Outdoor gigs in the Florida heat

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My 2012 classic maple set has been everywhere with me. It even got hit by a freak rain storm and everything looks great on the set after 300 plus gigs. I went with champagne sparkle as I figured the lighter color would reflect the light. I have been outside in 90 degree weather with the sun beaming directly on the set, I pit my hand on the front of the tom and they weren't even warm. I uses cases and bring my drums into the house after gigs but other than that I have not done much. I'm surprised at how well this set has held up. They are like a tank.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like Friday’s gigs going to be in the 90’s when the hammer drops at 5. Probably won’t go down more than a few degrees. I’m 62 in average overall health and fitnesss , no health problems but even still I’m somewhat reluctant to do the music marathon in this high heat. What’s you cut off point for heat temp and humidity ?
0A8A0BC6-08C2-487C-9088-18DDBEB0AADC.jpeg

What It Is

Reaction score
105 heat index for Chicago this weekend. Had an outdoor gig on Saturday scheduled but cancelled due to the heat and chance of rain. Common sense won the day. Nothing good comes out of playing in the heat, especially when everyone else chooses to stay home. Would've been a paid practice session. Stay cool and hydrate everyone, and leave the nice gear at home!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How’d everyone survive the heat? Good I hope!

The hottest day of my outdoor gigs this week (4) was the outside wedding tux gig on Saturday under the ‘big top.’

Tux gig... I show up for my load in at 6:00. 1 person out of 7 band members has on tux! Thanks for letting me know. They decided to hot and had on variations of wardrobe. I just wore the tux pants and shirt.

Absolutely soaked after load in. Had a bath towel in car to dry off and change. They had large floor fans and spot fans located all around tent(which was gigantic with 3 chandeliers.) I had my Stanley fan set up. 2 Sugar Free Gatorades, 2 bottles of water, and 3 cranberry/water drinks throughout the gig.

There you have for anybody interested. Any stories?

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well we actually caught a break, on our outdoor gig 7/20/2019 the heat was 96 with 92% humidity, But a thunder storm came in and really cooled it down by 11 degrees. Still used fans and tons of water and two bananas.
1563814159187.png

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
95 in the shade. Had 2 powerful fans , one to he left one to the right , stereo cooling! Plenty of ice water. At one point I took a frozen water bottle and held it between my wrists , good way to quickly cool your blood and lower your core temp. I felt great didn’t sweat a drop until load out, that was the real work.
All in all it was a fun gig
Next weekend looking forward to cooler temps in the mid 80’s

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I loaded into a gig with my Rock and Roller cart last Friday in 90 degree heat. The gig was indoors in air conditioning, but by the time I got my sheeet in there, I was soaked. The dress was suit and tie. It took two sets before I finally cooled off.

The zipper pouch on my cymbal bag contains a bunch of cloth napkins that I've stolen from various venues. I constantly mop my brow with them.

I love living in south Florida, but I sometimes miss the cool days up north when I didn't have to sweat my ass off playing gigs.

I started out playing clarinet. Where did I go wrong? :occasion5:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Festival gig last night here in the NY area. Heat index was around 100 at hit time with high humidity, but we had a nice breeze coming off the water and two industrial fans on covered stage. Gig was fine. Load-out and packing up was tough and tiring in the humidity, though. And the flies were out by then, too. A cool shower later on at home was heavenly.

Latest posts