OT: Who Is Still Working?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well I’m retired but I was driving Uber for the last four years to keep active and then I started hearing about the virus back in January. I decided to stop driving then and now poof, that business is practically gone. It used to be every other car is Uber or Lyft...now, you don’t see any. I loved the flexibility and meeting really interesting people for the most part.

Thinkwriter

Reaction score
I'm from the Philippines. I started working remotely for a digital marketing company based in Los Angeles; left my steady office job for it so I could work from home and take care of my 3-year-old while working nights. I was laid off (together with 70% of the workforce) two weeks ago.

My wife works in an airline company. We're hoping that holds, but their industry got hit the worst.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep still working. FedEx Express. On the road all day delivering and whatever pickups come in. Can’t complain

Reactions: JDA

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m on ongoing power plant commissioning project phase . I’m very busy. Even if there may be currently slow progress, there’s huge backlog to close.

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I work in a drum shop. Downunder. Still trading. Sales of electronic kits is booming. Go figure.

• Haha

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep. Service rep and have my letter saying I am “essential” so out in it all the time. Some places I wear a face mask and a lot of wipes and hand sanitizer as well. I am a fat 60 year old but no health problems other that mental (hoarder of old drums) but being careful.

70's Drummer

Reaction score
Still working.I work nights at a factory making replacement vehicle suspension parts. No overtime (thankfully) but 40 hrs a week.

Jakehotep

Reaction score
I work as a Prepress Tech in a printing company that has been deemed "essential" because we print a LOT of stuff about the Coronavirus and Union Benefits. It's a little scary because although I take the warnings very seriously, there are others here who don't.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really? How did that happen? I thought nurses were needed very badly during this pandemic. Especially ICU/CCU nurses.
Hospitals are not doing elective procedures, the money makers.
I took a job at a small critical access hospital that paid into the state retirement program I’m in. Figured I’d keep adding to it. I was there about 4 months and got laid off.
Honestly not missing it with all that’s going on.
Hospital in east Kentucky laid off 300.
Small hospital in south WV is shutting down completely as in going out of business April 21.
Small hospital in Kentucky is closed for good right before all this started.
Large hospital in Charleston is struggling because no money making procedures. Something like 150 empty beds.
Last 6 months 2 hospitals in WV completely closed in large for WV cities.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is so disturbing to hear that first hand account of your surrounding hospitals ppfd. I know our system is so broken and that is a stark reminder. I honestly don't know how to fix it, and I think it's pretty clear from the national debate over the past couple of years that no one else know how either.

For myself I am still at work with a team of 13 in the architectural wood business. It's not business as usual however and were pretty jumpy all the way around.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hospitals are not doing elective procedures, the money makers.
I took a job at a small critical access hospital that paid into the state retirement program I’m in. Figured I’d keep adding to it. I was there about 4 months and got laid off.
Honestly not missing it with all that’s going on.
Hospital in east Kentucky laid off 300.
Small hospital in south WV is shutting down completely as in going out of business April 21.
Small hospital in Kentucky is closed for good right before all this started.
Large hospital in Charleston is struggling because no money making procedures. Something like 150 empty beds.
Last 6 months 2 hospitals in WV completely closed in large for WV cities.
I'm sure you could easily get another job at a bigger hospital, right? Or, would you rather stay out of harms way?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am... Food logistics, refrigerated/frozen food must get thru, although we have 10 trailers of possibly contaminated food from Corona positive grocery stores in NYC sitting in the yard at the moment. They're being shipped back under the term "donations"...

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I work in IT for one of the major hospitals in Boston. Started working remotely last week. My wife's job is on hold. Kids are home and bored to tears
lots of games and tv/movies going on

RettaW75

Reaction score
I'm still working. I clean the common areas of condos/apartments etc and we're still considered an essential service.

Latest posts