header.nohb.html

OT why I dislike indoor football and baseball

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw the headline and thought this was going to be about arena football.

And speaking of blasts from the past.. so I read somewhere that the USFL is coming back this year.

Keeping on topic, they'll probably be playing in some indoor stadiums I would imagine.

:p

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Weather is a big part of our sports, especially football, but these new, sterile, overly extravagant indoor stadiums have taken the elements out of the game. Who doesn't love watching a muddy, rainy game or a game played during a blizzard? Those days are almost just a memory now.
As long as your sitting in your den! Last outdoor game we went to Giants Stadium we had to shovel out our seats, pretty high up no doubt the nosebleeds can't even tell you how cold it was all I know is we had frostbite! havent been to an outdoor game since!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I’ll bet the original poster has never endured getting sun-blasted throughout a September NFL game in the South. The occasional punt doinking off the screen is a small sacrifice for air conditioning.
I will bet alot of people have never experienced the snowy cold in Foxboro MA, or far worse
in Buffalo.....sun, snow, rain ,mud etc its all part of the games the game was designed to be played in the elements, and not to be prone to "video screens" deflecting a ball.

And domed teams have clear unfair advantage, they know for at least 8 now maybe nine games what the weather will be and temp....70 degrees and no wind....they should be more on the road in December at the likes of Cleveland, Foxboro, Pittsburgh and especially Buffalo, try that on for size in late December, yikes !

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will bet alot of people have never experienced the snowy cold in Foxboro MA, or far worse
in Buffalo.....sun, snow, rain ,mud etc its all part of the games the game was designed to be played in the elements, and not to be prone to "video screens" deflecting a ball.

And domed teams have clear unfair advantage, they know for at least 8 now maybe nine games what the weather will be and temp....70 degrees and no wind....they should be more on the road in December at the likes of Cleveland, Foxboro, Pittsburgh and especially Buffalo, try that on for size in late December, yikes !
We had season tickets for the Steelers back in the 80's at Three Rivers Stadium during the Bubby Brister and Mark Malone years and me and my dad went to see the last game of the season against the Browns.

Both teams were crappy and were eliminated from playoff contention weeks earlier and it was freezing, sub zero weather.

I wore an orange deer hunting jumpsuit and a Shlitz hat and at halftime we went to the bathroom and it was wall to wall packed naturally when a Browns fan with a team hat on was standing in the middle of the crowd and started to get a rough ride from everyone around him.

My dad reached over and took the Schlitz hat off of my head.

We went to a bar on the Southside after that and watched the second half there.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackberry Brandy or Peach Schnapps were the drinks of choice for Jet games at the old Shea Stadium.

Fortunately, (ha!) the Jets rarely made the playoffs, so our season was always done before the real frigid weather rolled in! :icon_lol:

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thing I hate most about sports domes is what they made Drum Corps International sound like.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

By that logic, we should go back to living in caves
Weather is a big part of our sports, especially football, but these new, sterile, overly extravagant indoor stadiums have taken the elements out of the game. Who doesn't love watching a muddy, rainy game or a game played during a blizzard? Those days are almost just a memory now.
We might as well revive the tradition of living in a dank, wet unheated cave!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
By that logic, we should go back to living in caves

We might as well revive the tradition of living in a dank, wet unheated cave!
That really makes no sense to me, all I was saying is the game was designed to be played outdoors and that the elements are a part of the game, its 90 degrees game on, snowing like a banshee game on
mud...game on etc....and to have some teams play in perfect weather and they know it, is unfair to the other teams who dont have the same situation....sports is about having a level playing field as much as possible, thats why I think it would be fair for the domed teams to travel at least a couple of games
in December to the northeast.....would make it more fair.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be worse but the punter kept hitting the Jerrytron the first year so they raised that stuff up some. Not enough apparently?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That really makes no sense to me, all I was saying is the game was designed to be played outdoors and that the elements are a part of the game, its 90 degrees game on, snowing like a banshee game on
mud...game on etc....and to have some teams play in perfect weather and they know it, is unfair to the other teams who dont have the same situation....sports is about having a level playing field as much as possible, thats why I think it would be fair for the domed teams to travel at least a couple of games
in December to the northeast.....would make it more fair.
But don’t the outdoor teams have the advantage at home when a domed team comes to town . And how is good conditions in a dome only an advantage for the home team ?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

