header.nohb.html

Overnight price jump on drumsticks. Did anyone notice this or any other hikes?

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think I am good for sticks for awhile.

The way wood stick prices are rising , Ahead Drum sticks are starting to look lot more reasonable price wise .
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
There is always a bright side. I have well over 100 pairs of sticks that I have never used and never will. Time to post them on CL :)

chakosticks

Reaction score
I haven’t bought sticks in years and I play at least an hour a day. Maybe don’t hit so hard? Unless it’s part of the act.

I used to do experiments with students about volume and stick stoke. I’m convinced the huge over the head stick strokes are for the the “mtv” affect only. I get Travis Barker has to do it but it’s part of his “act” and he makes millions playing the part so no fault there. But most of us could get away with playing loud enough for any gig at reasonable stick heights and enough technique to keep sticks in good shape for months, or even years.
I'm not a hard hitter. It's inevitable that wood sticks will wear down over time. Like I said, Oak 747s will last me 6 months of daily use (practice, local shows and tours - I always make it through shows with the same sticks I started with in my hands) before the tips start to splinter/the shaft starts to whittle down.

chakosticks

Reaction score
I think I am good for sticks for awhile.

The way wood stick prices are rising , Ahead Drum sticks are starting to look lot more reasonable price wise .
View attachment 585961 View attachment 585962 View attachment 585963
I do have a stockpile of sticks - including some Regal Tip 5Bs which are almost too nice to use haha. My stockpile is nylon 5Bs, 2Bs, a few 5As and a few signature model odds and ends. Around 2 years ago I switched to 747 Oak though, and I've really become accustomed to the weight, feel and length, so I really don't switch around sticks anymore. My band plays sort of post-punk/art rock/noise rock and the 747s work across the song list. I stay away from nylon Promarks because there is a consistent track record of the tips breaking off on first or second use for me... I'm not a heavy hitter and never had that problem even with the budget NOVA sticks made by Vic Firth.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes we can. We always have a choice to approach situations better.
Haha. Cool.

Yes, you can do your little bit to make things marginally better for you at home.

You also have to accept that this is a hell of a lot bigger than the states, and that you can’t just decide this ends now, America doesn’t have that ability.

The UK is on the cusp of blowing the worlds economy in the same way y’all did in 07/08. You have no say in that.

Global inflation going up, rampant in some areas. Again, outside your backyard.

Significant weather conditions happening around the world, both drought and La Niña, smashing food production in some parts. You can’t just snap your fingers and fix that.

Resources, manufacturing & technology impacted by everything above… seriously, what are you gonna do?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you think governments handled things well the last two years, then we don’t have much to discuss. Expensive drum sticks are the least of our worries.
I do like your use of plural because the culprits are not limited to a particular government. Some governments do have a record of holding folks accountable from wrecking economies. Iceland comes immediately to mind. Other governments are either aiding and abetting the robber barons, or are too weak or incompetent to be effective.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now you tell me about the stick inflation! I've been giving away dozens of pairs of new and used sticks the past few years. Just extra ones that show up
with kits. I seem to be able to make a pair last years. So I'm good.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you think governments handled things well the last two years, then we don’t have much to discuss. Expensive drum sticks are the least of our worries.

We shouldn’t have much to discuss because the forum rules are pretty clear but just in case you missed it…

“Introductions and chit-chat and general topics, Pretty much anything But NO Politics and NO Religion.”

So yeah, per the forum rules there is nothing to discuss here when it comes to the “government”

What part of the DFO rules are unclear to you?

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get through quite a few sticks.
It's really all about what the music needs.
If the music needs louder playing, my sticks can wear out. If the music requires rimshots, my sticks can wear out. If the music requires choppy, half open hi-hat, my sticks can wear out.
Sticks are 'consumables' unfortunately.