Out of Round Question

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight on this please. If you try putting a head on a drum and it doesn't sit quite right, you kind of have to snap it on and once you do it is TIGHT...does this mean the shell is slightly out of round? Or are some shells slightly oversized? You could also tilt or rock the head on the shell once it was on. The drum I encountered this with was a Gretsch Broadkaster series snare. I've noticed other imperfections on this kit as well, so I'm becoming dubious of Gretch quality control. I'm not sure if this is just me.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can tilt it that generally means out of round. It's longer in the tight spots than in the loose spots, which allows the rocking. It'll be either the head or the shell, check a couple heads and you'll know which one it is if they're all like that.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this kit wrapped or lacquered? How old is it? Do you experience this problem with any other drums in the kit? Which heads are you using?

And, yes, like Ludwig, Gretsch has had its share of quality control issues over the years.

GeeDeeEmm

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's not my kit. I was changing a rim, and the stock Gretsch head (permatone), was tight coming off and going back on. The bearing edge wasn't as smooth as I'd like and there were tiny gouges in it in a couple of spots. Enough to make a difference? Doubtful, but it bothered me. But it tuned right up and actually with that new rim sounded better than it had before.

There was a bad seam on the floor tom, and it had to be sent back to be fixed before he bought the kit. I also noticed in the rack tom, which I can never get tuned to my satisfaction, that there is a noticeable bulge in the interior of the shell. It runs from top to bottom. Because of the silver sealer, you can't see a seam, so I don't know if this is where the plies overlap. So I don't know if that bulge is normal. The only drum I didn't get my face into was the kick. But three out of four drums with an issue, that threw me offs.

It's not my kit, and he LOVES it, so I don;t want to pick anything apart. IN the end all that matters is that he loves it. So the reason I'm asking is that in my hunt for a wooden snare, I tried out a Brooklyn Standard snare with an internal muffler. It was fine without the muffler applied, nothing remarkable but fine, but once the muffler was on, the drum BARKED. It sounded damn god. But at $500, especially with cheaper poplar wood used, I expect it to be delivered perfect. Now mistakes happen in manufacture, I understand that. But that should be an anomaly, and not the norm. (I had an issue with cracked floor toms on my new Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit (one was practically microscopic on the inside), and they made me two new ones immediately, which I just picked up. So please don't think I'm pointing a finger at Gretsch.) I've read other problems with Gretsch on the forum already. In the end, I'm on the fence, wondering if I should even consider Gretsch in in the future, or simply admire them at a distance.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this kit wrapped or lacquered? How old is it? Do you experience this problem with any other drums in the kit? Which heads are you using?

And, yes, like Ludwig, Gretsch has had its share of quality control issues over the years.

GeeDeeEmm
6 months old -- lacquered kit.