Overhead stand solutions

tripp2k

Reaction score
<influenced by SM81 thread> Over the years, I've accumulated used Shure "drum" mics and I'd like to start doing some home recording.

What are you using for overhead boom stands or what are you encountering when supplied?

I'm trying to avoid buying huge, expensive stands for my man cave due to space limitations and $. Thanks!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a special overhead boom stand by K&M that is larger than the regular boom stand used for vocals etc. Not the super-huge kind, but works well with a standard-size drumkit.

tripp2k

Reaction score
There is a special overhead boom stand by K&M that is larger than the regular boom stand used for vocals etc. Not the super-huge kind, but works well with a standard-size drumkit.
This looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just have a cheap-o tripod, same one I use for singing, it goes higher than my ceiling does.
I'm sure this can work fine, I did this for years. The reason I got the one above was not really the height (although it's nice to have a bit of headroom, literally), but rather the longer boom and more solid base. With one oh mic or an x/y setup ashorter boom was a bit limiting.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I recommend the K&M stands. I cheaped out with stands off eBay & the second time I used them out they broke at the joint where the boom arm connects. The rotating part was made of plastic....

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, be careful with raising the cheaper boom stands up high. Some of these stands are so light, they topple over pretty easily, especially if you're putting heavier mics on the them.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, be careful with raising the cheaper boom stands up high. Some of these stands are so light, they topple over pretty easily, especially if you're putting heavier mics on the them.
That's when those unused dumbbells sitting next to the coat rack, er.... I mean treadmill, come in handy

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I should say my cheap-o stand came from a good reputable brick and mortar shop who back up anything they sell, and I tried it out before buying.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who fastened a rope to the mic and hung it Down from the ceiling. just like people hang tennis balls in the garage so they know when to stop with there large vehicles.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 for the k&m stands...I am in process of replacing all my cheapo stands with these.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20200128_211228.jpg

I will share my secret with you since you guys always share with me. See this tripod? It's on a regular cheap Musicians Friend mic stand that normally tips over when you actually use it to hold something as heavy as a little microphone. Those legs are hollow. I took steel rebar, cut it to size, and put it inside filled with copious amounts of Liquid Nails. That makes the base sturdy enough to hold a large diaphragm condenser mic. It's also much more convenient and sturdier than screwing on those round iron bases.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use a DR-Pro tripod boom for my vocal stand and it works for an overhead when I'm recording at home. Those K&M are nice too. Both are at the price point where they're not cheapy garbage but also pretty affordable.

I've also used whatever straight stand I have laying around when I just mic the cymbals (left side between the hi hat and left crash, right side between ride and right crash).

Iristone

Reaction score
I use a pair of very cheap Superlux stands. These work adequately for a Recorderman setting.

Latest posts