Overhead Micing setup without spending a ton on boom stands

tripp2k

Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I'd like to find an inexpensive solution to get my overhead mics overhead in my home "studio"/gameroom with zero treatment. I don't want to spend $300+ for each boom.

Any ideas/suggestions?

eigentone

Reaction score
You only need one nice boom if you mic in X/Y Stereo. Buy a stereo bar. X/Y is really nice because there is little phase cancellation. It's not so nice if you want a huge stereo spread; It's more like tight and focused.

Reaction score
If you look at the top of this picture you'll see a black gooseneck coming down through the drop ceiling (right in front of the blue jam block.) I screwed one of those little desktop mic adapters into one of my floor joists, and drilled a small hole in the drop ceiling, the gooseneck comes through the hole, then I shock mounted one of those two mic adapters (stereo bars) on the gooseneck. My two Shure 81's are usually on that when they aren't packed up for work. I'm sure this could work without the drop ceiling too.

Hope that helps,
MSG

IMG_0718.JPG

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can buy suitable mic stands that will hold an overhead for $20.00 a piece. I bought a couple to gig with 5 years a ago on sale for $19.99 a piece that I am still using to this day and they have been gigged to death.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have my very heavy Coles 4038 on On Stage rolling stands - $114 ea from amazon

works great - though I am considering a pipe/shower bar installation along the ceiling to allow mic extensions to be clamped on from above. As I really never really move those stands around - because there isn't enough room to do so.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I'd like to find an inexpensive solution to get my overhead mics overhead in my home "studio"/gameroom with zero treatment. I don't want to spend $300+ for each boom.

Any ideas/suggestions?
I use a pair of these. They are not expensive ... i.e. about 200 each. That is well below your 300 each limit.
They work extremely well for my purposes. Not a great brand, but very well built. Very functional. Excellent adjustments and hold their positions like they should. The wheels are nice for positioning and moving ... and they lock once set.
I realize these are quite a bit more than just hanging something from the ceiling, but they do fit well within your parameters that you've set up. I've used mine for several years and can attest to them. They do the job well.

Screenshot_2019-08-20 Ultimate Support MC-125 Professional Studio Boom Microphone Stand.png

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I made these 2 overhead stands in the fotos for home use from 4 extra 1980's Tama regular boom cymbal stands. I made 2 more for play out from 4 extra heavy duty 1980's Tama telescoping boom cymbal stands. Great overhead stands.

Tama s1.jpg

Tama s2.jpg

Tama s3.jpg

Tama s5a.jpg

Tama s6.jpg

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama make a great mic boom stand that has really solid gearing. Won't ever sag on ya. They retail for about $200 in Australia, so likely half of that in the US.

Latest posts