And I guarantee you no player from Cleveland or Pittsburgh looks forward to September games at Jacksonville with temps of 95 and humidity of 100%. The miserable weather goes both ways. Owners know that one thing more important than the purity of the game is getting fans in the stands and maximizing their potential for a sell out. Houston, Atlanta, Arizona, and New Orleans know that the heat and misery can't be avoided until at least November. I'd guess there's more of those hell-on-earth games than there are 20 degree games in the rain or snow in Foxborough.

tnsquint1

Reaction score
I don't want to get in any kind of sports debates. I'll say this about the boardd. The NFL has a hight minimum for scoreboards, the one at AT&T stadium exceeds that hight by a decent margin Kickers can hit the board, and good kickers will occasionally hit it during game. I'll talk about the board for a min. It's 8 stories tall, and 40 yards long. It's an incredible place.
If the NFL would have known kickers would occasionally hit it, they would have made the minimum taller.
That's an expensive oversight by the NFL
But to be fair, the scoreboard at AT&T stadium is movable, thanks to U2.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
But don’t the outdoor teams have the advantage at home when a domed team comes to town . And how is good conditions in a dome only an advantage for the home team ?
Yes, when say Indy plays Buffalo in December, no when Indy plays Houston in December
The advantage is the dome team has 8 home games with perfect weather the visiting team may have only one.

I tracked this a few yrs ago, Oakland now LV had No... NOT ONE bad weather away games
They travelled to Houston in December and Indy, wow thats tough....not

My point as always is keep the playing field as level as one can.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
And I guarantee you no player from Cleveland or Pittsburgh looks forward to September games at Jacksonville with temps of 95 and humidity of 100%. The miserable weather goes both ways. Owners know that one thing more important than the purity of the game is getting fans in the stands and maximizing their potential for a sell out. Houston, Atlanta, Arizona, and New Orleans know that the heat and misery can't be avoided until at least November. I'd guess there's more of those hell-on-earth games than there are 20 degree games in the rain or snow in Foxborough.
I agree the pendulum swings both ways but your numbers are a bit high, the avg hi temp in Jacksonville
in Sept is 87/71low and in oct 81/63. BUT it could hit the 90s with high hum.... same with Foxboro
hitting 15 degrees in early December, could happen....very rare

A fair way would be Pats play Miami in early September, Miami plays the Pats in mid to late December
Then the next yr Pats play in Miami late October, Miami plays Pats in early October, and so on.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are debating a new stadium in Buffalo right now and one of the issues is whether it should be an indoor dome. The other is if they should move downtown. The current stadium is in a heavy snow zone in western new york. Remember the snow bowl from a few years ago? The band of snow sat over the stadium for a few hours accumulating so much that they couldn’t throw or kick the ball. Sometimes it was even hard to find it! But outside of about a 10 mile wide stretch the roads were dry with no snow or rain. There are a lot of compelling reasons for making both changes including making the games more pleasant for fans and providing a multi-use facility for the region. Once they expanded Shea’s Buffalo Theatre in downtown Buffalo we started getting touring broadway shows that need the larger stage. No reason to think we wouldn’t get larger rock shows all year round if we had an indoor stadium in downtown. That being said I have been going to the last home game of the season for about ten years. The weather is extremely unpredictable. This year I saw the Bills beat the Jets to clinch the division and we had a relatively pleasant day despite some wind and rain during the tailgate. But of course the game against New England for the wild card on Sunday was in the single digits or below. Miserable weather although the game was sold out!! And It didn’t stop the Bills from a historic offensive performance. I would have loved it if Kansas City had to play here next week!!

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never happen. Nor should it. Playing at home is more then just the fans. How about the LA game that had more Niner fans then LA fans?

Do you think Green Bay would give up this home field advantage?

339E7C2C-F91F-48E4-A2D3-BDB1236704E8.jpeg

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So you don't like football and baseball because two of the 62 football and baseball franchises built stupid stadiums? Not sure how old you are but you really would have hated football and baseball in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when football and baseball franchises shared stadiums that sucked for both sports.
i loved old stadiums and their quirks.....baseball infields in football....high screens in the outfield....peskys pole in fenway
monuments in old yankee stadium in centerfield....low left field porch in the polo grounds....character man!!!