OT Wildlife venturing into urban communities

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
As traffic and perpetual motion of the city slows down to nothing, animals are starting to poke around to see what's up . Plenty of coyotes and occasionally wolves down by my fishing hole at the filtration plant in Britannia , about a 7 minute drive from where I'm sitting right now . I was walking through the bush and saw all kinds of tracks in the mud and snow - this is a conservation area NO DOGS ALLOWED . At sixty six , my Conan days are over so I kinda turned around and exited .

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW wolves and coyotes , must be an amazing buzz to see one in the wild.

One good thing in all this is that nature and the environment are getting a break from all the human activity and pollution we cause with airplanes and cars.
I wonder if afterwards will it have a positive effect on our behavior going forward.

It seems peculiar to me that on one hand we go thru what is essentially a war effort to save thousands of human lives, yet we let other species slip into extinction without much apparent regard.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here in Suburban Boston Coyotes are seen pretty frequently...and foxes are starting to make a more common appearance...and wild Turkeys have become common (though not this winter...dunno why)...and that was before Covid...here...I haven't noticed much of a change yet.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
My brother lives down in that area..he walks, snow shoes and cycles a lot..he has seen some stuff as of late also...

MrYikes

Reaction score
I live in a very wooded area so seeing wildlife is normal. We have 8 vultures roosting in our trees every night. I assume they are taking a break on their trip to Hinkley, Ohio, where their return is celebrated each year.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m in a suburb that’s on the western boundary of Chicago.

We’ve had coyotes walking up our alley, deer eating plants in my backyard (we have a fence so they jumped over it), foxes, lots of skunks and a f***load of rabbits (thanks to West Nile disease killing crows, thus interrupting the food chain).

We have more wildlife now than when we bought the house in ‘92. We don’t have construction displacing animals, so I don’t know why this is the case.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I love Britannia - doing a lap of Mud Lake is one of my favourite walks. Maybe I’ll run into you, Benny.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I live in Burbank, CA USA, only a few miles from the mountains, but definitely an urban area. Just the other day someone took a picture of a coyote walking along the bike path at 8am, a half-block from my house. (You can see the San Gabriel mountains in the background.)

Gotta respect nature — Burbank was the coyotes' home long before it was mine.

42dcbd029ebf4f606265d48dcf03a41e.jpeg.max800.jpeg

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We have Fox and Coyote around here. Black Bears if you get more rural and in the mountains. Fox have been everywhere the last couple of years. And my kids saw coyotes around their place in December.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
WOW wolves and coyotes , must be an amazing buzz to see one in the wild.

One good thing in all this is that nature and the environment are getting a break from all the human activity and pollution we cause with airplanes and cars.
I wonder if afterwards will it have a positive effect on our behavior going forward.

It seems peculiar to me that on one hand we go thru what is essentially a war effort to save thousands of human lives, yet we let other species slip into extinction without much apparent regard.
An amazing buzz from inside your car or through a pair of binoculars. Quite the other way if you encounter two or three coyotes a few yards away while strolling through an urban park .

Latest posts