Other than drums....

Targalx

Reaction score
Guitar (and, by extension, bass guitar). Decent whistler too, but I'm no Toots Thielemans (RIP).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guitar for 22 years (self taught), including electric & acoustic. I've been playing bass on and off for about 25 years (electric and fretless electric)......I also bought a piano a few years ago and have been noodling around. Tons of percussion. Used to play violin in 3rd - 7th grade - still have it but haven't played in ages......

I wish I knew how to trumpet or sax........

Plucky

Reaction score
Been all about dat bass for 12 years now, and by extension guitar as well. I can find notes on a keyboard, but wouldn't call myself a keyboardist by any means.

Drums is actually new for me (my set comes in next week), looking forward to it!

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I normally just stick to percussion in our acoustic group. But our regular bass-player was recovering from oral surgery and could not make our monthly restaurant gig last Thursday; so I brought out my custom-made 2-string fretless bass, and covered for him. (When we work on new songs, I make it a point to learn the keys and chord changes, etc., even though I am playing percussion. That proves helpful, because our bass player is in another band as well... so if it's not oral surgery, it could be a booking conflict that requires me to step in as fill-in bassist.)

I put together a small percussion rig for that gig, too. Attempted some musical multi-tasking.. playing bass and inserting percussion here & there, where I could.

LT20170817a.jpg

LT20170817b.jpg

2_string_bass.jpg

xipa4

Sister Cool
Reaction score
JoePasko2002 said:
I normally just stick to percussion in our acoustic group. But our regular bass-player was recovering from oral surgery and could not make our monthly restaurant gig last Thursday; so I brought out my custom-made 2-string fretless bass, and covered for him. (When we work on new songs, I make it a point to learn the keys and chord changes, etc., even though I am playing percussion. That proves helpful, because our bass player is in another band as well... so if it's not oral surgery, it could be a booking conflict that requires me to step in as fill-in bassist.)

I put together a small percussion rig for that gig, too. Attempted some musical multi-tasking.. playing bass and inserting percussion here & there, where I could.

LT20170817a.jpg

LT20170817b.jpg

2_string_bass.jpg
2 string fretless bass and also playing bass and percussion simultaneously,that's very cool!

JMSpider

Reaction score
Anything that you would find in the percussion section in a high school band room from vibraslap to timpani. Currently playing vibraphone in the pit for my schools marching band show.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bass, a smidgeon of guitar, and synthesizers. I can read some simple saxophone parts.

TeleMac

Reaction score
tacosthecrow said:
vibrophone, theremin, guitar, congas
theremin: does one actually play a theremin or do you just wave your hands around and make strange sounds? We had a band with a theremin visit Whitehorse recently and the guy used an autotuner box so it only played in tuned steps. It kind of wasted the infinite soundscape nature of the beast and I had to wonder what the point of doing it was. The guy was more or a performance artist so he liked waving his arms in time to the music and didn't need to worry about pitch control.

Drums are my new instrument after playing guitar, bass and mandolin since high school.