OT: Which Is Your Favorite Led Zeppelin Album?

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is you are (please don't take it personal) in your 60's, or greater?
Early 40's, no offense taken. :) .

I really do think you're putting far too much stock in your personal observations about the continued popularity of Zep. There's only one objective measure, and that's music sales, which these days include streaming, which is probably the most accurate of all since it's counting each listen. Those numbers just don't support the idea that they are just as popular now as ever.

They still have many rabid and vocal fans. But by that measure, Slayer is the biggest band planet earth has ever seen.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Early 40's, no offense taken. :) .

I really do think you're putting far too much stock in your personal observations about the continued popularity of Zep. There's only one objective measure, and that's music sales, which these days include streaming, which is probably the most accurate of all since it's counting each listen. Those numbers just don't support the idea that they are just as popular now as ever.

They still have many rabid and vocal fans. But by that measure, Slayer is the biggest band planet earth has ever seen.
Lol, sorry about that misunderstanding.
Idk, I just don't hear people younger than us talking about those other bands.
I always told myself "I'm old when I stop listening to new music"
I'm not quite as in touch as I once was, but I still dig some newer music. Anyone else my age says the same thing. "Today's music sucks"
There have been some great bands, and albums since the 90's. Besides a handful, there are very few now. I can't blame it on the music industry, as bands like Radiohead, Chili Peppers, Tool, have had long successful runs. I don't know if I saw it wrong, or what, but 21 Pilots has a tune on YouTube with 1.3 Billion views! (That's incredible), but can they keep that up for 11 years, or 3?, Let's see where they are in 50 years.

Elvis Presley is a good example. As his fans age, and die off, so has his popularity.
40 years ago, I don't think many people would believe that?
I see the same things going on with the other super bands of yestayear, with the exception of Zep

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lol, sorry about that misunderstanding.
Idk, I just don't hear people younger than us talking about those other bands.
I always told myself "I'm old when I stop listening to new music"
I'm not quite as in touch as I once was, but I still dig some newer music. Anyone else my age says the same thing. "Today's music sucks"
There have been some great bands, and albums since the 90's. Besides a handful, there are very few now. I can't blame it on the music industry, as bands like Radiohead, Chili Peppers, Tool, have had long successful runs. I don't know if I saw it wrong, or what, but 21 Pilots has a tune on YouTube with 1.3 Billion views! (That's incredible), but can they keep that up for 11 years, or 3?, Let's see where they are in 50 years.

Elvis Presley is a good example. As his fans age, and die off, so has his popularity.
40 years ago, I don't think many people would believe that?
I see the same things going on with the other super bands of yestayear, with the exception of Zep
Toast, thanks for the article. I will check it out later when I can digest it. I doubt it will change my mind...lol.

While Zep is certainly a super group, and maybe "the" super grup circa 1974... While they, like ever other grest band will have both a core of rabid followers and a bunch of new fans....

I just don't find your personal perspective convincing.
Perhaps of you were the music writer for Teen Vogue or some other publication who criss-crossed the country interviewing young people about their fav bands... Or had some other broad connection to A LOT of kids in different areas of the world....

But coaching football-I would assume, in one maybe two schools in one area of one state over the course of a career? If THAT is what you are basing it on then that is a pretty small sample to be using to make the statements you are making. (No offense, and apologies up front if you have had a more extensive exposite than that).

Like I said earlier, that's about as reliable as my own experience doing educational facility maintenance for the last 40 years. And, no, I am not seeing a wave of Zep shirts in the two high schools I have been working in in the last 15 years, or around town even. Some, but not that many.

Now a quick check with my over-the-hill in this case 23 year old daughter lol and her crew got me this answer:

GRETA VON FLEET....

THAT is the reason they even know about Zeppelin in the first place. And probably why there was a surge in popularity.

Not because Zep has some staying oower that these other bands lack...

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Toast, thanks for the article. I will check it out later when I can digest it. I doubt it will change my mind...lol.

While Zep is certainly a super group, and maybe "the" super grup circa 1974... While they, like ever other grest band will have both a core of rabid followers and a bunch of new fans....

I just don't find your personal perspective convincing.
Perhaps of you were the music writer for Teen Vogue or some other publication who criss-crossed the country interviewing young people about their fav bands... Or had some other broad connection to A LOT of kids in different areas of the world....

