Our 19-year-old girl drummer playing "Sing, Sing, Sing" on calfskin WFLs in front of 1500.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to be honest....I could have used a little more cowbell.

Nah, only kidding, GREAT JOB all the way around, so refreshing to see young people playing and listening/dancing to some great music. I play in a swing band in Maine in the summer and thats about the one song we dont do....probably because A) not enough players and B) probably not good enough.

Great music played very, very well to an enthusiastic crowd in a nice town (Ipswich) on
summer night, yep gotta love that.

beantownswing

Reaction score
I have to be honest....I could have used a little more cowbell.

Nah, only kidding, GREAT JOB all the way around, so refreshing to see young people playing and listening/dancing to some great music. I play in a swing band in Maine in the summer and thats about the one song we dont do....probably because A) not enough players and B) probably not good enough.

Great music played very, very well to an enthusiastic crowd in a nice town (Ipswich) on
summer night, yep gotta love that.
Haha thanks. We actually rehearsed the cowbell cue because if she didn't hit it hard or confidently enough, the band might not all come back in which has happened before. I had made the same "more cowbell!" comment but wasn't sure she got the reference since she wasn't born when the SNL skit came out!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Haha thanks. We actually rehearsed the cowbell cue because if she didn't hit it hard or confidently enough, the band might not all come back in which has happened before. I had made the same "more cowbell!" comment but wasn't sure she got the reference since she wasn't born when the SNL skit came out!

Too funny. That solo on the WFL snare sounded great.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to technical issues, we had to use (poor quality audio) from one of the camcorders that was placed on stage next to the heckling crowd. There is also a phone video where you can hear the drums better since it was right in front of the main speaker:
You can really hear that bass player pluck those strings!
Great job all around!

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In these micro kick drum times, it's not every day you see the BD beater hitting well below the center of the head.

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez Louise that band is swingin daddy-o and i mean swaaaaangin! That bassist deserves some praise too. That dude got pocket. Very solid walkin from him. And ya the drummer man that's a high pressure situation. To have everyone look at you, the whole crowd full of her peers, and the whole band. Her lil heart must have been pounding. But maybe she's used to this situation. But for me at 19 my whole body would have been pumping with adrenaline and my eyeballs almost popping out of my head.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
And that was the longest beater we could find (modern or vintage) to go with that 28" bass drum.
I made a beater to hit dead center on a 32 I once had but it had a mind of its own and you better get your shin out of the way. I was fixing to sample my 26 before selling it, and just tuning it up hitting it with a stick I was surprised just how far below dead center the fullest sound came. Like maybe i'll try my son's swivotamamatic - it was very very low