't sell those by the glass, so I settled on a glass of merlot.
Looks tasty!

Yeah - Pinot sounds about right. Or a nice Sangiovese, which seems to go pretty well with almost anything, particularly roasted tomatoes (is that what I see there?).

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Okonomiyaki, Hiroshima style.

20200720_184633.jpg

(Japanese pancake with cabbage and shrimp, topped with a layer of fried egg and noodles, topped again with okonomi sauce, kewpie mayo, nori pieces and dried bonito flakes. Kirin lager not pictured.)

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s for dinner? Something cheap, from a drive-through, with no nutritional value.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks tasty!

Yeah - Pinot sounds about right. Or a nice Sangiovese, which seems to go pretty well with almost anything, particularly roasted tomatoes (is that what I see there?).
Yep on the tomatoes.
A sangiovese would have been nice as well. But I'm a bit of a francophile when it comes to wine, and the first thing that popped into my head when I started eating was "pinot noir, Burgundy".

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No argument here on Burgundy. My very favorite wines of all time have been Grand Cru Burg's.

However, I do love me some Rhone, Chianti, Brunello, Rioja, Barossa, Mosel, CA, WA, OR, ...

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My sister and niece came over for dinner yesterday, so I took the opportunity to buy a whole chicken for once and make coq au vin

A happy, organic chicken

Lightly browned in butter

Some veg

A bottle of Pinot Noir, a bouquet garni, and just enough water so everything is covered

[

Sauce strained, and reducing to the left. Bacon to the right. When the bacon was done, I sautéed some carrots, leek, parsley root, and button mushrooms in the rendered fat, and glazed them with a bit of the sauce and some sugar before putting everything together.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing gourmet, but simple and good. Chicken breast grilled out back, fresh butter-and-sugar corn on the cob bought at the farm and picked today with butter and salt, fresh green beans picked today, and a cold gose (sour beer) from a local brewery.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I rolled up a couple of Stromboli's. Tasty. My bulldog guarded them while they cooled. I think that is what he was doing. Perhaps he was just wishing he was taller!
P1030121.JPG
P1030124.JPG
P1030125.JPG

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s barbecue madness! Staying home because of the record heat. Don’t use my smoker much because I have to be there for hours. Seems like the perfect time to throw a try tip and ribs on it. Salmon and corn from farmers market required the grill. We’ve got it all going!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eggs

Fried egg sandwiches, egg in a hole, hard boiled 30 eggs for egg salad.

8 chickens, 6-7 eggs a day, can't give them away.

They're great, don't get me wrong.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend once asked me how to make Fired Rice, so I made a YT video.....