OT: Which Is Your Favorite Led Zeppelin Album?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The albums are so dang good that I couldn't just pick one. My fave track, however, is "In My Time Of Dying", which is on forum fave PG, so I guess we're all pretty close.

Dan

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will say this- the thought of a plagiarizing cover band being named "Mozart of Our Generation" is quite entertaining at least. Lol

Great band no doubt but.....let's bring it back to Earth!

Lol
I'm glad someone said it, haha

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The albums are so dang good that I couldn't just pick one. My fave track, however, is "In My Time Of Dying", which is on forum fave PG, so I guess we're all pretty close.

Dan
That is my favorite track on that album as well.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is my favorite track on that album as well.
I had a chance meeting with Plant in NYC about 15 years ago. I'd heard he regretted singing "In My Time Of Dying", so I didn't tell him that was my favorite.

Dan

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting point, but the sales numbers of CDs and vinyl say otherwise.
Now take those sales #'s, and post them for the past 10 years.
Like I had said, the Beatles did Sullivan, and the world went nuts. Yes.
Time is the ultimate test!
Zep is as, or more popular today, than they were in 1980. Floyed, Beatles might be just as popular with some of you guys (mostly the generation before me), but for those around in the 70's, who woulda thought your kids would be just as into Zep today, as some of us have always been?
As for a guitarist surpassing Page, Page was not a very good *technical guitar player.
But, for a time in history, everything he played was pure magic. I don't forsee that happening again.
Zep 1-4 were made in 2 years. That is unreal!
Did Zep ever even do a tune on American TV? As far as I know Bonham only gave 2 brief interviews. Zep did it w/out promotion, tv appearances, interviews, releasing singles etc...
Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Clapton............have all faded away, or fading fast.
As for Floyed being played more than Zep on the radio today. No way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Now take those sales #'s, and post them for the past 10 years.
Like I had said, the Beatles did Sullivan, and the world went nuts. Yes.
Time is the ultimate test!
Zep is as, or more popular today, than they were in 1980. Floyed, Beatles might be just as popular with some of you guys (mostly the generation before me), but for those around in the 70's, who woulda thought your kids would be just as into Zep today, as some of us have always been?
As for a guitarist surpassing Page, Page was not a very good *technical guitar player.
But, for a time in history, everything he played was pure magic. I don't forsee that happening again.
Zep 1-4 were made in 2 years. That is unreal!
Did Zep ever even do a tune on American TV? As far as I know Bonham only gave 2 brief interviews. Zep did it w/out promotion, tv appearances, interviews, releasing singles etc...
Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Clapton............have all faded away, or fading fast.
As for Floyed being played more than Zep on the radio today. No way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Toast, I think you're reaching some incorrect conclusions based on anecdotal evidence.

Surely, there can't be a better measure of success than how an artist's catalog of albums continue to sell today. It's a ranking of the most popular albums across all genres that are at least 18 months old.

Here's the Best-Selling Catalog Albums for the week of Nov. 16, according to Billboard:

10. Drake - Views
9. Journey's Greatest Hits
8. The Beatles - 1 (Diamond Certified sales of 10 million-plus, 612 weeks on chart)
7. Drake - Take Care
6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - 20 Greatest
5. Michael Buble - Christmas
4. Lizzo - Coconut Oil
3. The Beatles - Abbey Road (Diamond certified -- 423 weeks on chart)
2. Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas
1.Queen - Greatest Hits

BTW, Led Zeppelin doesn't have a single album in the Top 50.

Data for Billboard's sales charts, which include all album charts are compiled by Nielsen Music from a universe of retailers that represents more than 90% of the U.S. music retail market.

The sample includes not only music stores and the music departments at electronics and department stores, but also direct-to-consumer transactions and Internet sales (both physical albums via Internet, and ones bought via digital downloads).

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter what the "charts" say. When I listen to the radio I hear more Led Zeppelin than Pink Floyd.

And, I don't see any Pink Floyd on that chart either. Isn't that what we're discussing?

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
Toast, I think you're reaching some incorrect conclusions based on anecdotal evidence.

Surely, there can't be a better measure of success than how an artist's catalog of albums continue to sell today. It's a ranking of the most popular albums across all genres that are at least 18 months old.

Here's the Best-Selling Catalog Albums for the week of Nov. 16, according to Billboard:

10. Drake - Views
9. Journey's Greatest Hits
8. The Beatles - 1 (Diamond Certified sales of 10 million-plus, 612 weeks on chart)
7. Drake - Take Care
6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - 20 Greatest
5. Michael Buble - Christmas
4. Lizzo - Coconut Oil
3. The Beatles - Abbey Road (Diamond certified -- 423 weeks on chart)
2. Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas
1.Queen - Greatest Hits

BTW, Led Zeppelin doesn't have a single album in the Top 50.

Data for Billboard's sales charts, which include all album charts are compiled by Nielsen Music from a universe of retailers that represents more than 90% of the U.S. music retail market.

The sample includes not only music stores and the music departments at electronics and department stores, but also direct-to-consumer transactions and Internet sales (both physical albums via Internet, and ones bought via digital downloads).

Billboard? What does Casey Kasem have to say about all this?

I like em all but Presence is my favorite.
I also (unlike lots of Zep critics) love In Through The Out Door.

sptucker

Reaction score
Based on listenability from start to finish, it has to be Houses of the Holy, then IV for me. Or maybe the other way around.

