Package Deal

BrownAle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I lost an opportunity on some great vintage Zildjians while I was away. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm strapped and figure I should get a brand new cymbal pack since I'll be having other drummers over to play my new vintage Slingies and since I don't have the cake to get the good ol' stuff right now.

So, on that note, what can you all recommend for a new cymbal pack at GC that'll sound vintage, like Beatles and Stones?

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BrownAle said:
I lost an opportunity on some great vintage Zildjians while I was away. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm strapped and figure I should get a brand new cymbal pack since I'll be having other drummers over to play my new vintage Slingies and since I don't have the cake to get the good ol' stuff right now.

So, on that note, what can you all recommend for a new cymbal pack at GC that'll sound vintage, like Beatles and Stones?

History repeats itself viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40509&p=414733#p414733

IMNSHO You are outta your mind if you buy a cheap cymbal pack from GC

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
BrownAle said:

Go with a Zildjian Armand cymbal pack; the Armand series were designed with the specific purpose of sounding like vintage cymbals. And, it ain't gonna be cheap. :)

BrownAle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the repeat Mountainhick but I guess I didn't make it clear on this one.

Considering all that I've got to purchase to get these Slingies up and running, I'm already broke. So I need to go cheap, like around $150, and everyone else in the last post talked about much more expensive cymbals.

So that's what I'm asking. Are there any cymbal packs out there for around $150 that might have that vintage sound? I see Sabian B8's on eBay for around that price and Zildjian Planets. Are they any good?

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BrownAle said:
Sorry for the repeat Mountainhick but I guess I didn't make it clear on this one.

Considering all that I've got to purchase to get these Slingies up and running, I'm already broke. So I need to go cheap, like around $150, and everyone else in the last post talked about much more expensive cymbals.

So that's what I'm asking. Are there any cymbal packs out there for around $150 that might have that vintage sound? I see Sabian B8's on eBay for around that price and Zildjian Planets. Are they any good?

Be patient, save and buy vintage. You can get a set of hats for $100, ride for $100 or under, and crash $80 or under. The cheap junk sounds like cheap junk, and if you buy such a pack, you won't be able to sell it for what you paid to offset the cost of good cymbals.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
you are not going to find a vintage sounding cymbal pack for 150.00, not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow.

here is what you could do, but each one seperately-
ride- 100 -125 on a good day
hats- 100-125 on a good day
16" crash 75-100 every day

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
mfryed2112 said:
you are not going to find a vintage sounding cymbal pack for 150.00, not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow.

here is what you could do, but each one seperately-
ride- 100 -125 on a good day
hats- 100-125 on a good day
16" crash 75-100 every day

You might be able to do it, if you have a year and do a lot of eBay searching. But there's no way you'll find a decent vintage-sounding cymbal pack for $150 unless you scour auctions, Craigslist, and pawnshops frequently. The closest and cheapest thing that's available right here and now is a used Sabian XS20 Performance pack. Those have a decent sound but even those will cost you at least $250 to $350, and they're only considered intermediate cymbals.

Avoid Zildjian ZBT and ZXT and Planet Z, you'll be throwing your money away on bad-sounding cymbals with very low resale value once you get tired of them. Sabian B8's are a bit better, but definitely avoid the Sabian Solars.

Your major problem is your immediate need and lack of money. With time, you can find good bargains, and with money, you can find good-sounding cymbals...but with neither, you're limited to the bottom-end beginner cymbal lines, which don't sound anything like vintage.

BrownAle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coelacanth, you are so correct about my immediate need and lack of funds.

I've been wanting a kit for a while now and I finally got something good over Xmas, an incomplete '63 Slingy kit. It's frustrating. I got nothing else and not only that but I don't have much work lined up either so cash for the good stuff isn't readily available. I'm only trying to complete this kit so I can keep my sanity. I've got to be playing. I don't much care for playing out. I think it's a waste of time and energy around my neck of the woods. But I do need that comradery in the practice room, playing, recording and having a few beers and laughter.

And with all due respect to the forum members. I've had some offers for things but nothing's panned out and I watched great deals go by on eBay in the meantime. I'd rather not partake in any member offerings but I do greatly value all your advice.

Has anybody else had these itchings? I'm playing my paradiddles on the furniture cushions. I haven;t even picked up the guitar lately to play or write. i feel like I've gotten myself bitten by another cursive bug.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
moneywise, i'd jump all over that deal on the sabians from dtk.

personally, i'd also consider some cracked and repaired vintage zildjian a's. i just bought one and really like it.

mike

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd second jumping on dtk's offer of the B8's. 5 cymbals for $100? You won't find that anywhere, and the Crashes are thin, so they'll sound decent. Go for it, you can bang on those until you've saved up money/spent your time searching on eBay.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
good for you, thats a sweet deal from dtk. always great to see a nice plan come together. :)

mike

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Yeah I think you did a good deal for what you want for right now .... B8s in the thin range are good starters and that's a really nice deal from dtk.

BA, I don't think that the members in the past threads were trying to oversell you or anything. The advice was good and well intentioned ... we'd like to see you spend your money wisely and get a good start to a set of cymbals that you will want to keep for a long time.

I don't think you made yourself clear enough the first time. Now that you have reiterated and explained further your quest makes more sense.

Good luck on getting the Slings up and running and I think you'll like the deal you're getting from dtk.

Robb

Latest posts