Painfully sad article about Neil Peart's final days

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
He shoulda just kept his mouth shut. As private as Neil is he never shoulda divulged that information.
I totally agree! What a jerk to leak that out. Neil would be very unhappy to hear that he divulged that information. I read it yesterday and I haven't been able to get that mental picture out of my mind. Neil deserved a much better ending to his life...he also deserved a better friend than Sully Erna.
Going through this horrific experience with my dad back in 1998, I couldn't imagine doing this to him...

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. I don't get all the fuss either. Neil was a huge part of my life. I would like to know as much as I can about his last years on earth, as long as it is done with respect.
That's the thing. You may feel entitled to that info but you are not. I think Neil and his family would be horrified to know some hanger on was running his mouth about Neil's specific condition assuming he actually knows anything. If they wanted you to know this they wouldn't have kept it a secret or Carrie or Geddy or Alex would be giving out details.

It is sensitive enough that the radio station edited out the statement about being in a wheelchair and being unable to talk so they obviously thought it was out of bounds.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The D-bags are coming out in force. Bentley's Drum Shop just posted (and sold) a Time Machine snare for $3000. Maybe it's worth that, but the optics are wayyyy bad.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I totally agree! What a jerk to leak that out. Neil would be very unhappy to hear that he divulged that information. I read it yesterday and I haven't been able to get that mental picture out of my mind. Neil deserved a much better ending to his life...he also deserved a better friend than Sully Erna.
Going through this horrific experience with my dad back in 1998, I couldn't imagine doing this to him...
This article will give you a much more pleasant mental image of Neil facing his illness.

Drm1979

Reaction score
This article will give you a much more pleasant mental image of Neil facing his illness.

Well maybe not much more pleasant as cancer is anything but pleasant. But at least a better image than what that jackwad sully said.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of Sully Erna and was shocked to know there is "a feature documentary we're doing on (his) life story".

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I've read the article a couple times and still don't understand what has everyone so upset. Please, enlighten me. What exactly has gotten all you guys in such a tizzy? I'm a big fan just like you guys and just don't get it.
Same as so many other celeb stories: If he’d wanted this out there, he’d have released it himself.

Peart dealt with a remarkable amount of personal tragedy, and seemed to be more private for it. The singer from a second-tier early 2000’s butt-rock outfit trying to make an interview more interesting with some dead-celebrity-of-the-moment gossip does seem pretty tacky. Like he knows that Neal Peart dying is still more interesting than anything he’s done in his own life, but can’t resist those scraps.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The D-bags are coming out in force. Bentley's Drum Shop just posted (and sold) a Time Machine snare for $3000. Maybe it's worth that, but the optics are wayyyy bad.
I am waiting for all the guys who own his past kits from contest to show up on Reverb or the like.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Like any celebrity that passes, there will be rumors and inaccurate stories. I saw one of “the last photographs” of Neil, Alex and Geddy together posted somewhere and it turned out to be from the Snakes and Arrows tour.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I thought. No one can tell me specifically what he said that was so bad or insulting. He was obviously a fan as so many us were and he expressed him self as such.
Three words - couldn't speak, wheelchair. No-one wants to think about someone in those terms, especially a hero who took his privacy so seriously. Many of us (probably all) who have seen loved ones in the final stages of life know that it is incredibly, painfully heartbreaking. For a man so revered who would have trusted someone in his circle with that knowledge would likely be disappointed to say the least that trust had been broken. The outrage is on the man's behalf. I certainly don't want to think of NP in any other way than sitting stoic-faced concentrating on playing a well thought out Rush song.

That said, most metal bands that have mainstream success are lightning rods for any and all types of holier-than-thou criticism from the diehards. Combine those 2 and you get this thread.

I think Sully is a D-bag for the former. The Bentley's shop will also no longer receive $0.01 of my business.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
If you do nothing else while existing on this planet, at least respect the wishes of those who are no longer with us. Especially when it's such an insidious disease as brain cancer. I don't recall anyone going around blabbing about Frank Zappa's last days with prostate cancer. I'm sure they weren't pretty either. And countless other musicians and regular people who have been taken by diseases and illnesses that cause our bodies to break down on us, especially at ages that are far too young.

PaulD

Reaction score
As I thought. No one can tell me specifically what he said that was so bad or insulting. He was obviously a fan as so many us were and he expressed him self as such.
It's extremely presumptuous to talk about a very private time like that in public if you're not a family member. In this case, "family member" probably extends to his bandmates, but not to someone like Sully Erma. It's also a bit tough to swallow that he was that good a friend of Neil's. Neil had talked about and/or did videos with Taylor Hawkins, Mike Portnoy, Stewart Copeland, etc, but there's no mention of Erma.

I wouldn't quite say it was insulting to Neil, but it was in bad taste.

Latest posts