Painfully sad article about Neil Peart's final days

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Consider the source, the singer of Godsmack, Sully Erna. However the article appears genuine and just adds to my ongoing heartbreak over this whole tragic situation.

"According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut."

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just read the comments and I agree with most of those people. I wish I would have never posted this nor stumbled across it to begin with.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Total loser. He met Neil twice, perhaps, and he makes it sound like they were friends. He said he knew Neil was sick when the tour ended which is total BS. People who are diagnosed with Glioblastoma live an average of 12 to 15 months. Less than 7% live five years. This is all with treatment which includes surgery and chemo and a lot of dehbilitating side effects. No way Neil went on tour in 2015 with knowledge of his condition. Neil was posting on his site until May 2016 and exchanged an email with SKF in the beginning of June so he probably got the diagnosis shortly thereafter. That's right at the 3 1/2 year mark that was cited in the announcement.

Based on Erna, he was friends with Neil's assistant. If that is where Erna was getting his information I suspect it was not with Neil's blessing. I hope that is not the case and Erna is just making all of this up.

This tool is just trying to bring attention to himself.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is also interesting that the audio on blabbermouth has the statement about Neil's condition but it has been neatly edited out of the same audio on the radio station's web site. It was not a live call so I wonder if the station back tracked and pulled those words out after the blabbermouth article hit and all of the negative comments started?

gmiller598

Reaction score
Total loser. He met Neil twice, perhaps, and he makes it sound like they were friends. He said he knew he was sick when the tour ended which is total BS. People who are diagnosed with Glioblastoma live an average of 12 to 15 months. Less than 7% live five years. This is all with treatment which includes surgery and chemo and a lot of dehbilitating side effects. No way Neil went on tour in 2015 with knowledge of his condition. Neil was posting on his site until May 2016 and exchanged an email with SKF in the beginning of June so he probably got the diagnosis shortly thereafter. That's right at the 3 1/2 year mark that was cited in the announcement.

Based on Erna, he was friends with Neil's assistant. If that is where Erna was getting his information I suspect it was not with Neil's blessing. I hope that is not the case and Erna is just making all of this up.

This tool is just trying to bring attention to himself.
He did not know when they were on tour. That seems more plausible to be right about when he stopped his website so I think you are exactly right.

Groov-E

Reaction score
This obsession some have with cause of death and end of life circumstances is so disheartening, not to say sickening.

I mean, does any of it change the end result ? Voyeurism and attention seeking is what it is.

To those concerned I would definitely suggest some volunteer work at an end of life treatment center to help them put things into perspective.

We are all the same when our time comes to face the ultimate common denominator, but the people around us do have a choice to act with dignity and respect.

And hopefully we will forever be judged by our behaviour in such hard times.

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Wow - his comments were highly inappropriate and quite disrespectful to Neil’s family and the Rush organization. Very unfortunate...

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow. I don't know what you guys read, but I thought it was a good article. No different than the Mike Portnoy one.
Yes. I don't get all the fuss either. Neil was a huge part of my life. I would like to know as much as I can about his last years on earth, as long as it is done with respect.

PaulD

Reaction score
It's painfully obvious, or should be, that someone in their last days of cancer is going to be in that state. It's really not necessary to say it. I hope Erma is just ignorant and not seeking attention. I really hope it's the former.

Portnoy's statement came across as far more genuine and respectful.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. I don't get all the fuss either. Neil was a huge part of my life. I would like to know as much as I can about his last years on earth, as long as it is done with respect.
Just wanted to add that when my father died, I felt very little sadness. I think the only thing that bugged me was that we did not have a better relationship through the years. When Neil died, I cried. It was like when my Father in law died. I had lost someone that I really looked up to and respected. Maybe some people need to know the details to help them heal. I think I fall into this category.