Painted Luddy Restoration finally done :-)

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - some time ago I scored a 1971 Ludwig Super Classic kit - clear MPM interiors - 12, 13, 14, 22 and a Supra snare. But the shells were painted white and the hardware black. The shells were in great condition and so were the hardware. So I decided to give it a go at restoring. After hours of rubbing, scrubbing and polishing, I finally finished the job over the weekend and here are the before and after pics - I think they came out quite nicely!

Attachments

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fantastic job. I had to do this myself with a Butcher Block wrap Rogers kit. I used Goof off to remove the paint and a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a jaw-dropping good transformation. I can't imagine how much work went into removing the paint from all those lug casings.

The white marine pearl wrap is gorgeous. Was this under the paint, or did you do fresh wrap?

Would love to see more photos of the finished kit.

GeeDeeEmm

Black Label

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I used lacquer thinners to get rid of the paint. That worked for the shells and for the hardware and did not damage the wrap at all.

Black Label

Reaction score
That is a jaw-dropping good transformation. I can't imagine how much work went into removing the paint from all those lug casings.

The white marine pearl wrap is gorgeous. Was this under the paint, or did you do fresh wrap?

Would love to see more photos of the finished kit.

GeeDeeEmm
Hi there - the wrap was under the paint. So that is the original wrap. I will post some more pics of the kit.

Attachments

Black Label

Reaction score
Gimme 5 mins. alone with the jackwagon who painted over that WMP! :angry5:

Gorgeous refurb!
:) Iactually know the guy who painted the drums and he is one hell of a nice chap - he was just an adventurous teenager at the time, not realizing then that what he was doing was sacrilege:) One day on a run, he told me about this kit that he used to have in a "mother pf pearl" wrap and that he painted it white as he thought it would look cool. I asked him where the kit was and he told me that he sold it years ago to a young scholar and he still had contact with his parents. I asked him to call them and ask whether they still had the drums - he called me and told me that (as is often the case and as I was hoping for) the son lost interest in the drums and the kit is in the way - I am free to make them an offer. I put in a cheeky offer of about the equivalent of USD 65 and they accepted - so for that I scored the shells, a painted Supra (which I am still in the process of restoring), a Speed King pedal and other bits and bobs. Sometimes long shots pay off . And had he not painted the drums in the first place I probably would never have known about them :)

Latest posts