The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
M*A*S*H
Kelly's Heroes

I guess I have a "type" of war move.
All movies I grew up with ! Fun.

Also enjoyed:
"Midway" from a year or two ago.

"Tears of the Sun". One of the better portrayals of Navy Seals.

"Hacksaw Ridge".

"Patton". I had the fortune to talk to his nephew, LTC Colonel David Patton about the movie. He gave a smirk when I asked him about it.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool; thanks for sharing this perspective. I have become a lot more interested in WWII history recently, spurred by some of the great movies that have come out in the past few years. Although, I have to admit that now, when I think of Germany, I fantasize about traveling to the Sonor plant in Bad Berleburg to watch my custom SQ2 kit being made (me being able to afford this is also part of the fantasy), with the craftspeople showing me every step of the way as they make the kit how they don't cut corners and how they implement quality. They explain all of this to me in German, of course, with someone translating for me. I work in manufacturing quality, so this is all a big deal for me. I then leave the plant with an incredible SQ2 kit, each drum having been signed on the insides of the shells by the people who made it. That is what I think of when I think of Germany. Most other Americans, I would guess, think of beer and Mercedes-Benz. I guess I'm silly.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a closet movie critic / snob, so here's my list:

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Midway (70s version and recent)
Platoon
Apocalypse Now
The Deer Hunter
Joyeux Noel
The 12th Man
Kelly's Heroes
Inglorious Basterds
Hogan's Heroes (comedy series)
Dunkirk
Full Metal Jacket

I read on the internet that Hogan's Heroes actually became a semi-popular series in reruns in Germany, some years ago, once somebody figured out a way to translate the jokes properly into German. How cool.

Last edited:

KevinD

Reaction score
like a lot of war films. In no particular order

The Longest Day

A Bridge Too Far

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers (may as well be classified as a movie)

The Great Escape

The Dirty Dozen

Kelly’s Heroes

I don’t watch these for historical accuracy, each of them had a lot of holes in them, but they are great to watch.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Apocalypse Now, A Bridge Too Far, Cross of Iron, Soldier of Orange, Downfall.
Platoon is great, I wish Stone didn't clobber you with his "thematic" stuff.
Saving Private Ryan is a great B movie.
Dunkirk is really good, but I don't have a strong desire to watch it again.

The World at War documentary series is great.

Hated:
Fury-- US combat troops are portrayed as homicidal apes. And the insanely stupid ending where they wipe out a battalion of hardened troops from their buttoned up disabled tank.
1917-- Germans are basically video game automatons who will knife you if you rescue them from their burning airplane. Plus the whole premise is obnoxious.

Last edited:

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Das Boot (saw it first run in theater with English subtitles)
Paths of Glory (one of the best anti-war movies ever made)
and
Kelly's Hero's (also one of the best anti-war movies ever made)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Anything Kubrick! -

Paths of Glory
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove
Fear and Desire

Kubrick always managed to create magic not just behind the camera but he was one of those mad geniuses who brought out the magic in OTHER people. You could pick any major scene in his films and see an actor/ess giving the performance of a lifetime. His films have a creepy way of getting in your head from the first second and staying there - the opening of The Shining still gives me goosebumps - and you’re not really watching a movie, you’re experiencing something profound and more than a little disturbing. Infinite replay value.

Barry Lyndon and Spartacus aren’t “war movies” in the classic sense I think you mean, so I won’t try to slip them in (even Clockwork is kind of a war movie in an abstract way, but it’s on enough best-of lists without stretching a point!)

Vicey

Reaction score
My list would be redundant. But two comments: Das Boot is one of the only movies I've seen that I swear I could also smell. And Saving Pvt. Ryan is two movies: the Normandy scenes, which are both heartbreaking and breathtaking, and everything else, which relies much more heavily on recycled WWII Hollywood cliches.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patton, Platoon, Bridge over the River Kwai come to mind.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Walk in the Sun.

This movie is a must see for anyone interested in WWII. I have read that the Army has use it as a training film example in leadership...gritty and real, not galmorous.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan - that movie changed war movies forever. Never again would war movies be basically bloodless. Super realistic!

Most of the WWII movies that I like have been mentioned, so for -

Viet Nam - We Were Soldiers
Somalia - Black Hawk Down
Korea - Pork Chop Hill

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krajobraz po bitwie
(Landscape After Battle)

a Polish film from 1970 by director Andrzej Wajda.
Probably one of the best films I have seen.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Die Weisse Rose

We watched it in my high school German class, way back when. I then visited Germany twice (before and right after the wall came down) as part of an exchange program, lived with German families. When I went to Munich, I made sure to go to the University where much of the story happened. A moving experience, especially at that time.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devil's Brigade
Bridge at Remagen
12 O'Clock High
Fury
A Bridge Too Far
Midway
Saving Private Ryan
Von Ryan's Express
We were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually the best war movie I ever saw was Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
does Band of Brothers count?
does Lord of the Rings count?

The Patriot
First Blood

Kind of guilty pleasure but RED DAWN. Early Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey and what's her name from Back to the Future? Total cutie. Lea Thompson! Communists parachute in and take over the country. Some rural Colorado high school kids escape and live up in the mountains, engaging in geurilla warfare. Kind of a stupid movie but I LOVE IT!

I am NOT a war movie guy. For me, if I want to see it again, it's a really good war movie.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are both fairly recent docs.

The Cold Blue; personal accounts of B17 missions. It's all about the stories and the memories.

They Shall Not Grow Old; Amazing troop footage, and again, it's all about the personal recollections.