overhead mic boom stands??

auto.pilot

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to pick up a couple of overhead boom stands. looking for something cheap/lightweight. the mics are about the size of my thumb, so i dont need anything too heavy. should i get the flat disc-type base or tripod? what brand name do you like? thx. jim

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I just picked up one of those stupid deals from MF, two booms for $21 or something like that. Best $21 I've spent in a long time.

markie04drum

Reaction score
I would go with tripods. Just remember to have a leg in the direction of the boom arm (just like with cymbals). You don't want a mic to fall. I also find the tripods, the legs diffuse some low end floor noise with sensitive condensers or ribbon mics, while some of those disc bases almost conduct that sound. My .02

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tripods are a lot easier to transport--for me anywho.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Those OnStage brand tripod booms work well enough for small overhead mics like that, plus they're light.

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can pay a little bit more, K&M stands are much higher quality than On-Stage. B&H Photo has them at a really good price $69.99 for the large telescoping stand.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
i use the "Proline" brand tri-pod style boom stands, i bought them at guitar center for about $30 bucks each.. great stands and very light weight. I used the Shure PG81 overhead mic's never had a problem with the stands.

H

hindadoon

I use my old heavier telescope type boom cymbal stands. Most mic clips have screw in adaptors that allow you to adapt and install on a cymbal stand......the eighties finally pay off... Remember that its not about supporting the weight in your case, but be mindful of how easily it can get knocked over....