OT: Your Favorite Live Album?

Tanabata

Reaction score
I listen to more live music than recording session music..... would be so hard to pick one, but from when it came out till now, I've always loved Lou Reed's "Rock 'n' Roll Animal."

Lately, can't get away from the Get Shown the Light box set by the Grateful Dead (May 1977), Trouble No More box set by Bob Dylan...... and then there's archive.org with tons of great Dead and Zeppelin boots..... and all the Jerry Garcia band bootlegs and official releases... and it goes on and on...

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love a good live album & couldn't pin it down to one. Here's a few of my faves:

James Brown - Live at the Apollo (1 & 2)
Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove
Parliament-Funkadelic - Mothership Connection Live
Aswad - Live & Direct
Average White Band - Person to Person (live)
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen - Live From Deep In The Heart Of Texas
Cypress Hill - Live at the Fillmore
David Bowie - Stage
Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963
King Tubby - Surrounded By The Dreads At The National Arena
Kool & the Gang - Live At P.J.'s
Grant Green - Alive/Live at the Lighthouse
The Lachy Doley Group - Live At Blues On Broadbeach 2016

and several by the Dead :angel12:

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frampton Comes Alive....?

Not sure how I feel about it now, but when I was 13 and my Mom and I would blast it as loud as my Radio Shack speakers could handle it sure felt like a great album!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Love dada’s Live Bootleg.

Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall is one of my favorites.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Live at Leeds is just so fierce.

This one King Crimson bootleg I had on cassette in High School, of the 80s band. Searching for that feeling my whole life since.

Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions.

Masada Live at Tonic 2001

Every Deerhoof live record.

Basically any live record where, when it starts, you have an instant sense of a particular time and place and no clear idea what might happen next.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

This one King Crimson bootleg I had on cassette in High School, of the 80s band. Searching for that feeling my whole life since.

Basically any live record where, when it starts, you have an instant sense of a particular time and place and no clear idea what might happen next.
Check the King Crimson DGM Live site. Between the CD releases and the downloads they have available, it is very likely it's there. "Absent Lovers" is a fantastic live disc of that era too.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom Dowd's remastered Allman Brothers Live At the Filmore East. There is a lot of wizardry on Dowd's part in remastering this concert audio considering how little it resembles the original and Dowd himself admits this. Still, putting that aside it is a masterpiece, so good in fact that it makes the original unlistenable.
Horns? Where did these horns come from? Duane you got to lose the horns. - TD

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great ones already listed, but here is a few

Hendrix in the West
Hendrix Concerts
Band of Gypsys Box set
Monterey
Miami Pop
Live at Winterland
Stages box set
Live at Berkeley
Live at Atlanta Pop

My favorite and hard to find cassette from Sony Music, Johnny B Goode

Yeah it's a theme....

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've never been big into live albums but I've heard most of the popular ones at least once. I like watching live performance DVD's better. Diana Krall Live In Paris is absolutely stellar.

As for Live albums, Johnny Winter And Live is probably my favorite for rock.

Miles Davis Live from the Plugged Nickel is good because Tony's on it playing his Gretsch Bop kit and legendary Ks. You can actually hear the cash register ringing up drink sales in the background at times!

I'm very fortunate to have several live concert & soundcheck recordings of Prince and his various bands that were recorded directly off the FOH mixing console by his former sound engineer that are absolutely mindboggling. Only a handful of lucky fans are even aware of their existence much less own any. I think I have around a dozen cds of these 2 and 3 hour shows and soundcheck audio. They're priceless to me.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Fillmore East

The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya Ya's Out (anyone who says that Charlie always played the way he does has never listened critically to this album. If you are also a fan of this album, see this about source concerts and overdubs: LINK)

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (I ripped the songs from this DVD into MP3 files)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - High Grass Dogs: Live from the Fillmore (I also ripped the songs from this DVD into MP3 files)

Trommeslager

Reaction score
Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous is best live album -- capturing a great band at height of powers.

Funny to me to see so many Allman Brothers. Oh, Lord I Feel Like I'm Dying after 10 minutes of Whipping Post, but it go on for more than 23 minutes. Is truly torture.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score

Wow gonna try every one of these out! EXCEPT--Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions: I got that the year it came out on a Dirty Santa game. WOW. Jack DeJohnette, playing his ass off, over 5 evenings of concerts including the Live-Evil show that has John McLaughlin. Keith Jarrett on Electric piano (pretty rare in and of itself). I LOVE THIS.

But most of the ones that first came to my mind are in the Rock area:

KISS Alive!
Frampton Comes Alive!
Deep Purple Made In Japan
Rush All The World's A Stage
Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo
Yessongs
Rainbow On Stage
ZZ Top Fandango
Coltrane Live at The Halftone, One Down, One Up.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Humble Pie LIVE at Winterland 1973 King Biscuit Flower Hour
Rockin' The Fillmore
Allman Brothers Ludlow Garage & Fillmore East