OT: Who Is Still Working?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Working remotely. I do billing for a company that makes steam for heat/hot water/AC. Some of our biggest customers are hospitals.
I have 3 kids who are all college Jrs. Only one lives in a dorm (lived). I worry about their prospects for summer work if this goes on...

I think this is going to ultimately be a lost year...
wishing everyone the best.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am still working, but from home. Fortunately being a residential architect does not require me to be in contact with too many people. The occasional zoom meeting handles my client meetings, but most of the time its either phone calls, emails, or just clicking away on CAD.

Browny

Reaction score
I'm an Industrial Designer and am working from home for the foreseeable future. Our company services a couple of industries that are definitely essential so I'm hoping that I'll be fine over the coming months, sitting in my office in the bungalow out back & working away on Solidworks. Also pretty ******* stoked that we moved out of an inner city apartment mid-last year and into a big place a little further out. I'd be going stir crazy shut up in our old joint.

It landed in Australia a bit later than the US so in that respect we're a little behind you. Any industry involving people gathering has been shut down. Cash is getting closer to being useless as most businesses still operating won't physically touch the stuff, it's pay in advance online or tap-and-go with your card. We've currently got a stack of petitions floating around trying to bring in support for casual staff and gig workers as well as some anti-development laws (which I love & hope eventuate) to try and ensure that developers don't scour the carcasses of any bars/pubs/music venues that go under during this ****storm. Our borders are closed now (finally) but it looks like the damage might have already been done, our early infection rates are pretty ******* scary and I'm hoping we can curb this thing before we end up Italy 2.0.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in retail management, but like Stretch not in an essential. We are getting paid until April 3rd and then we can burn vacation if we have it. My regular bonus is getting paid out so I can make it another couple of months if we stay closed, and then it's applying for unemployment. I don't feel too bad as I've never collected before and have had a job from the time I was 17 with no time without a job. Still feels strange though not getting up every morning and kicking the rooster in the @$$.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My wife and I are both considered essential. She works at a doctors office and I work at a petroleum/ chemical storage and transfer facility. We have pipe lines and ship docks and basically all the gasoline in the Northeast comes through our facility. So we got notified that we were a Tier 1 Critical Infrastructure Business and must be at work.. ..then our management decided to send some folks home to work from there. I am one of those folks at least till Friday. Then we may switch places with the other crew. My wife has had hours cut since this started and I truly worry about her being exposed but she's super cautious. Hope all of you are well and come through this situation unharmed on the other side of it. When you're able, please support your local bar/ eatery/ bakery/ dog groomer... Those folks are likely to be truly hurting. Peace

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I work for the US Forest Service and we are teleworking as much as possible, but we are getting little direction from D.C. Our response is regionally and locally driven right now. The toughest part is trying to protect our staff that deals directly with the public, like selling permits to cut firewood. Lots of people rely on goods and services produced on National Forests and we have to remember that we provide many essential services, like clean water.

Reactions: JDA

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m in supply chain for a large earthmoving company with tons of government contracts. We are cooking along strong so far. I have a job that can be done remotely so I am home, staying in, and working on my brushwork. I am blessed and try to remember that.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I am still working . I am a Project Manager in Telecom and have been working from home 90% of the time the last few years , so now that this crisis has started I work from home 100% of the time . We still have work to do as we have projects to to do and more work coming in from ompanjes asking to have a VPN access set up and cloud Telephony and Call Cebters set up so their staff can work from home . My son works at a A Costco and is very busy so it looks like we can ride this out .
My full pension vests in 40 days so ......

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I work as an assistant principal in an elementary school. We closed with a day's notice - we are into our 2nd week of working from home. Looks like we will remain closed the remainder of the year, and so it is coordinating online learning now for our staff. It is insanely busy, video conferencing with the superintendent and admin team, as well as our teacher teams every day, then calling families that need assistance. We are also providing breakfast and lunches to all kids under the age of 18 who live in the town, even if they do not attend our school. Crazy times, but I am thankful to still be earning a paycheck.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I work as an assistant principal in an elementary school. We closed with a day's notice - we are into our 2nd week of working from home. Looks like we will remain closed the remainder of the year, and so it is coordinating online learning now for our staff. It is insanely busy, video conferencing with the superintendent and admin team, as well as our teacher teams every day, then calling families that need assistance. We are also providing breakfast and lunches to all kids under the age of 18 who live in the town, even if they do not attend our school. Crazy times, but I am thankful to still be earning a paycheck.
Outstanding!

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a professor and had to move my courses online. I've been making lecture videos with Camtasia and posting them on Canvas. Also holding office hours and advising on Zoom, as well as department and college committee meetings. I've never worked this hard, it's basically been 12 hour days for the past 2 weeks, including weekends, largely because I'm still learning these technologies.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep... same office as before it all started! Like others, I also work in an "infrastructure critical" job, wholesale wood supplier so I have my full staff of 13 on site but we have locked the building to outside traffic and do pickups in the open air while our delivery drivers are well stocked with cleaning supplies and PPE.

My wide has set up on the dinning room table (like all 4 or 5 monitors and all) and is there for the duration as a corporate tax accountant.

I'm thankful were still working.

20200323_104319 copy.jpg

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Still required to go into work, and be in close contact with a bunch of people under the age of 30. Those of us that work there that are over 50 are very nervous. Glad to have a job, but it won't mean much if I get this thing.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I work in animal care, and am still going in - we work with some rescues as a fostering facility, and those dogs have to be taken cafe of. I might not be a ER doc, but I have clients who are, or are first responders, or other critical jobs who are freed up to do them because we’re still there. Another one of my clients is running an group offering support to immunocompromised folks who simply cannot catch this thing or they’re done for.

An upside of this line of work is that I ALWAYS treat everything I interact with as something that probably shouldn’t be rubbed on my face without being bleached, including my hands.
I don’t know you but I love you Captain. We are kindred spirits and the more the better IMO.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still working as I’m in Healthcare IT. Handling greater NYC/CT area remotely. My team is in daily communications with major healthcare organizations across North America trying to provide solutions to assist with the COVID19 pandemic. Haven’t been on the forum for a bit due to demands but had to get away for a bit to a friendly place....can’t remember last l sat on the kit. My wife is essential and has to actually go in to work...
Stay safe and God Bless!

Latest posts