OT: Who Is Still Working?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was wondering who is still able to work during the COVID-19 pandemic?

I work for a major insurance company in Cleveland and about 95% of our employees are now working from home.

I am one of the 5% still working downtown, and actually feel safer because I am the only person on the entire floor. I would imagine most of the folks working at home have family members and could get or pass on the virus from them.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a college chaplain who's trying to work from home. It's a pretty wild experience. I'm switching to all-online counseling, online teaching, online meetings. I'm sort of amazed by how much of my regular job I am able to do while sitting in my sweatpants on my couch. But, I mean, all of my current success is based on the relationships I've built with people in person. If this continues into the fall it'd be a disaster for me.

cplueard

Reaction score
I do QC for a chemical company that was ruled at "infrastructure critical" by the feds so I'm still workin'. As many people as possible are working from home though so it's pretty lightly staffed.

Reactions: JDA

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm stilling working. Our job sites are still open, but the PM and other manager types are working from home. I'm in construction and in MD were cleared. Since I use alot of natural and man-made stone products, those operatoins area still able to continue.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I work in animal care, and am still going in - we work with some rescues as a fostering facility, and those dogs have to be taken cafe of. I might not be a ER doc, but I have clients who are, or are first responders, or other critical jobs who are freed up to do them because we’re still there. Another one of my clients is running an group offering support to immunocompromised folks who simply cannot catch this thing or they’re done for.

An upside of this line of work is that I ALWAYS treat everything I interact with as something that probably shouldn’t be rubbed on my face without being bleached, including my hands.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
The company I work for is on the list of essential businesses allowed to remain open so I am very grateful right now.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Evidently both my wife and myself are "essential" workers. She works for a supermarket/health supplement store and I work for a remodeling company.

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a high school science teacher. We are starting the switch to “distance learning” this week. No idea for how long. It’s definitely weird.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still working. I'm in tech, so there's zero difference in the day to day for me.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a middle school shop teacher (they call it Tech Ed these days). VA schools are all closed for the remainder of the school year, though we're still getting paid. The plan is for us all to utilize "virtual learning" for the remainder of the year, though for the life of me, I don't know how I'm going to teach kids how to construct projects online.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I’m a mobile xray tech and will be working throughout whatever happens. Not the most fun job to have at the moment.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in supply chain. Still working. The only difference is there is less traffic and no starbucks....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes but from home. We have maybe five people in the office to keep things running about but the rest of us are remote.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Still working here. All our bosses and managers who are able to work remotely were sent to work from home. As for the rest of us we have been temporarily placed in separate offices to be isolated from each other. I work in child welfare so we fall into the essential category. And unfortunately our work is so paper based that working from home is not an option for us who process the payments for foster care and adoptions.

Latest posts