OT: Who Is Still Working?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nope.
I work in retail. I'm not selling toilet paper or food, so I'm screwed. I sold drums in a music store. Got "laid off" last Tuesday, and like everyone else in small business we have to wait to see what decisions are made for April 8th. No money coming in, although I can apply for 'temporary unemployment' because the business is technically still alive.
I'm going to have to start selling more drum stuff, and maybe my record collection, on Reverb/eBay/DFO to bring in income. Luckily my bills are paid in full as of today, but next month who knows.

To complicate the situation, starting next Monday I'll be displaced for up to 5 months, since my landlord/housemate is getting his house remodeled. My room is part of the remodeling, the water is being turned off, and the kitchen and bathrooms are being rebuilt. The good news, however, is that I'll be able to stay in the neighborhood, he's not charging rent during the construction [or while I'm out of work], and I'll be able to enter my room to get things if necessary after the construction crew goes home each day.

Damn strange times we're living in...
Stretch

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Construction Supply Company.
Deemed "essential" by the governor...still here until National Mandatory Shutdown of Everything, or I catch the COVID, whichever comes first.
Fortunately I'm in a back office with limited contact to everyone.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife is still working so I am good for now. She works from home already, so not much of a change for her. I will be back to full time groundskeeper when the weather gets nicer. Both our sons are going to be back home living with us, hoping to find a job.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Gov't transportation electronic tech supervisor... I am working.
Mike B

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife is finance director for a big company that hasn't folded yet, so she's telecommuting every day. I am a dog trainer, so the amount and type of work I can do "safely" or under current local restrictions is pretty limited. But I'm technically not out of work, and some of my wealthier clients have told me they'll keep paying for regularly scheduled visits even if I can't make it.

jsp210

Reaction score
Thankfully able to carry on my primary 9 to 5 work in information technology 100% remotely. Not quite 9 to 5 these days though :icon_e_confused:

Also working with some of my clients from my wellness practice remotely.

Drummer1990

Reaction score
I "was" Employeed until last night when my boss told all the stage hand guys who do setup for concerts that ALL public gatherings an concerts have been canceled till further notice and that none of us will be getting PTO while outbreak is active.

scottcyp

Reaction score
Still working. Fortunate that I am a remote employee.

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
still working. its a shipping company so the gov't says its vital but not working at my day job. yet it gives me more time to go thru things and sell off extra stuff i don't need.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still going in to work. Our flight department is still operating (although fewer flights). I can't fix the airplanes from home.

Reactions: JDA

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
My heart goes out to those of you already suffering financially from this pandemic. I shall both say a prayer for you and your family and light a Chango Santeria candle, just to make sure all bases are covered.

I am a government attorney and my job has overlap with issues relating to disability payments and medical treatment for injured municipal workers, including police and fire fighters, so I’m still working, albeit from home. As this involves litigation, I’m doing things I’d never thought I’d do, like taking a deposition sitting in my car in my garage to avoid my very animated preschooler sticking his head into view of the camera.

If anything, I’m hoping this can bring people together (okay, maybe not literally) and make us stronger. For me, not spending nearly three hours a day commuting means I’m a better parent. Checking in with my elderly neighbors to see if I can drop any supplies on their front porch makes for a stronger community, etc.
My mom used to tell me: “This too shall pass “ And that has always carried me through.
She also used to tell me: “Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people,” so I guess we’ll just have to see how this all works out.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m doing things I’d never thought I’d do, like taking a deposition sitting in my car in my garage to avoid my very animated preschooler sticking his head into view of the camera.

THAT is awesome!
Love the absolute freedom with which kiddos deal with life.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a college professor. Beginning yesterday (March 23rd), all of my classes transitioned to online delivery for the rest of the semester. It's been a lot of work, especially since we had very little time to prepare, but fortunately I'm fairly tech savvy and have found the challenge quite doable.

Latest posts