Oyster Black kit value ?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice find! Going by the '67 Ludwig catalog ( which I think covered 1966 models and maybe 1965 models) , it may be a Ludwig Hollywood set! Maybe came with a Supraphonic? Do the drums have any date stamps in the interiors?
Ludwig drums were flying out the door in '65 got no time to be stamping shells. Nada.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are worth 2-2500, maybe more if they are pristine.
On which planet? I keep seeing figures like that all over this and other boards, but I never see sets selling for those prices. In this market, with a glut of nice kits available, I bet you'd struggle to get $1500 for that kit even if it was in pristine condition, which it's not.

There was a couple of years lately where all of a sudden "classic" drum kits spiked in value. That's done. Turns out that there are tons of these kits on the market. Just not rare at all. Even very, very nice ones.

The only kits selling for those kind of prices are the Steve Maxwell-style kits that truly are rare enough to merit the label.

GeeDeeEmm

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Based on my research for a clean oyster black Keystone Hollywood kit it may bring 1500 or slightly more. Hypothetically If one could get it for 500 it could be worth while.

A few hunnert on bits and pieces and countless hrs of slave labor you might have yourself a nice kit.

Certainly don’t see any $$ to be made on a fix and flip

There was a time these would’ve been in my shop already.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
These will need a lot of work but could be well worth it. I'm going to guess they are from mid to later 1965. While Oyster Black is a highly desirable finish, these are not the Ringo sizes. I can't tell if the set has the other missing bass drum hoop and the other tom rims. If it does not then I would probably not want to spend more than $800-1000 as you would need to find those parts. The big plus is that it looks all original with no extra mods done to it. It also has the original oyster black finish which is just stunning in person. The right TLC could make this a beautiful set.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I totally agree, the core of the kit is solid and redeemable and would take a lot of time and effort to restore. Been there done that many times. If anyone has serious interest lmk and I can pursue. In the meantime I’ll take a pass , way more than I want to take on. I have all I can do just keeping my gigging kits pimped and primped

Latest posts