OT: Your Favorite War Movies

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Very cool; thanks for sharing this perspective. I have become a lot more interested in WWII history recently, spurred by some of the great movies that have come out in the past few years. Although, I have to admit that now, when I think of Germany, I fantasize about traveling to the Sonor plant in Bad Berleburg to watch my custom SQ2 kit being made (me being able to afford this is also part of the fantasy), with the craftspeople showing me every step of the way as they make the kit how they don't cut corners and how they implement quality. They explain all of this to me in German, of course, with someone translating for me. I work in manufacturing quality, so this is all a big deal for me. I then leave the plant with an incredible SQ2 kit, each drum having been signed on the insides of the shells by the people who made it. That is what I think of when I think of Germany. Most other Americans, I would guess, think of beer and Mercedes-Benz. I guess I'm silly.
I don`t know about the size of your custom SQ2 kit, but at least a stay in Bad Berleburg should be quite affordable. Apart from the quite small Sonor plant there is: nothing! This trip should easily be combinable with lots of beer (avoid the regional made brands "Warsteiner" and "Krombacher", very big breweries making awful stuff!) and Mercedes-Benz (just take a taxi, unless companies have changed to VW Tourans or Toyota Prius). Do it!

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Glory - unbelievably good Civil War drama

The BBC did a miniseries of “War and Peace” in 2016. The Napoleonic war scenes were breathtaking, in fact every part was extremely moving. My wife and I loved it so much we got it on Blu-Ray.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of my favorites have been mentioned. A few I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

- Hitler: The Last 10 Days
- Failsafe (cold war)
- Exodus
- Sergeant York

Last edited:

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Down Fall
Bruno Ganz portal of Hitler is spot on. He mentioned in an interview that it even startled him. Ganz passed away a few years ago.

Stalingrad, Come and See, and I have one that was an independent film, name escapes me right now, Saints and something. Need to find my box of dvds

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan , The Deer Hunter

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything Kubrick! -

Fear and Desire
Fear & Desire is a very interesting film within the context of its era. The actor who played Private Sydney went on to direct some pretty good films.

1917 is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past 5 years.

other great films include Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and The Thin Red Line

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
A second recommendation for Downfall. I saw it in German with English subtitles and it was absolutely mesmerizing.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don`t know about the size of your custom SQ2 kit, but at least a stay in Bad Berleburg should be quite affordable. Apart from the quite small Sonor plant there is: nothing! This trip should easily be combinable with lots of beer (avoid the regional made brands "Warsteiner" and "Krombacher", very big breweries making awful stuff!) and Mercedes-Benz (just take a taxi, unless companies have changed to VW Tourans or Toyota Prius). Do it!
The kit would be 5 drums, and would probably cost more than the trip! But I can make that a "bucket list" thing to do. Go to Germany, avoid Berlin, don't drink any beer, do my Colonel Klink impression for people, and make it all about a drum kit. Yes.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably liked Enemy at the Gate .
You know, I read a book with the same title many years ago in which Zaitsev had a whole chapter to himself , so when I saw the movie ads I knew right away that it was a film adaptation . With the exception of the romantic sub plot it stayed fairly close to the book . Hollywood be thy name .

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Read the Exorcist many moons ago,then saw the movie.
Missing a few sub plots here and there as opposed to the movie.
The setup for verisimilitude was also a lot more detailed in the book.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
I'm a closet movie critic / snob, so here's my list:

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Midway (70s version and recent)
Platoon
Apocalypse Now
The Deer Hunter
Joyeux Noel
The 12th Man
Kelly's Heroes
Inglorious Basterds
Hogan's Heroes (comedy series)
Dunkirk
Full Metal Jacket

I read on the internet that Hogan's Heroes actually became a semi-popular series in reruns in Germany, some years ago, once somebody figured out a way to translate the jokes properly into German. How cool.
I remember finding Hogan's Heros funny when I was a kid, and haven't seen it since, but I think it was an odd choice of subject for a comedy twenty years after the war ended. I mean I wouldn't expect a sitcom about 9/11 to be well received these days ...

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are so many that are set in a war era but are not necessarily about the war. Cold Mountain is an example. Here are one that are:

Black Hawk Down
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private RyaN
Band of Brothers
Thin Red Line
Gettysburg
Glory
Platoon
Dunkirk

Last edited:

toddbishop

Reaction score
Berlin is great. Unless you hate music, art, history, food, and people.

lots of beer (avoid the regional made brands "Warsteiner" and "Krombacher", very big breweries making awful stuff!)
What do you like? I played at Dumont's in Aachen and was drinking Gaffel Kölsch (I think?)-- I liked it, but the bartender said something like "HO HO HO THAT IS GAY COLOGNE BEER." It was was the main thing they were serving, so I think he was just playing around.