OT: Your Favorite War Movies

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen They Shall Not Grow Old, dir. Peter Jackson?

Yes, I mentioned this as a fave, a page or 2 back. Great footage, and I love the matter-of-fact commentary from those who were there. I also recommend, "The Cold Blue", if you haven't seen it. Some (to me) surprising facts revealed; for example, the average temp in a B17 flying at altitude was -40, so frostbite was common problem.

I almost forgot to mention my all-time favorite, The Fog of War. A doc piece on McNamara reflecting on his roles in both the WWII and the Vietnam War. Regardless of your feelings about him, it's a compelling film.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember McNamara saying he and LeMay would have been brought up on war crimes charges if the US had lost the war.
Pretty candid stuff(though not a war movie per say)

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember finding Hogan's Heros funny when I was a kid, and haven't seen it since, but I think it was an odd choice of subject for a comedy twenty years after the war ended. I mean I wouldn't expect a sitcom about 9/11 to be well received these days ...
The joke (and I LOVE this) is that the actors playing the Germans were almost to a man, Jewish.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Flight of the Intruder
We Were Soldiers
Fire Base Gloria
Midway (1976 version)
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just saw Mosul on Netflix, and it was very gritty and action-packed, if you don’t mind subtitles.
It was good. On a related note, I cant stand anything about Sacha Baron Cohen personally, but his portrayal of Eli Cohen in Spy is the best thing he's ever done.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So many. Platoon affected me like I didn't think it would. I'm interested in Tom Hanks new one coming out - 'Greyhound.'

Germandrummer

Reaction score
What do you like? I played at Dumont's in Aachen and was drinking Gaffel Kölsch (I think?)-- I liked it, but the bartender said something like "HO HO HO THAT IS GAY COLOGNE BEER." It was was the main thing they were serving, so I think he was just playing around.
Cool! I visited the Dumonts quite often in earlier days. "Gaffel Kölsch" from cologne is a big player in the western part of Germany being "Kölsch" a brewery method like "Pils" or "Lager". It`s definitely better than "Krombacher" and "Warsteiner". Cologne is the gay capital of Germany so he might have referred to that. Kölsch is also sometimes called "girl`s beer" being comparatively sweet.

If available I recommend you to try all beers from the "Rothaus"-brewery. It`s the last state-run brewery in Germany providing amongst others the wonderful "Tannenzäpfle" (actually "fir cone"). Very delicious!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The joke (and I LOVE this) is that the actors playing the Germans were almost to a man, Jewish.
Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Robert Clary (LeBeau) are all Jewish. Klemperer supposedly only took the role contingent upon Hogan and his men getting the better of Klink every time.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was Howard Caine (Cohen) Jewish too? He played Hochstetter
So the 4 main German characters were all played by Jews.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have seen a thing on streaming where a man actor of arab descent is playing a jewish man.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably one of only a few "dudes" who doesn't like war movies. Or horror, gore and stuff like that in general. Life can be traumatic enough, I want to laugh and groove and cheer as a spectator.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember finding Hogan's Heros funny when I was a kid, and haven't seen it since, but I think it was an odd choice of subject for a comedy twenty years after the war ended. I mean I wouldn't expect a sitcom about 9/11 to be well received these days ...
I happened to be watching it recently, and my daughters -25 & 27, were completely flipped out about it. They simply couldn’t believe that you could make a comedy show about the Nazis like that. And I couldn’t really understand there reaction, because to me it was just another war show/movie, and I had been brought up on all of that, so I never even blinked or gave it a thought that it might be controversial. Goes to show you the differences in a generation!

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Mine are both fairly recent docs.

The Cold Blue; personal accounts of B17 missions. It's all about the stories and the memories.
The score for Cold Blue was written by one of my favorite artists... the great British singer/songwriter/guitarist Richard Thompson. The score is a departure for him, as it is closer to modern classical music than his usual folk/ rock fare, but it sounds quite good.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I happened to be watching it recently, and my daughters -25 & 27, were completely flipped out about it. They simply couldn’t believe that you could make a comedy show about the Nazis like that. And I couldn’t really understand there reaction, because to me it was just another war show/movie, and I had been brought up on all of that, so I never even blinked or gave it a thought that it might be controversial. Goes to show you the differences in a generation!
Have they seen Blazing Saddles and The Producers?