Otis - "Let Me Come On Home" What gives with the tambourine?

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who mixed this? Why is the tambourine so loud. Seems like it was almost an afterthought to the track. Is it because It was Otis Playing it and so it's coming through his vocal mic that it sits so high in the track? Definitely overrides the rhythm section. Thoughts or input?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The tambourine sounded balanced in that mix in my opinion. In fact, if you hadn't pointed out the "problem," with the tambourine, I would have paid it no attention at all.

GeeDeeEmm

Roadappledrummer

Reaction score
I don't think it's that bad...I think it's worse on a multitude of Beatle's tracks where you can't even hear Ringo's hi hat...those drive me batty

rock roll

Reaction score
I'm your huckleberry.....
It's a little loud but for the times it wouldn't be considered too loud.
He does a great job with the timing til the end , I'm impressed if that's Otis playing it.
And I think your right about mic bleed thru.they probably had no alternative but to make it a lead instrument.
And they weren't going to re record the song, not back then.
If I was the A and R guy ... I would say " tambourine is a bit loud but I like the song,it's a hit, press em" .

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The tambourine is louder than the cymbals or hi hat, but doesn't seem TOO loud to me...

The main thing that strikes me is: the bass drum is WAY higher in pitch than any contemporary pop recording....

rock roll

Reaction score
Sounds great to me. I can't figure out who the drummer is.....that snare is amazing! Probably a Supra?
Al Jackson jr .... As parkermike has said.
He's a big influence of mine. He died young unfortunately.
He was the house drummer for stax/volt,the drummer for booker t and the mgs . Which was the house band for stax/volt. Plus iasac Hayes on piano (and house song writer) .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rock, I read about him. He had 2 kits - a Rogers w/a wood Powertone, and a black Rogers 12/16/20 w/Acrolite. He was the drummer for Booker T, too.......sad story to hear.....thanks.

rock roll

Reaction score
Yup , the guy just oozed groove.
As the house drummer for stax/volt , you'll hear him on Sam and Dave records, Otis Redding records, Rufus Thomas , Johnny Taylor , Eddie Floyd , etc.
Stax/volt was the number 2 ... R n B / soul record label . Only berry gordy's Motown had more hits.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I think it sits pretty well in the mix. Since it's a bright instrument, it's hard to place it perfectly in the mix without it taking over another instrument, plus if this was recorded on 4 track, it was probably mixed with another instrument or multiple instruments and couldn't be changed later.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No problems there. Those were primitive times...all in all, sounds good.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Mixing the tambourine 'hot' was common in on many R&B songs..... a trick that started by Motown in its early recordings.
Al Jackson Jr - have read too about the Rogers drums, but you can also see many pics of him with a Supra as well, or playing Gretsch drums. I read a book on Stax records where, apparently, his trick was to put his wallet on the snare, on ALL his tracks.