OT: What's for dinner?

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s barbecue madness! Staying home because of the record heat. Don’t use my smoker much because I have to be there for hours. Seems like the perfect time to throw a try tip and ribs on it. Salmon and corn from farmers market required the grill. We’ve got it all going! View attachment 458843 View attachment 458844
I have the same kettle grill.

Electric smoker but it needs cleaned badly, like badly.

Stupid covid summer, I had a propane grill because more often than not I'm grilling dinner. The one I had for the last 4 years got beat to death. Nevada, high winds a lot - it blew off the deck 3 times and I lit it on fire same number of times. It didn't last me as long as I wanted to, I've had grills for 10 years or longer and I can't find a good one lately so I fell back on the kettle grill and it's great but not convenient.

Grills, I like stainless grates or cast. Cast is fine but ceramic coated, forget it. It's getting harder and harder to find a decent grill with good grates.

So kettle it is. I like that smoker setup you have too.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend once asked me how to make Fired Rice, so I made a YT video.....

I love rice, I could eat it all day. Carbs...

Family member is type 1 so rice is off the menu but I've done that, similar with grated cauliflower fried hard.

Onion, bacon and yeah, eggs.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Entrecôte

Potatoes fried in duck fat with some onion, thyme, and garlic

A sauté of bacon, button mushrooms and leek, finished with a swig of red wine and some butter

And an old-skool sprinkling of parsley

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kicking it old-school in the kitchen again.
Lamb culotte, same potatoes as yesterday, leek and mushrooms à la creme, and a red wine reduction with a few blackberries mounted with butter

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Salmon with fettuccine in a cream sauce with white wine, lemon, dill, and parsley

My preferred way of cooking salmon: Season with salt and lemon zest, cover with dill and lemon slices, and stick it in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes. A trained monkey could do it, and it turns out perfect every time.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great K50.

Nothing special for dinner tonight here, but in about 8 months, I’ll be cooking a bunch of meals to pair with Pinot Noir.

1/4 ton -> 30 gallons. 12 cases more or less.
Very nice Carneros/Sonoma fruit.
10C77975-8622-4BEB-BF51-B78331DB050F.png

Any other winemakers out there?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Family weekend at our summer house.
Pork loin roast for dinner:

After dinner cheese snack (clockwise from the bottom left: niece, mum, me, sister)

With a glass of white port

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grilled some Portabella Mushrooms
Sliced Tomatoes
Whole wheat pasta with spinach .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Family weekend at our summer house.
Pork loin roast for dinner:

After dinner cheese snack (clockwise from the bottom left: niece, mum, me, sister)

With a glass of white port

Your cooking looks exquisite. You should have an OT thread showing all your preparations. In order to get that level of gourmet, it's usually at fine restaurants. I really wish I could cook like that!
Keep it up!
LRod :)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Entrecôte

Potatoes fried in duck fat with some onion, thyme, and garlic

A sauté of bacon, button mushrooms and leek, finished with a swig of red wine and some butter

And an old-skool sprinkling of parsley

That’s living right there and right up my alley.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
This thread has been a lot of fun to look through. I wish that I was close friends with k_50. That man knows how to eat.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frozen veal or chicken or something or another with cheese and all that. Food for the masses, I don't eat much or anything at all lately.

Made dip though, for the princess. Great pretzel dip, like 4 packages of cream cheese and some milk. Need a hand blender, one of those motor boat things. Get it to dip consistency and just add garlic salt to taste. That's it.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been working on eating healthier
I used to eat hamburger meat or steak
Almost nightly .
Last night I made Chicken Kabobs

A fav for breakfast is wheat “ biscuits “
with honey and milk ...

I also like to grill blackened chicken for tacos .

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been working on eating healthier
I used to eat hamburger meat or steak
Almost nightly .
Last night I made Chicken Kabobs

A fav for breakfast is wheat “ biscuits “
with honey and milk ...

I also like to grill blackened chicken for tacos .
Don't fear fat, knock the carbs off. Rice, bread and all that. Wheat.

Sugar too, ease on that.

JMO

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's tough. Pasta, rice, wheat, bread. Lots of carbs.

Check that out, my advice is to get off that. Eggs, cheese, meats, bacon, that stuff is fine, I'd lay back on the carbs.

I eat a lot of yogurt also, filling and ok.

Cauliflower is a nice carb free alternative. Fries nice for "rice".

Hope that helps, give it a shot.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's tough. Pasta, rice, wheat, bread. Lots of carbs.

Check that out, my advice is to get off that. Eggs, cheese, meats, bacon, that stuff is fine, I'd lay back on the carbs.

I eat a lot of yogurt also, filling and ok.

Cauliflower is a nice carb free alternative. Fries nice for "rice".

Hope that helps, give it a shot.
I can barely eat one egg , I don’t know why I have such an aversion to them .
A few years ago I’d gag at one bite .

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your cooking looks exquisite. You should have an OT thread showing all your preparations. In order to get that level of gourmet, it's usually at fine restaurants. I really wish I could cook like that!
Keep it up!
LRod :)
This thread has been a lot of fun to look through. I wish that I was close friends with k_50. That man knows how to eat.
Thanks for the kind words :)
Most of my cooking is pretty simple stuff. But I do try to take the time and care to make it as good as possible. I also try (and often fail) to put it on the plate in a way that makes it look nice and inviting.

With regards to healthy eating, I don't by into the "carbs are bad" thing at all. They are a good source of energy, and an essential building block in the body.
But not all carbs are created equally; A carbohydrate is basically a series of connected carbon and hydrogen atoms. The more complex the molecule is, the longer it will take for your digestive enzymes to break it down. That is why sugar is a good quick fix when you need energy right away, as sugars are very quick to break down and go into the bloodstream. Whole grains, on the other hand, contain some much more complex carbs which take longer to break down, and make you feel full for a good amount of time, while providing a stable flow of energy. A good reason why my dad insisted on making porridge for my sister and me every single morning when we were kids - I haven't touched it since...
To me, healthy eating means having a varied diet. Make sure you get some fat, protein, carbs, veg for the vitamins and minerals, eat different kinds of meat and fish, and so on. If it's a weight issue, then portion control, and not eating too quickly are key. A lot of people (including myself sometimes) plate up huge portions, and scarf them down in no time. But taking a smaller portion, and eating it more slowly will give you much better opportunity to evaluate whether you've had enough, or if another portion is in order.