Our 19-year-old girl drummer playing "Sing, Sing, Sing" on calfskin WFLs in front of 1500.

beantownswing

Reaction score
This was great! But...young kids getting into swing? Was this staged? I'm being serious....
This definitely was not staged. The band has a sizeable teen following (probably due to the age of the musicians) but we did not expect this kind of youth turnout or response.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
My solo Beatles tribute band played that venue. Great outdoor set up, and the crowd was great. The kids up there do like music and are an appreciative audience.

Snowdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Talk about nailing the feel and vibe of a performance...these young musicians brought real fire to the song. Shades of Goodman/Krupa/James. Excellent!

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wunderbar!!!!

Gene & Benny would be proud for sure! The vintage tubs, pies and calf top it all off and are so fitting!
They all nailed it!!!! Thx for posting this!!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
This is what jazz is supposed to be about - both on and in front of the stage. Wow. Just wow.

Don't forget about Hayburner! It'll get em moving.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Not sure if this was you that I dealt with but I sold a WFL snare to the bandleader of this band and I was very impressed with the drum collection he had for the band. The band is amazing too. Your daughter does a great job here!

beantownswing

Reaction score
Hey Kurt, yes this is Frank the bandleader and that is the WFL snare you sold me. We put calfskin heads on it from Stern Tanning and it sounds great. Mira the drummer is not my daughter but one the players we trained while in high school, and she likes your snare the best. We had the floor tom and bass drum wrapped in the same black diamond pearl. Great to hear from you and thanks for the nice comment!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hey Kurt, yes this is Frank the bandleader and that is the WFL snare you sold me. We put calfskin heads on it from Stern Tanning and it sounds great. Mira the drummer is not my daughter but one the players we trained while in high school, and she likes your snare the best. We had the floor tom and bass drum wrapped in the same black diamond pearl. Great to hear from you and thanks for the nice comment!

Glad to see you still have things going again after Covid. It's amazing to see kids this age interested in jazz. Keep up the good work!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! Couldn’t make out all the drums but the tom looked to be a zephyr-lugged WFL. More, please!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Glad you like! The Beantown Swing Orchestra is actually a pro band with most of its players aged 16-22. Almost all were recruited while in high school or middle school and trained on Swing Era music performance using pre-WWII instruments. The show was at Crane's Beach in Ipswich on August 6. Here are more videos from the event if you are interested!
Thanks for posting. Got the ‘goosebumps’ on a few of the songs. Took me back to High School Big Band Jazz Band 1975.
Looks like all had a good time. Some kids making fun/mocking the music/dance but they probably don’t understand, and they are kids. Even so they probably had a good time at that.

beantownswing

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Got the ‘goosebumps’ on a few of the songs. Took me back to High School Big Band Jazz Band 1975.
Looks like all had a good time. Some kids making fun/mocking the music/dance but they probably don’t understand, and they are kids. Even so they probably had a good time at that.
Glad you liked the videos. I know our trumpet player Clara Mazo had a bunch of friends in the crowd and they were heckling her the whole time, which was pretty funny.

beantownswing

Reaction score
Glad to see you still have things going again after Covid. It's amazing to see kids this age interested in jazz. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Kurt! Here you can hear Mira soloing on your 1930s WFL 7x14 snare with Stern Tanning calfskin heads and Grover SX wires: