header.nohb.html

Paging Slingerland Experts

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen mounting hardware like this? I'm guessing it's not Slingerland, looks like some kinda' plumbing. Opinions welcome!!

thank you!

00o0o_4PjhbwqiUhVz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Premier?
Could be.
Has a flavor of the early 70s mount.
Not sure though.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang , now I’m flat broke ……

Could someone loan me a dime ??

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I'm going to take a look at a different Slingy kit, photo below. 'Looks like a 70s kit. I see that the tension rods on the player side of the kick are not original. Seller says he has them. Anything in particular I should watch out for when checking out their condition?

00s0s_9sTgVxPe1Wgz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Thank you!

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The black kit appears to be later 70's, possibly even early 80's. They may be 5-ply shells if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited:

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those appear to be later 70's, possibly even early 80's. They may be 5-ply shells if that makes a difference to you.
Aside from the number of plys is there a significant difference between the Slingerland three-ply and five-ply shells? Do you know if the serial numbers will help estimate the year(s)?

thank you!

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aside from the number of plys is there a significant difference between the Slingerland three-ply and five-ply shells? Do you know if the serial numbers will help estimate the year(s)?

thank you!

5-ply shells do not have re-rings. Yes, serials can help estimate date.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I'm going to take a look at a different Slingy kit, photo below. 'Looks like a 70s kit. I see that the tension rods on the player side of the kick are not original. Seller says he has them. Anything in particular I should watch out for when checking out their condition?

View attachment 593729

Thank you!
If they are 3-ply shells, check all the bearing edges for ply and reinforcing ring separation. It's not the end of the world, but you will certainly spend hours with a glue syringe and clamps.

This will get you started on dating the drums based on the badge type and serial numbers.

Serial Numbers:

Badges:

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The five ply shells have a brighter sound, more resonance and more projection. The three ply shells are more muted, mellower, quieter. Both can be great depending on what you are going to play with them, heads, tuning and your basic technique. The five ply shells are comparable to other thick no re-ring drums of that era ie. Sonor, Ludwig.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
The set-o-matic is placed a bit too far forward for a single tom kit. Might it have originally had a super-set-o-matic double tom holder, as they had to be placed forward of the centerline.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The set-o-matic is placed a bit too far forward for a single tom kit. Might it have originally had a super-set-o-matic double tom holder, as they had to be placed forward of the centerline.

I'd agree, Slingerland put the base in different spots depending on which holder was going to be installed. That far forward configuration was for the Super Set-o-matic. Single set-o-matic was biased towards the batter. Regular double Set-o-matic was more in the center or the same as the single.

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Perhaps, especially being a 22”. Appears a bit crooked which may mean a DIY job? Would be worth examining the interior.
After years of playing a single SOM in the more standard center position, I now also have a set with the mount in the pictured position. Imo, it’s actually far more versatile as it doesn’t force the tom out into left field.

Phil