But coaching football-I would assume, in one maybe two schools in one area of one state over the course of a career? If THAT is what you are basing it on then that is a pretty small sample to be using to make the statements you are making. (No offense, and apologies up front if you have had a more extensive exposite than that).

Like I said earlier, that's about as reliable as my own experience doing educational facility maintenance for the last 40 years. And, no, I am not seeing a wave of Zep shirts in the two high schools I have been working in in the last 15 years, or around town even. Some, but not that many.

Now a quick check with my over-the-hill in this case 23 year old daughter lol and her crew got me this answer:

GRETA VON FLEET....

THAT is the reason they even know about Zeppelin in the first place. And probably why there was a surge in popularity.

Not because Zep has some staying oower that these other bands lack...
Me a writer? Lol.
I get where you are coming from, I have this discussion often with my oldest friend who is my age all the time.
Ive lived in Texas, Pa, Co, NY, ya won't see many, if any kids wearing Beatles, or Stones etc tee shirts, but you will see kids still wearing Zep Tees on any given day (unless the school has a dress code). Go to any mall in the country during summer, or while schools out, and observe.

You probably should have taken a look at the last 1/3rd of that article, as I'm not going to convince anyone of anything with my writing.
I guess the best way to get a feel, is from the younger members here, or read some replies from YouTube vids.

Any members here younger than 35? (the younger, the more pronounced it will be)
Do you think many listen to Elvis anymore?
Nah, that generation will take Elvis with them, just as ours is the tail end of the Beatles.
Zep is as big as ever with all aged

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not big on judging a band on albums on record sales, or billboard lists etc.
However, I copied and pasted some of the article that has more pertinent stats for today, and since the 90's. Take from it what ya want.
Mongrel, you said "you doubt it will change your mind", and that's cool. That's what happened to most of my friends in my age group. Ya get caught up in life, and that old habbit thing kicks in.
Here's a quick excerpt

The 1990 4-CD Led Zeppelin Box Set is STILL the highest grossing box set EVER released. When Jimmy Page released the live DVD and the subsequent CD set in 2003, it went straight to NUMBER 1 week after week, topping ALL of the Top 40 performers of today! The 1994 MTV Unledded special maintains the highest rating on the network and the highest rated television musical performance in history (Zangara).

Additionally, the album Led Zeppelin IV has achieved a 23X multi-platinum ranking (RIAA “Gold…”). Official album sales statistics also show: “This month, Led Zeppelin IV advances to 22 million sales; Led Zeppelin II moves up to 12 million and Houses Of The Holy climbs to 11 million. The band’s 1975 double-album Physical Graffiti holds at 15 million” (RIAA June 2013).

As far as online success, as of August 3, 2018, the official Led Zeppelin Facebook page has 13,466,307 “likes.”* Dismiss the preponderance of rock songs at spectacle sporting events as indicative of anything other than a band’s ability to assimilate into mainstream cultural activities. And discontinue listening to simple, technologically tedious, overproduced and pre-chewed pop-rock music — however successful it might be — because it requires little brain activity for the return in effortless entertainment value. Instead, appreciate one band’s distinctive combination of hard-earned musical gravitas, uncompromising artistic integrity, widespread cultural influence, and masterful mystique making that continue — even after the shocking 1980 death of drummer John Bonham — to span nearly five decades of enduring musical dominance. This is the electrifying, inimitable phenomenon of Led Zeppelin, the world’s greatest rock band.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I didn't see 13yo kids in 1980 running around with Benny Goodman or Glen Miller t-shirts. I do see kids today running around with 1965-1992 era bands on them.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't see 13yo kids in 1980 running around with Benny Goodman or Glen Miller t-shirts. I do see kids today running around with 1965-1992 era bands on them.
Though, I'm pretty sure no one makes Benny Goodman or Glen Miller t-shirts. Even if they do, I'm also pretty sure that no one from that generation ever wore band t-shirts.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol. I'll start on the business plan.
Big bucks in Benny Goodman Tees

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My thing is this: Somewhere (perhaps because we were told so by the people trying to push this commerce upon us) that rock was just part of this endless wave of cycles. And it's not so. Even when I was a kid, there were pop fans and rock fans. And they ran in different circles. Heck, even the whole Beatles vs the Stones is rooted in this. Us younguns (I'm 49) know of this from friendly internet banter but in my dad's generation it was a real thing - like you didn't hang with the stones fans at school because they were bad characters.

