P85 snare throw off

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know that Ludwig started to replace the P85 at some snares recently. Personally, I don’t have any trouble with the p85. Is it the best? Probably not. Does it work? Yes. I’ve never had it give me problems during any gigs.

What are your thoughts on it?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve said a few times imo the p85 is like an older Honda Civic: reliable and fine but not the fastest, sexiest, burliest, etc.
Very true! Ludwig's new P88 is now the standard strainer on most US made snare drums. For a more vintage look, the drums can be ordered with the P85, which hold up reasonably well. I replaced the P85 with the P88 on one of my custom snare drums and it works, and looks, great!

-Mark

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only had about a dozen or so snares through the years, still have 6. Most have had P-85's. I've only had one that was finicky and after I took it off the snare and bent the arm just slightly I didn't have any more issues with it. I do have one P-88 and it's really nice, still just as simple as the 85 just seems to be a little better made. In contrast I've had a couple P-86s and didn't care for them as much, though I really like how they look.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like it. Looks like a strainer should. Instead of the perfume bottle looking thing that they use now.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
first generation p-85's are fine, but it's always p-83 for me. 20+ snares can't be wrong - and i gig them all.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I see the P85 like part of a tool. Ist off you can adjust the tension without having a latch in the way, so the two basic functions stay apart from each other. I look at it like their "good enough" and get the job done. I'm always riding the knob no matter what I'm doing. There on most of my snares...and the other ones aren't as functional...to me.

stuart s

Reaction score
The P85 is fine, just need to apply a few drops of 3 in 1 oil into the thread housing once and a while.

stuart s

Reaction score
P85 is the best strainer in drum history. simple and works great. if it ain't broke don't fix it.
..and if it does bind/lock up due to age, its only 20 bucks to easily replace, Agree with the comments about the new ones looking like perfume bottles LOL!

dangermoney

Reaction score
I like them and out of five snares, I've only had a minor issue with one of them which I was able to fix. My most recent snare has the P-88 AC and I really like this one.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only had two out of six not loosen and/or stick. I wouldn’t call that a success. And I’m a “Ludwig guy.” They’re great when they work, which in my experience is not often enough.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Apart from the loosening or sticking, which can be fixed temporarily, there are other strainers that just look and feel more solid and smooth. The ones on the Tama Starphonic line for example. But a significant percentage of drummers have spent their careers using Ludwig Supras and Acros night after night, so the P85 is the default comfort zone.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Some of you guys must be throwing your snares on and off multiple times a night at lightning speeds in the middle of songs and need the exact same tension on your wires everytime they are engaged to be as concerned as you are about your throw offs. You are probably also playing to discerning audiences who can tell when a subpar throw off is being used.

I use all of the original throw offs on my snares as I'm pretty square like that, I don't need the surgical precision others do, I'm just a hack anyway so the throw off isn't making or breaking me, no one in my audience is going to know, and personally I just like to keep things original when I can.

The only time I throw the snares off is if the wires buzz when the bass or guitar is tuning up.

Once in awhile I'll adjust the tension if it slacks off slightly or for a particular song. It doesn't bother me as it takes all of a couple seconds.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never had any problems with an 85, but I have an 88 AC on my Black Beauty. I appreciate its function and form... a little less finicky than an 85. Good with either, though.

Latest posts