Outrageous Sonny Payne

conorguilfoyle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this complete concert on DVD, and it's amazing from soup to nuts. It's from a concert in Sweden that was originally a half hour tv show, this is the complete show. The dynamics from Sonny and the band are staggering.
There is a 15 min solo at the end from Sonny that includes incredible juggling and playing.
One of the greatest ever!
Conor

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
Conor - please tell me where I can get a copy of that DVD. Sonny is one of my absolute favourites and i posted a thread about him a few years back on DCI when I "re-discovered" him.

Tasteful, almost off-the -wall drumming and stick juggling in one hell of a package. A great shame and great pity he was taken WAY too early. :notworthy:

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first name band my dad took me to see, April 1970 (after I'd been playing drums a month), was the Basie band at Suttmilllers in Dayton, OH. Sonny Payne at the time was back and forth between Basie and the Harry James Orchestra...I happened to hear him when he was with the Count...and oh man, was it amazing!

The first tune they did was his arrangement of All of Me, which after the introduction, begins with Basie lightly tinkling the keys, very soft. About this time a waitress with a huge tray of food and drinks walks past our table and when she did, the entire band stands up and hits this huge SPLAT!!!!! She lost the whole thing...food and drinks flying EVERYwhere!

Sonny was amazing that night...simply amazing!!!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
What a Treat! Odie Payne is no slouch either.

j.edgarwarthog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to see the Basie band live on four occassions. I even got to shake Freddie Green's hand shortly before he passed. Only once was Sonny Payne with band, but it was very memorable. It was 1967 or so, at Elliott Hall of Music at Purdue University. The Basie band split the show with Petula Clark. Sonny took a solo late in the performance and at one point bounced his right stick off the floor tom and it went straight up about 20 feet. He caught it on the way down and never lost a beat. Then he did it again. Absolutely amazing. He has always been one of my favorite drummers. I agree that he left us WAY too soon.

conorguilfoyle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
kerope said:
Conor - please tell me where I can get a copy of that DVD. Sonny is one of my absolute favourites and i posted a thread about him a few years back on DCI when I "re-discovered" him.

Tasteful, almost off-the -wall drumming and stick juggling in one hell of a package. A great shame and great pity he was taken WAY too early. :notworthy:

It's part of an excellent series of dvds called jazz icons. Any one of them I have seen have been top notch in terms of production and content. The one with with Wes Montgomery has footage of him rehearsing the pick up band in Holland before a tv show, which is worth the price of admission alone.
Here's the link

http://jazzicons.com/

Conor

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
conorguilfoyle said:
kerope said:

It's part of an excellent series of dvds called jazz icons. Any one of them I have seen have been top notch in terms of production and content. The one with with Wes Montgomery has footage of him rehearsing the pick up band in Holland before a tv show, which is worth the price of admission alone.
Here's the link

http://jazzicons.com/

Conor

Oh, yeah. That's an incredible DVD. A young Han Bennink is playing drums on the Holland segment, and later, there's a TV segment with the legendary Jimmy Lovelace on drums. And Wes is, of course, awesome.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Sonny with Basie on my 8th birthday,1964,at Cincinnati's long gone "Penthouse" nightclub.
It was more or less the "April In Paris" band which happened to be my favorite album at that time...believe it or not.
I got Bill Basie's autograph that nite.Still have it,too.
TR

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
old_K_ride said:
I saw Sonny with Basie on my 8th birthday,1964,at Cincinnati's long gone "Penthouse" nightclub.
It was more or less the "April In Paris" band which happened to be my favorite album at that time...believe it or not.
I got Bill Basie's autograph that nite.Still have it,too.
TR

I also saw Basie in '64 when I was a freshmen in high school. His drummer was Rufus Jones, it was the first big band I had ever heard in person and I sat there all night awestruck. Later I got Basie's autograph (still have it) and Rufus Jones gave me a pair of sticks. He also told me "ya gotta learn to read the charts man, ya gotta read the charts". Frankly, I didn't understand what he was telling me at the time....but figured it out. :) What a night.

Steve

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember seeing a Jackie Gleason show where he featured several big bands, including Ellington, Harry James, Count Basie, and Henry Mancini. I don't remember who was with James (it was pre-Rich), but do remember Sam Woodyard, Sonny Payne, and Jack Sperling. All the bands were great, but Sonny blew my 11 year old mind completely.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
paul said:
I remember seeing a Jackie Gleason show where he featured several big bands, including Ellington, Harry James, Count Basie, and Henry Mancini. I don't remember who was with James (it was pre-Rich), but do remember Sam Woodyard, Sonny Payne, and Jack Sperling. All the bands were great, but Sonny blew my 11 year old mind completely.

I remember that! Also on the bill was Guy Lombardo featuring twin pianos, and I think Les Brown and His Band of Renown also. If I remember correctly the big bands were shown over two consecutive Saturday night episodes. The band I was in at the time was playing a Moose club and I remember all of us pausing while setting up in order to watch the show on the club's TV. I searched the web a number of times hoping to find those episodes on YouTube, but so far no luck.

Gleason himself had a big band and I have a couple of his LPs. All soft, romantic stuff. Billy Butterfield was on trumpet, others unknown. I never found out whether Gleason played an instrument, led the band, or just what his connection to it was. I know that Ray Bloch was the leader of the big band that played for his TV show.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Somebody recently directed me to the Drummerworld web site, where Payne is referred to as an "indifferent time-keeper." Whoever wrote that has his head up his ass. Sonny was a different animal--very much a showman--and he wasn't one of those subtle groove players like Jo Jones or Gus Johnson. But he played great time. You think Basie is going to hire a drummer who doesn't play good time?!

conorguilfoyle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Somebody recently directed me to the Drummerworld web site, where Payne is referred to as an "indifferent time-keeper." Whoever wrote that has his head up his ass. Sonny was a different animal--very much a showman--and he wasn't one of those subtle groove players like Jo Jones or Gus Johnson. But he played great time. You think Basie is going to hire a drummer who doesn't play good time?!

You're right, their head is firmly implanted!

Count Basie, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones and Sonny, time doesn't get better than that!

Conor

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
conorguilfoyle said:
Count Basie, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones and Sonny, time doesn't get better than that!

Conor

Amen!

Latest posts