OT: Your Favorite War Movies

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Band of Brothers and The Pacific got me obsessed with WW2 stuff. Just an absolutely incredible series. The music in both of these is amazing.

I had heard Hanks was working on a new one, but haven't seen anything else about it.
Band of Brothers is my most favorite tv program of all, no question... I have been waiting for the new series with baited breath. Supposed to be in production now, going to be on Apple TV now instead of HBO:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Band of Brothers is my most favorite tv program of all, no question... I have been waiting for the new series with baited breath. Supposed to be in production now, going to be on Apple TV now instead of HBO:

Can not wait for that!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan
Midway (the recent, the 70's one is good too)
Pearl Harbor (yeah way to Hollywood, but I still watch it every time it comes on)
The Patriot
Unbroken
Full Metal Jacket
Forest Gump (I think would count)
Memphis Belle

A few lesser known maybe:
The Pianist
Flyboys

Ang

Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
1917 (cinematically great)
Generation War (series)
The Pacific
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Enemy at the Gates

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can not wait for that!
I would bet this will be very well done and as close to historically accurate as possible. Co-exec producer/writer John Orloff was one of the contributing writers on Band of Brothers (credited with 2 episodes). When BoB came out there was some grumbling among historians and some WW2 vets about certain inaccuracies throughout the series. (Personally I felt most were nitpicking, and did not adversely impact the overall outcome, it was a great series). But you know how some people can get irked when they see a Pearl drum set with the 7/8” tom arms in a movie scene that is supposed to take place in 1957…

To my knowledge, John Orloff was the only writer on that series that was brave enough to speak with a lot of his critics and even frequently go on WW2 forums to see what he and the other writers could do better the next time. He also described the many pressures the writers and production staff faced in trying to bring those episodes in on time and on budget. With that sometimes minor things (like the correct badge on a German cap) slip through the cracks, or for story clarity, sometimes multiple characters were consolidated into a single character to streamline things for the viewer.

So this is one I look forward to seeing for sure.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you know that R. Lee Ermey played a drill sergeant in a feature film in the 70s, and was also in a near-fatal car wreck while Full Metal Jacket was being shot? This video is very much worth watching.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
The original All Quiet on the Western Front with Lew Ayers. Many of the extras were WW1 veterans, I can’t imagine the memories that were churned up by their participation. Ayers became a committed pacifist after making it and served with distinction in the Medical Corps during WW2. The ending is haunting.
Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart is also a great movie, with a very affecting performance by him. A good portrayal of someone who is desperate to keep war at arm’s length and gets swept up in it anyway.

ocgvictoria

Reaction score
Some great movies listed in earlier posts. Most of you are too young to remember but the “Combat” TV series had some great episodes. Other episodes, not so great!

ocgvictoria

Reaction score
Watching some older movies on TCM, which often highlighted the emotional toll war takes on soldiers and civilians, here are there you should watch;
The Best Years of Our Lives
Pride of the Marines
Mrs Miniver