But today what's different is that rock is almost totally unsupported by the portion of the machine that is aimed at youth, and they've given them precious little alternative. And not everyone likes the pop product, even in the current generation. So they go raid their parents record collections.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Radio? RADIO? :oops:

What person under 50 even listens to the "radio" any more?

:p
No one I know. I am 56 and I stopped listening to OTA radio 13 years ago when I got my a new 2006 Jetta TDi and it had a new technology called satellite radio. Funny how most of the DJ and MTV VeeJays I listned too in the 70's,80's, 90's and early 00's all seem to work for Sirrius XM now.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I have not scanned through 5 pages to see if anyone else has chosen this particular album. I'm not sure if it counts, but if I had a choice of ONE Zep album to be stuck on an island with, I'd choose the BBC Sessions, and both volumes please. :-D Contains, alternate versions, a couple versions of Going to California which is my favorite Zep tune. I don't think you can beat it.

If young people today are REALLY INTO "the music", they can't be happy with what's on the charts.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'm not big on judging a band on albums on record sales, or billboard lists etc.
However, I copied and pasted some of the article that has more pertinent stats for today, and since the 90's. Take from it what ya want.
Mongrel, you said "you doubt it will change your mind", and that's cool. That's what happened to most of my friends in my age group. Ya get caught up in life, and that old habbit thing kicks in.
Here's a quick excerpt

The 1990 4-CD Led Zeppelin Box Set is STILL the highest grossing box set EVER released. When Jimmy Page released the live DVD and the subsequent CD set in 2003, it went straight to NUMBER 1 week after week, topping ALL of the Top 40 performers of today! The 1994 MTV Unledded special maintains the highest rating on the network and the highest rated television musical performance in history (Zangara).

Additionally, the album Led Zeppelin IV has achieved a 23X multi-platinum ranking (RIAA “Gold…”). Official album sales statistics also show: “This month, Led Zeppelin IV advances to 22 million sales; Led Zeppelin II moves up to 12 million and Houses Of The Holy climbs to 11 million. The band’s 1975 double-album Physical Graffiti holds at 15 million” (RIAA June 2013).

As far as online success, as of August 3, 2018, the official Led Zeppelin Facebook page has 13,466,307 “likes.”* Dismiss the preponderance of rock songs at spectacle sporting events as indicative of anything other than a band’s ability to assimilate into mainstream cultural activities. And discontinue listening to simple, technologically tedious, overproduced and pre-chewed pop-rock music — however successful it might be — because it requires little brain activity for the return in effortless entertainment value. Instead, appreciate one band’s distinctive combination of hard-earned musical gravitas, uncompromising artistic integrity, widespread cultural influence, and masterful mystique making that continue — even after the shocking 1980 death of drummer John Bonham — to span nearly five decades of enduring musical dominance. This is the electrifying, inimitable phenomenon of Led Zeppelin, the world’s greatest rock band.
First off, this is my favorite line from the article you posted: "Led Zeppelin brought the world into full focus when they began channeling the once-veiled true power of femininity."

Second, when you say, "I'm not big on judging a band on albums on record sales, or billboard lists" and "Zep is as big as ever with all ages," it's hard to tell how you're supporting your point.

Then you throw in a number about actual record sales ... from 1990 (which was 29 years ago."

"Go to any mall in the country" to see all the kids in Led Zeppelin t-shirts. Any mall? Hawaii, Miami, Minneapolis? The whole country is the same.

The fact remains "Elvis Presley continues to sell 1 million records a year" and while your circle of football enthusiasts may like Led Zeppelin, you've been wrong or reliant on purely anecdotal evidence on every point you've made.

One more thing, Led Zeppelin released only eight albums, the last of which was 39 years ago. There's only 180 or so original Led Zeppelin songs. It may be time to kind of expand your enthusiasm to some of the many truly great bands that have emerged since 1980.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder...Is there a person in the 5 billion plus here on earth who hasn't heard 7 Nation Army via repeated crowd singalongs at World Cup Tournaments?

The current world population is 7.7 billion as of November 2019. Just FYI :)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First off, this is my favorite line from the article you posted: "Led Zeppelin brought the world into full focus when they began channeling the once-veiled true power of femininity."

Second, when you say, "I'm not big on judging a band on albums on record sales, or billboard lists" and "Zep is as big as ever with all ages," it's hard to tell how you're supporting your point.

