header.nohb.html

OT why I dislike indoor football and baseball

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Watching the Cowboys game and the punter for the Cowboys kicks it so high.....it hits the video screen WHAT ???
You mean a stadium is built where the kicking game for both teams can be compromised...unbelievable they did a "do over"
thats what you did when you were a kid....WOW !

The only thing worse is indoor baseball, I think in Tampa bay, you hit the ceiling its a homerun.....good grief, glad we have Fenway Park.
sorry rant over.

turnerma81

Reaction score
So you don't like football and baseball because two of the 62 football and baseball franchises built stupid stadiums? Not sure how old you are but you really would have hated football and baseball in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when football and baseball franchises shared stadiums that sucked for both sports.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been meh on pro football for a while now because there's not a single player who can meet my personal expectation of what someone with their salary can do. For what they're getting paid, it should be like watching the Mortal Kombat characters on the gridiron. I've migrated to rugby, though being a USA Rugby fan is way worse than being a Cubs fan used to be back in the day.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Watching the Cowboys game and the punter for the Cowboys kicks it so high.....it hits the video screen WHAT ???
You mean a stadium is built where the kicking game for both teams can be compromised...unbelievable they did a "do over"
thats what you did when you were a kid....WOW !

The only thing worse is indoor baseball, I think in Tampa bay, you hit the ceiling its a homerun.....good grief, glad we have Fenway Park.
sorry rant over.
I don't want to get in any kind of sports debates. I'll say this about the boardd. The NFL has a hight minimum for scoreboards, the one at AT&T stadium exceeds that hight by a decent margin Kickers can hit the board, and good kickers will occasionally hit it during game. I'll talk about the board for a min. It's 8 stories tall, and 40 yards long. It's an incredible place.
If the NFL would have known kickers would occasionally hit it, they would have made the minimum taller.
That's an expensive oversight by the NFL

Loud

Reaction score
I've been meh on pro football for a while now because there's not a single player who can meet my personal expectation of what someone with their salary can do. For what they're getting paid, it should be like watching the Mortal Kombat characters on the gridiron. I've migrated to rugby, though being a USA Rugby fan is way worse than being a Cubs fan used to be back in the day.
Dump the humans and bring on the robots.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
So you don't like football and baseball because two of the 62 football and baseball franchises built stupid stadiums? Not sure how old you are but you really would have hated football and baseball in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when football and baseball franchises shared stadiums that sucked for both sports.
I like the sports fine, and am a big fan of both, what I don't like is them being played indoors, especially when it is possible to hit a video screen during the game of play, or hit the ceiling with a big pop up and its called a homerun,scars the game. I am old enough to have seen the Boston Patriots play at Fenway.
At least it was outside.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you'd complain Ben when y'all have the Big Green at Fenway :) but I get it, at least with it you play the ball off the wall, they should do the same with the score board, could make in an incentive to hit it, maybe add some bumper pads up there so the ball bounces around a bit first :)

What I thought they need at Jerry's world is some curtains for the one end zone. The Cowboys receiver lost sight of one pass during first half that would have been a first down instead they had to punt.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny you'd complain Ben when y'all have the Big Green at Fenway :) but I get it, at least with it you play the ball off the wall, they should do the same with the score board, could make in an incentive to hit it, maybe add some bumper pads up there so the ball bounces around a bit first :)

What I thought they need at Jerry's world is some curtains for the one end zone. The Cowboys receiver lost sight of one pass during first half that would have been a first down instead they had to punt.
I think the big wall is a big joke at Fenway. Talk about the stadium coming into play in a bad way.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll bet the original poster has never endured getting sun-blasted throughout a September NFL game in the South. The occasional punt doinking off the screen is a small sacrifice for air conditioning.

Weather is a big part of our sports, especially football, but these new, sterile, overly extravagant indoor stadiums have taken the elements out of the game. Who doesn't love watching a muddy, rainy game or a game played during a blizzard? Those days are almost just a memory now.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weather is a big part of our sports, especially football, but these new, sterile, overly extravagant indoor stadiums have taken the elements out of the game. Who doesn't love watching a muddy, rainy game or a game played during a blizzard? Those days are almost just a memory now.
The majority of teams still play “ outside “

I just looked it up , 10 teams have a domed stadium . That’s actually more than I thought …

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Houston started the craze I guess with the Astrodome. I think there was one year where half the Astro games had to be rescheduled due to rain outs and wanted a way to play inside. They originally had glass panels on the roof so that they could have real grass, when it died "astroturf" was put down. Houston wouldn't spring for another stadium so the Oilers moved in. They had to play on the same turf including dirt sections where the bases were. Can't imagine. I don't think there was much padding under the turf either and they said it was like playing in a parking lot.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of teams still play “ outside “
The NFL does have a rule that the SB must be played in temps of 50 degree or better. So basically they're making northern teams build an indoor stadium in order to draw the big game.

For some reason, The Meadowlands was granted a SB in 2014, which was almost a disaster because a huge blizzard almost hit the day of the game. But 33 of 44 SB's have been played in only 5 locations, all warm weather places.