Oyster Wrap?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody know who is making the wrap for the Liverpool 4 kits from Ludwig? They are the most bang up replicas of BOP that I can find anywhere on the web. And my naked shells really want to get out of the Garage for the winter, and into the house for a warm project!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think its the same stuff that precisiondrum.com has.

http://precisiondrum.com/60_s-Oyster-Black.gif

All wrap comes from Delmar I believe...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Precision sells the 60's oyster Black which is (or has been) as close as you could get to the real thing for the past 10-15 years. This wrap varied by the batch (I believe a batch consists of 500 sheets of wrap) with some not being so great and some being really close (although none has been quite perfect).

The stuff Ludwig has been putting on their drums this year has been as close as anyone has come to re-creating the original (at least from what I've seen) but I don't know if Ludwig commisioned a new version of this wrap towards that end (meaning that it's probably exclusive to them) or if this is still the 60's version that Precision offers but a particularly great batch of it. Perhaps they did a batch or two taking special care, maybe Ludwig cherry picked the best wrap that was available, perhaps after all these years someone figured out how to consistantly make it look right...or maybe this is Ludwig's exclusive version made specifically to look like the original. That might mean that you won't be able to buy any of it on the aftermarket, although even exclusive wraps have a tendency to become available as raw wrap eventually.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Precision sells the 60's oyster Black which is (or has been) as close as you could get to the real thing for the past 10-15 years. This wrap varied by the batch (I believe a batch consists of 500 sheets of wrap) with some not being so great and some being really close (although none has been quite perfect).

The stuff Ludwig has been putting on their drums this year has been as close as anyone has come to re-creating the original (at least from what I've seen) but I don't know if Ludwig commisioned a new version of this wrap towards that end (meaning that it's probably exclusive to them) or if this is still the 60's version that Precision offers but a particularly great batch of it. Perhaps they did a batch or two taking special care, maybe Ludwig cherry picked the best wrap that was available, perhaps after all these years someone figured out how to consistantly make it look right...or maybe this is Ludwig's exclusive version made specifically to look like the original. That might mean that you won't be able to buy any of it on the aftermarket, although even exclusive wraps have a tendency to become available as raw wrap eventually.
This is really interesting. Would be cool to get to the bottom of this! Anybody familiar with the inner working s of Ludwig 2010 that could shed some light on the origin of this wrap and it's availabilty to the public?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There's several Ludwig guys here on board, maybe pose this as a new question, specifically saying "Hey Ludwig" in the title or something.... bet we can get an answer.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
By the way what ever happened to Wrapguru?

I believe the rising costs of petroleum quelled the production of drum wraps as of late diminishing WrapGuru's worth in the market so he switched to stained finishes. He now goes by the handle "mis-under-stained". :smile:

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what shells were you going to wrap? they'd better not be pearl exports......
No!
But I had wanted to wrap my old exports in a nice Ludwig style wrap. Just not sure which. I don't want to do anything more than a sparkle or anything.

But I've got a 22 6ply and a 16 6ply I acquired from my friends' studio that are candidates for love.

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No!
But I had wanted to wrap my old exports in a nice Ludwig style wrap. Just not sure which. I don't want to do anything more than a sparkle or anything.

But I've got a 22 6ply and a 16 6ply I acquired from my friends' studio that are candidates for love.

If you wrap anything foreign in this finish you will need an Export Wrapping License . . . those are available from me for $250 cash, certified check, or money order . . . PM me and I will respond with my contact info, so you will have your license when your new covering arrives . . . NAD

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have some 6 ply shells, 13 and 12 in mahagony cortex? there is no hardware but it does have b/o rounded badges. ya want them real cheap? pm me

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No!

If you wrap anything foreign in this finish you will need an Export Wrapping License . . . those are available from me for $250 cash, certified check, or money order . . . PM me and I will respond with my contact info, so you will have your license when your new covering arrives . . . NAD

LOL :razz:

Reaction score
Hello DFO,
Newbie here. I just finished my first restoration using early 60's Luddy orphans and a 55-59 WFL for the 18 and used Precision's OBP. I think it came out pretty good and it's pretty close to what I've seen pics of and in person. I posted some pics but I don't think the resolution is correct. Anyone have any advice on the best pixel setting to use to post pics? Once I get a better resolution, I'll post some new ones.

C

cpj83

The vintage BOP that Ludwig is currently offering IS exclusive to them as of now. It is a Delmar wrap.
Chris

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello DFO,
Newbie here. I just finished my first restoration using early 60's Luddy orphans and a 55-59 WFL for the 18 and used Precision's OBP. I think it came out pretty good and it's pretty close to what I've seen pics of and in person. I posted some pics but I don't think the resolution is correct. Anyone have any advice on the best pixel setting to use to post pics? Once I get a better resolution, I'll post some new ones.
These do look pretty good. I must say!

johnsunny

Reaction score
interesting infoooooooooooo :)
"If you wrap anything foreign in this finish you will need an Export Wrapping License . . . those are available from me for $250 cash, certified check, or money order . . . PM me and I will respond with my contact info, so you will have your license when your new covering arrives".

how can i have it?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The stuff that Ludwig is using (apparently exclusively) is about as close as anyone as come to matching the old stuff. The stuff precision sells has also had some runs that was very close to the old stuff. In either case a whole set wrapped in the stuff looks very nice (as does Ludslinger Tex's set above) as it all matches and looks nice and "Ringo-ish". Really the only problem comes if you want to intermix old drums in original wrap with newer ones wearing the new wrap. That's where the "close but no cigar" really comes into play. Of course this applies to most any drums wrap when you try to mix old with new because of fading that may have occurred to the older wrap and other variables. With the OBP the original swirl pattern hasn't ever been quite perfectly duplicated either but I have to give Ludwig credit as that new stuff is really close.

Here's a pic of some of precisions 60's stuff compared to some original 60's.