OT: Your Favorite Live Album?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Chuck Mangione’s Live at Hollywood Bowl is my favorite. What JBJ does on Children of Sanchez is just fantastic.

prplx

Reaction score
Why are there so many good live album recorded in Japan? Any reason behind this?

prplx

Reaction score
A few reasons: The Budokan sounds great. 2. Crowds remain quiet during the song, but give huge applause after every song. Drugs are hard to get, so musicians play better?
This actually makes a lot of sense, spcially 1 and 2!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
A few reasons: The Budokan sounds great. 2. Crowds remain quiet during the song, but give huge applause after every song. Drugs are hard to get, so musicians play better?
A big reason was that in the 70s, the recording equipment in Japan was superior to what was commonly seen in the USA or some parts of Europe. The Japanese would bring top-of-the-line gear, and were meticulous about getting good sounds to tape in a live setting. Whereas in the US, a live album was often an afterthought, with whatever gear they could get to a gig as cheaply as possible to record it. There are some 70s and 80s live albums from Japan that still sound better than stuff made since then elsewhere.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Number one for me is Frampton Comes Alive. That year my wife and I would blast that in the house on a summer afternoon with the windows open. We would be working in the yard or doing a barbeque and I can still hear it even now...

Honorable mention for me is The Ventures - Live In Japan. There were questions about this one, having obviously overdubbed crowd noise between tracks. And the Japanese were respectful during the songs, removing the live feel. But the band members always said it was real, and to a 15-year-old kid who was crazy about drums - it was real enough.

1965, remember those days?

Johnny K

Reaction score
1965, remember those days?
No. I was 2.

I do remember Frampton Comes Alive when I was in elementary school. Everone I knew who heard it (mostly my older female sibblings) thought he was saying with his talk box "I want to f*** you" instead of "I want to thank you"

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loggins and Messina- On Stage

Merel Bregante, playing Camcos.

Which has this gem.

Merel and the bassist, Larry Sims, just cook on this.

Last edited:

Latest posts