Our 19-year-old girl drummer playing "Sing, Sing, Sing" on calfskin WFLs in front of 1500.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not easily impressed, but this is really great! You should be really proud! I'm also impressed with the entire ensemble. I've heard many "professional" bands play Sing, Sing, Sing, but this group really nails it! That, plus it's just great to hear younger players acknowledging our past Big Band groups. Well done!

-Mark

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great band, great drummer and great audience BUT you can barley hear the drums.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Refreshing to see the vast majority immersed in dancing and good ol' analog humanity instead of watching the show through phone screens like robots. Maybe Gen Z will save humankind from the Millennials!

Last edited:

beantownswing

Reaction score
Great band, great drummer and great audience BUT you can barley hear the drums.
I thought she projected well, given the apparently spartan sound reinforcement.
Unfortunately due to technical issues, we had to use (poor quality audio) from one of the camcorders that was placed on stage next to the heckling crowd. There is also a phone video where you can hear the drums better since it was right in front of the main speaker:

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very well done! It was nice to see and hear the proper sounding cowbell for this piece.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to technical issues, we had to use (poor quality audio) from one of the camcorders that was placed on stage next to the heckling crowd. There is also a phone video where you can hear the drums better since it was right in front of the main speaker:
If the crowd in front of the stage has a blast in the moment, that's all that really matters. Quality of capture doesn't really matter much, IMO. It can't put you there in front of the stage, feeling that excitement. At best it can show you what the people there were feeling, which doesn't require bass frequencies.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing...she kills it...and the audience and camera work really help sell it.
I assume this was a HS or College band.

Where was this (I'm in MA as well)....

beantownswing

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing...she kills it...and the audience and camera work really help sell it.
I assume this was a HS or College band.

Where was this (I'm in MA as well)....
Glad you like! The Beantown Swing Orchestra is actually a pro band with most of its players aged 16-22. Almost all were recruited while in high school or middle school and trained on Swing Era music performance using pre-WWII instruments. The show was at Crane's Beach in Ipswich on August 6. Here are more videos from the event if you are interested!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy those drums "sang, sang, sang!" Leedys or?