Then you throw in a number about actual record sales ... from 1990 (which was 29 years ago."

"Go to any mall in the country" to see all the kids in Led Zeppelin t-shirts. Any mall? Hawaii, Miami, Minneapolis? The whole country is the same.

The fact remains "Elvis Presley continues to sell 1 million records a year" and while your circle of football enthusiasts may like Led Zeppelin, you've been wrong or reliant on purely anecdotal evidence on every point you've made.

One more thing, Led Zeppelin released only eight albums, the last of which was 39 years ago. There's only 180 or so original Led Zeppelin songs. It may be time to kind of expand your enthusiasm to some of the many truly great bands that have emerged since 1980.
Lol, are you a politician?
First you Cherry picked only one of the stats. Btw I brought up stats 1990, and beyond, as per the article. In 2008, was it?, they released another set, and that went to #1 too.
My argument was Zep is passing the test of time, haven't they?
Since my observations, have basically been dismissed, I figured I'd throw up some really impressive stats.
You failed to bring up how popularity is judged today, especially by the younger generation. Social media!
Did I say all the malls are the same?
I said in that, and other posts...Go by a HS without a dress code, will you see Beatles tees? Maybe, but probably not. Will you see Zep, more than likely.
As the Beatles generation gets old, as does Zep's. Zep IMO, as well as sales, has easily overtaken all of those original rock bands in popularity.
Zep got their game, and longevity without the Sullivan show, without being on TV, without releasing singles, etc....
Where the Beatles talented song writers, hell yes. Again, 3 blind mice, or chop sticks are catchy tunes.
What Zep did, and is still doing has never been done before.
Will there be another band one day that does something similar? Maybe
But Zep is on a different level in every sence
1, 2,, 3, 4, Houses, Presence, PG, TSRS, In through, Coda....Zep released 10, not 8, and imo, didn't release a bad tune

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lol, are you a politician?
First you Cherry picked only one of the stats. Btw I brought up stats 1990, and beyond, as per the article. In 2008, was it?, they released another set, and that went to #1 too.
My argument was Zep is passing the test of time, haven't they?
Since my observations, have basically been dismissed, I figured I'd throw up some really impressive stats.
You failed to bring up how popularity is judged today, especially by the younger generation. Social media!
Did I say all the malls are the same?
I said in that, and other posts...Go by a HS without a dress code, will you see Beatles tees? Maybe, but probably not. Will you see Zep, more than likely.
As the Beatles generation gets old, as does Zep's. Zep IMO, as well as sales, has easily overtaken all of those original rock bands in popularity.
Zep got their game, and longevity without the Sullivan show, without being on TV, without releasing singles, etc....
Where the Beatles talented song writers, hell yes. Again, 3 blind mice, or chop sticks are catchy tunes.
What Zep did, and is still doing has never been done before.
Will there be another band one day that does something similar? Maybe
But Zep is on a different level in every sence
1, 2,, 3, 4, Houses, Presence, PG, TSRS, In through, Coda....Zep released 10, not 8, and imo, didn't release a bad tune
But...see...your just wrong in that t-shirt thing....

On any given day you WILL see, and I HAVE seen Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Hendrix, Dead, Who, Queen, Rush, Van Halen, Led Zep, and a number of other old school shirts on kids. Heck...what about AC\DC...Black Sabbath...
Ozzie and Madonna?

Certain bands from that era are just "cool" and the kids know it. My 2 year old grandson is known to wear Pink Floyd DSOTM t-shirts and Beatles shirts. Lol

You make it sound like the schools and malls are full of kids JUST wearing Zep shirts. It's cool that they are wearing Zep shirts and all, but it's not like i's a tidal wave, at least from where I sit in South Jersey-not exactly a backwoods state as far as those things go lol.

What about Queen? Bohemian Rhapsody is released and my kids were all over it....

Anyway...lol. Great band....some seriously great tunes and all, but no more than any other number of great bands with seriously great tunes.

Oh, I tried to get through that article, I really did. In the end it was like reading about "My Son's Rock Band by His Mother". A similar article coulc have been written about ANY band by a FanBoy or FanGirl.... "And then...in 1968 they walked on water....blah blah blah..." Lol.

Final thought....Many other contenders for the "Mozart of our Age". Yes and Rush come to mind for two...