Painted Inlay?

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone painted the inlay on a bass drum hoop?

I have an old marching BD I'm thinking about removing the wrap. My neighbor is getting ready to paint (another) car so maybe he could do the drum at the same time. The drum has black hoops with inlays. I originally thought about painting them all black, but lately I've been thinking about having the inlay grooves painted the same as the shell.

Has anyone here done this? Does anyone have pictures to share?

kallen49

Reaction score
Attached drum shows 1969 bass drum with painted resonant hoop, (no inlay), and batter hoop that was missing the inlay so I painted the inlay area to match the drums.
Realize that this is not for everyone. Makes me happy. Go for it! Paint can be removed, repainted or covered.

I don’t like the look of the black resonant hoop and intend to paint an inlay on it someday.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What color are you thinking to paint the hoops? What color are the drums? I've always refinished hoops with satin black spray paint and then satin poly over that. The inlay is usually silver. I've also refinished hoops to match (closely) the wood stain I did drums. Are you talking about painting the inlay groove the same color as the drums? Eg: red kit would have black hoops and a red painted "inlay"?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No problem at all. Go ahead and paint the hoops black now (if needed) so the paint will be cured and ready to be taped. To insure the blue paint matches the shells he will need to shoot the same primer in the channels before he shoots the matching color as the black base could change the tint of the blue paint.

I have no pics to share but I have done it at customer request in the past. I personally always cut new inlay for the hoops to complement the set color when painting. In your example I might look for a matching blue sparkle to set the hoops off against the blue of the shell. But as for your original question, it's not that uncommon to paint the channel on hoops.

Good luck what ever direction you go and post up those pics when your done!