Overthinking Hi Hats

R41GSB

Reaction score
Help me stop overthinking this. I'm playing in a Tom Petty cover band and am very happy with my current cymbal setup--except for hi hats. I'm looking to buy used, roughly $200 budget.

I've played with various K and K custom hats lately but they have been either too heavy or too light. I want hats that can handle open, closed, and slosh well. My frontrunners are HHX Evolutions or New Beats, but are there other options I should be considering? Should I go traditional 14, or try 13s or 15s? I've searched the forums and listened to a ton of MyCymbal videos but still can't settle on anything.

Current setup:
-21" HH RBDR
-18" K Medium Thin Crash
-18" HHX Evolution Crash
-20" HHX Evolution Crash (soon)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you want hi hats you can play thru ("really" swish) without any fear of obnoxiousness
may I suggest
when machine bow pressed fail
need some hand hammered (more hand crafted
flexible choice and options
Used. they've come a long way

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a pair of Zildjian 15” or 16”. New Beats or various Ks. New Beat 15s or K Light 16 are my go to modern pairs. I’d avoid 14.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'd say try a lighter set of 15"s.

Im currently using a super light matched pair of trans stamps that are magical. When I need a little more chick I sub a heavier 60's bottom and all is right with the world again.
Do you do a lot of hi hat stick work in louder music?

cplueard

Reaction score
I'd suggest a pair of paragons. Nice blend of hammered and non-hammered, well within budget at 14", great rock sound. These ones a bit dirty too which should make them even more earthy.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
New Beat weights will not let you down. They don’t have to say “new beat” or be from Zildjian; look for a 2:3 ratio for the top and bottom weights. And “traditional” (not super dark or dry) sound.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oftentimes, I find top cymbals too heavy. it's a matter of volume I guess, but hats that do everything well tend not to be the loudest out there. The post-2013 New Beats are a safe bet; they feature a thinner top over the heavy bottom. 14" are the classic NB size.
Larger means lower pitch, and often less high-end.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Over-precision (in manufacture) sometimes is over done. Only have to be precise enough. Built to precise precise standardarized standard sometimes overlooks the organic desirable-natural, feel. Over-done, some cymbals..and just "getting them" thinner does not solve everything. An organic heavy can feel softer still retaining chick it's the difference being caressed thruout the entire manufacturing process versus precise heavy machinery seeking precision showroom dazzle perfection

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some 15" New Beats that sound like they'll scratch the itch that you have. You can find pairs for a real fair price out there.

mpungercar

Reaction score
I have both New Beats and HHX Evos, and if it were my decision, I’d go with the New Beats for that gig. I was thinking I read Stan actually used 13” New Beats at some point, but I could be mistaken.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set of early 80s new beats that are perfect for that application. 14s here. The older the new beats the better in my opinion

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just had a pair of 80's Sabian hats from the 80's....950/1450. New Beat weighting, though at a wide spread. And you could not tell them apart from Zildjians. Very smooth which comes from keeping the top hat under 1,000 gm or so.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I know the feeling of overthinking hats because I do it all the time. After a bout of overthinking, though, I have so far continued to conclude, "WTF, my New Beats are fine."

Also, while you surely know this, the tightness of the top cymbal seems to me to make an enormous difference. Just today I listened to some audios of hats (yeah, I'm still overthinking too) and found myself reacting to a few by thinking, "Of course they're going to sound like that with the top cymbal that tight."

I further found myself rejecting hats that didn't sound similar to the New Beats. I don't doubt that there are hats better than New Beats for this or that (and I keep looking for them) but do doubt that the differences are more than largely insignificant degrees.

Prompted by this question, I quickly googled Ferrone. It appears that he changed equipment (and endorsement deals) periodically. This tells me that the hats aren't really that important.

I'd therefore recommend sticking with New Beats--or anything else that sounds like them but appeals to you more at the moment. As for 13", 14", or 15", I've played them all and don't think the size matters much either. Since it doesn't, you might as well split the difference and go with 14".

The conclusion from this kind of thinking is, I'll admit, incredibly boring. It's like telling car shoppers at a BMW dealer to buy a Toyota--nothing sexy about that at all. But the Toyotas (and New Beats) work. Today I was captivated by a pair of Bosphorus hats. But when I asked myself if they were really an improvement over the New Beats, I had to answer no. Perhaps if I owned and played them for awhile I would realize that they are better, but based on sound files, I couldn't say that they are.

Good luck.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had HHX Evolutions and they were too "splashy" sounding, like it needed a heavier weight top hi hat to go with the bottom. I also had the Xcelerator's which were nice too. I'm running Paragon's right now and really like them. I's like to try out 15" versions of them to hear the difference. They have the New Beat meaty vibe.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
New Beats are great and you can get them in 15s. This is above your budget, but check out the HHX Complex Medium hats - they are truly great.

Latest posts