Oyster Wrap?

Mitch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stuff that Ludwig is using (apparently exclusively) is about as close as anyone as come to matching the old stuff. The stuff precision sells has also had some runs that was very close to the old stuff. In either case a whole set wrapped in the stuff looks very nice (as does Ludslinger Tex's set above) as it all matches and looks nice and "Ringo-ish". Really the only problem comes if you want to intermix old drums in original wrap with newer ones wearing the new wrap. That's where the "close but no cigar" really comes into play. Of course this applies to most any drums wrap when you try to mix old with new because of fading that may have occurred to the older wrap and other variables. With the OBP the original swirl pattern hasn't ever been quite perfectly duplicated either but I have to give Ludwig credit as that new stuff is really close.

Here's a pic of some of precisions 60's stuff compared to some original 60's.

Wow KO. That's a great side by side. Thank you for posting it. :occasion5: Really quite a difference in the 2. The newer manufacturing just doesn't capture the "pearl" essence IMO. Is your example recent? I do agree though that Ludslingers drums look great. I guess thats why im wondering if your example is current precision stock.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The stuff that Ludwig is using (apparently exclusively) is about as close as anyone as come to matching the old stuff. The stuff precision sells has also had some runs that was very close to the old stuff. In either case a whole set wrapped in the stuff looks very nice (as does Ludslinger Tex's set above) as it all matches and looks nice and "Ringo-ish". Really the only problem comes if you want to intermix old drums in original wrap with newer ones wearing the new wrap. That's where the "close but no cigar" really comes into play. Of course this applies to most any drums wrap when you try to mix old with new because of fading that may have occurred to the older wrap and other variables. With the OBP the original swirl pattern hasn't ever been quite perfectly duplicated either but I have to give Ludwig credit as that new stuff is really close.

Here's a pic of some of precisions 60's stuff compared to some original 60's.

Wow KO. That's a great side by side. Thank you for posting it. :occasion5: Really quite a difference in the 2. The newer manufacturing just doesn't capture the "pearl" essence IMO. Is your example recent? I do agree though that Ludslingers drums look great. I guess thats why im wondering if your example is current precision stock.
I got that wrap about 6-7 years ago from Precision and cloned a 14" floor tom (Keller shell) with it. Actually it was a halfway decent match to the old stuff from a distance (see photo below, small floor tom is the rewrap the rest are 60's originals). Up close though it was pretty obvious that it was different. The black is deeper in the new stuff and there is more silver and less white pearlescence evident. I have since replaced that 14" with an original one from the 60's.

This is all splitting hairs to a degree....heck from 15-20 feet away the bowling ball stuff looks pretty much just like Ringo's drums did and in photos taken at any distance they are "close enough" for most any "lay-person's" eyes...of course the view that really counts is the one from the drum thone and that's a much closer look at things.

Reaction score
Hello All,
Thanks for the positive comments on my kit. Just wanted to let everyone know that I found a great place to get early 60's Luddy short tom legs with the diamond knurling. I have had a terrible time trying to find them in very good condition. Bonzo drums referred me to a guy in Dallas that makes them. His website is jp2creations.com. Jim Petty is the man. They retail for 100.00 for a set of 3 and they look exactly like the original set I found and you don't have to worry about getting some old rusty one's replated. I know it ain't cheap but I think they are well worth the money. I'll take some pics and post on a new thread.