Other Drummers on your kit.

chillybase

Reaction score
I'm also a lefty although I don't play out much at the moment.

I know that if I were to sit in on an open mic setting that I would still ask if I could swap things around for a few songs. I've been concentrating on getting the most out of kick-snare-hats setup. Though I'm nowhere near a Nate Smith level of playing. I think it would be common courtesy to ask and to help set things back up for righty players.

My drum teacher, who is also an old friend of mine, was the only teacher willing to teach me as a lefty. I've contacted some bigger name guys as to whether they cater to lefties for drum camps -- the only person that caters (so far) is Billy Martin.

In general, I think if you start hosting open mics then I'd go with a beater kit (perhaps minimal to accommodate the occasional lefty) and some beater instruments. Back when I was playing open mics in my early 20s as a guitarist/singer, I do recall asking if I could do alternate tunings before I would play. Tuning the guitar back up after I was finished.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I had an example of this happen this summer. I played a nice outdoor party on a big deck overlooking a lake. I had my trusty classic maples with my Paiste GB's. There was a guy there that had played with the band before (used the old drummers set as I was not there) and was told he was pretty harmless. It had been years since anyone had sat in on my drums so I let him have a few tunes. I figured I would walk down to the beach and hear the set from out front as I never know what it sounds like.

He seemed OK for the first tune (though he was a terrible drummer) but after he got somewhat comfortable it was whack away time! He was totally bashing my set and those poor Paiste cymbals that I made him stop after that next tune. It ruined the rest of my night as I still had a full set to go and it literally felt like someone had violated my drums. The snare head had a few dents and the cymbal stands had come down a little from the hard hits with no glances. Fortunately nothing broke or cracked and I said never again. Lesson learned...

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i never ask to sit in .... i get asked to sit in from time to time .... if i sit in i don't adjust anything
and no one sits on my set , unless i know him or her .....

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
One time at a festival, I was asked if I would let a couple of other acts use my stuff. They would pay me $50. First up was Nikki Otis with the Johnny Otis show. He was respectful and not a basher. Next up was James Cotton and his drummer was named "Animal" and he lived up to his name. My stuff had never been pounded and bashed like that in it's life! Learned a valuable lesson that day.

Last edited:

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every time this subject comes up I'm reminded that most people on here must not play multi-band bills where one of the (usually 3) drummers often offers up their kit for everyone to use. That scene must have less drunks or assholes or something because I've pretty much never had a problem with it, providing my drums many, many times.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Yup, this is one nice thing about being a lefty. If they ask, I just say it's set up for a left handed player and I don't want it changed around. I've only run into some huffing and puffing a few times, but no more than that. No one plays my kit except friends who I know are good drummers. With them I will go out of my way to switch it around and set things up. Most of them are great players and it's a pleasure to hear them play.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Every time this subject comes up I'm reminded that most people on here must not play multi-band bills where one of the (usually 3) drummers often offers up their kit for everyone to use. That scene must have less drunks or assholes or something because I've pretty much never had a problem with it, providing my drums many, many times.
For the most part we play 3 and 4 hour gigs doing covers and originals with only us on the bill. We do the occasional multi-band gig, but generally those have a backline provided by a rental company since they're usually festivals. For the bar scene, I'm generally not the one providing my drums as we likely have a gig either right before or right after our set, so I can't leave my drums there. During those multi-band situations I've rarely had problems though. It's usually during our regular gigs that drunks will come up to ask to sit in; they're the ones who cause the most problems.

When we did our CD release last year, we had two bands open for us, but those two drummers are on my "approved" list, so I had no problem letting them sit in.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda my vibe here too. Gigs in small clubs with bands playing original music generally means backlining a kit. It's not a big deal. You backline yours a couple of times, someone will backline theirs a couple of times.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't care if stuff is moved around, but don't change my tuning. Asking is the norm in my world. I play on a lot of shows with multiple bands and isn't uncommon to share a kit with a drummer or 2. No biggie. Bring your own cymbals snare and pedal(s)

Latest posts