Then II, I, ITTOD in that order. Then III and Presence. PG by far in last place. I always skip multiple tracks on my bottom 3 records, even though there are a few obvious gems in there.

To me, PG is a filler-heavy mess just like Exile on Main Street, which someone else compared it to. I guess I don't think the way critics (and DFOers, apparently!) do about either of these records -- perhaps I will go give them both a good listen and try to keep a more open mind!

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rolling stone also bashed all their albums.
That's neither here nor there.
My point was, Zep's popularity has not dropped. If anything it's grown.
That's the only stat that matters. Out of every band or artist since Zep hit the scene, all the other bands popularity is waning.
Teens are as much as into Zep, as I am/was. I can't say the same for any other "classic rock" band. That includes The Beatles Stones, Floyed...
Zeppelin just had the magic. No singles (well 2), TV, interviews, etc..
Geez, the all time #1 radio tune, was never even released as a single.
Ya can't say these things about the other bands

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Pretty compelling argument for LZ II........I didn't know it booted Abbey Road from the #1 spot!

Many years ago I had heard that LZII was recorded while the band was touring for the first album.
That was part of a rumor that Moby Dick had actually been recorded on a tiny little Jazz kit, in a very small room and the drums were only close miked, because that was a "thing" back then.
Nice to know at least some of that is true.

Elvis

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rolling stone also bashed all their albums.
That's neither here nor there.
My point was, Zep's popularity has not dropped. If anything it's grown.
That's the only stat that matters. Out of every band or artist since Zep hit the scene, all the other bands popularity is waning.
Teens are as much as into Zep, as I am/was. I can't say the same for any other "classic rock" band. That includes The Beatles Stones, Floyed...
Zeppelin just had the magic. No singles (well 2), TV, interviews, etc..
Geez, the all time #1 radio tune, was never even released as a single.
Ya can't say these things about the other bands
Respectfully, and with sincere curiosity....

Where are you getting this information? What is your source to back up these claims of rising Zep popularity and the "waning" of those other bands?

I mean, is it a gut feeling, teens in your home, or do you have inside info from somewhere?

I would think that you must considering how quickly you dimissed the sales stastistics and other's opinions.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, and with sincere curiosity....

Where are you getting this information? What is your source to back up these claims of rising Zep popularity and the "waning" of those other bands?

I mean, is it a gut feeling, teens in your home, or do you have inside info from somewhere?

I would think that you must considering how quickly you dimissed the sales stastistics and other's opinions.
Here's a fairly long read, as I'm in the middle of taking care of a few thing at the moment. I can expand on my experience in a bit, but this article, especially towards the end does a pretty good job explaining. I had never read this until today, but it also makes a comparison of Zep to Classical music.
If ya don't feel like reading the entire article, the last 5 paragraphs sum it up well.
And yes, until I my back went I was involved with HS football. I was also involved in semi pro ball a few years too long.
The Zep phenomenon has always been apparent to me. It's really amazing
Sorry if I didn't make much sense. Craziness right now

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a fairly long read, as I'm in the middle of taking care of a few thing at the moment. I can expand on my experience in a bit, but this article, especially towards the end does a pretty good job explaining. I had never read this until today, but it also makes a comparison of Zep to Classical music.
If ya don't feel like reading the entire article, the last 5 paragraphs sum it up well.
And yes, until I my back went I was involved with HS football. I was also involved in semi pro ball a few years too long.
The Zep phenomenon has always been apparent to me. It's really amazing
Sorry if I didn't make much sense. Craziness right now

Bonham was the disciplined monster, drumming with a rare, almost unearthly precision, passion, and power envied by percussionists to this day. “Bonzo,” or “The Beast,” perhaps the more suitable nickname, used the bass drum pedal in such an implausible and efficient way that music equipment manufacturers invented the double-kick pedal so other drummers could execute the Bonham technique without having to actually learn how to do it with the single-kick pedal.
Yeah, John "Precision" Bonham, as he's known! And doubles on the bass drum! Implausible!

That's just one ridiculous passage in that article.

And anyone who compares Zeppelin, or any rock band, to classical music doesn't know the first thing about classical music.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, John "Precision" Bonham, as he's known! And doubles on the bass drum! Implausible!

That's just one ridiculous passage in that article.

And anyone who compares Zeppelin, or any rock band, to classical music doesn't know the first thing about classical music.
My guess is you are (please don't take it personal) in your 60's, or greater?

Before I read the article, I compared Zep to Motzar in a prior post.
My analogy was "everyone else was playing 3 blind mice, while Zep was playing Mozart"
Yes the context is somewhat different!, but in some ways is valid.
However, if any band has they staying power of some of the great composers, it is Zep.

The article gave pleanty of examples of studies on Zeps popularity, from the 90's to today, using facts/ stats relevant, and accurate for a study like this.

As for Bonham, IMO he is the most influential drummer since the drum kit was developed. No, not the best technically (although not bad at all).
Taste is a person's prerogative. I'm sure some members here don't like Zep at all. In my case if the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Floyd...came on the radio, I'm changing.
It's been 50 years since the hit the scene. Again, they are just as popular today, if not more than they were in the 70's.

Only time will tell, but if their popularity continues to grow, as it has for 40-50 years....

I didn't get my first Zep until 5 years after Bonham died. It was Zep 2, and I've watched them become more, and more popular, as well as influential
Talk to the kids/young adults. They carry the torch

Latest posts